Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

GOETZ: 1 of 6, Opus 135

Although not the best example of my most recent acquisitions, I nonetheless like the piece for it's patina and obverse design...

Opus 135: AUSTRIAN AND GERMAN ALLIANCE (Ich hatt’ einen Kameraden, 1914, Cast AE 80mm. Obverse, Franz Joseph I of Austria and Wilhelm II of Germany. Reverse Inscription “I once had a comrade, you cannot find a better one, 1914.”

Comments

• Options
    Scott
    That is superb - I've seen several of yours posted here.

What type of prices are we looking at for these items?

L
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Very nice!! imageimage "Ich hatt’ einen Kameraden" was a song popular among German soldiers. In this case, the German and Austrian soldiers here are shown as buddies. Many, many German and Austrian WWI medals feature an obverse design with conjoined busts of Wilhelm and Franz Joseph.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Your photography skills are truly impressive, Cacheman. I am in awe.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    Looking at the soldier on the right (reverse) what is above his head ? (and to the left of his head also)

L
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    Lloyd, It appears that both soldiers have feather ornamentation on their hats. The other item that is projecting from the pack on his back I haven't a clue. When I find out I'll let you know. Most of the pieces I buy are anywhere between $200 and $600 a pop. Of course you can buy many "mishandled" pieces for less. Some of the rarer pieces go for much higher...much higher!!
  • Options
    good stuff there!
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Exquisite detail in the larger image-how far were you from the coin, etc-we want specifics!image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    The camera lens was sitting 8" above the medal. You have to remember that that this piece is 3 1/2" across. The initial image from the camera was 1475 pixels wide...the large image above was resized to 800 pixels across...so if you want detail, you should see the original!!!
  • Options
    Beautiful medal, and a beautiful job of photographing it as always! image The feathers might actually be sprigs of plants or trees. At least back in the Napoleonic era it was quite common for an entire regiment to decorate their helmets that way in the Austrian army.
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    You're probably right Vern...and what I thought was coming out of his pack may be his rifle with a sprig in it to...cool, early flower children image
  • Options
    imageimage
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Actually, it's a sprig of edelweiss, the national flower of modern Austria.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    ...flower children indeed!image

Nice medal, Cache! I like the patina and colors too. Also, good pictures.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Scott - I would like to express my admiration for your continuing to post those beautiful Goetz medals and your photo skills. It is great that you share these with the group - it is like a history and art lesson rolled into one.
    Thanks,
    Shep
  • Options
    Awesome stuff!!!!!!!!
    Bill

09/07/2006