Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is grey-side sale upsetting

It seems some of our grey side collectors(posted in Toronto Star by Robert AAron Coins) have heartburn over the sale of the two unique Royal Mint coins to Andy. Star Link

Comments

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Since only one of each coin was minted, the Bank of Canada numismatic collection will never be able to have a complete collection of Canadian coins. - - from Toronto Star >>

Never? Rubbish! All they have to do is pay Andy DOUBLE! I'm sure he might deal with them. Bottom line is; if they were so important, why didn't a Canadian bid more.....ah, 20-20 hindsight!

I'm reminded of the Japanese contingent that came to the Pittman Sale for a rare 1880 (?) proof set. I suspect their agents bought the individual coins on the first 'go-thru', because noone would up the "group price" at over $400k. Cool part was that a 12 year old kid was the high bidder on the little copper piece (1 sen?) for a few hundred bucks, so he got to take it home. image
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    "Another problem with the sale is that the buyer was Andy Lustig, an American coin dealer."

What a bunch of oafs.....sore losers. Why did they mint the coins in the first place then? Why did they offer them for sale??

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    The only problem the author of the article should have is with RCM.
    Joe
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    It certainly stinks of a snooty, elitist, British tone doesn't it?
  • Options
    AvarelAvarel Posts: 143 ✭✭
    I think that the RCM set a bad precedent by minting one of a kinds to specifically sell as they did, but then again with all the crazy stuff that does come out of that mint it doesnt surprise me any. It wouldn't be the first mint to try something different, wont be the last. So much of catalog of RCM falls through the floorboard in the after-market I wish they did something.

Is there some sort of bad blood between the author and Andy beyond the nasty American's how dare you sentiment? I find the phrase 'Another problem with the sale is that the buyer was Andy Lustig, an American coin dealer' to be quite pointed.
    Chirsto duce vincamus

Pro Deo Et Patria
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    The Canadians are just drumming up bad press against the US to give them public support for their army's upcoming invasion of the lower 48! image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    I'm going up there in a couple of weeks. Not to worry. I'll straighten this all out.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Some of us Canadians don't have a problem with the production of these coins, or their purchase by an American.
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    On a recent visit to Canada this summer, my 12 year old said" Dad, it looks just like the United States". Add in the movies, music, clothing styles, etc. from the US that seem to dominate Canada, and I'm not suprised the Canadians are a little defensive about unique Canadian items ending up here.image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    "Using eBay, an American-owned online auction house"

This guy's certainly got it in for anything unCandadian. What a snivelling snob....!! And believe me, I'm an expert in Snobbery coming from this island - we invented it.

Must be a personal and political agenda - look at the last paragraph:

"The blame for this idea falls on the shoulders of David Dingwall, former Liberal politico and now CEO of the Royal Canadian Mint. Hopefully, he won't do it again. "

Yawl ought to email him individually - give him hell....!!!

L
  • Options
    On a recent visit to Canada this summer, my 12 year old said" Dad, it looks just like the United States". Add in the movies, music, clothing styles, etc. from the US that seem to dominate Canada, and I'm not suprised the Canadians are a little defensive about unique Canadian items ending up here.

That's because the US has changed itself to look a lot like Canada image
  • Options
    mongoosemongoose Posts: 589 ✭✭
    When you see a Tim Horton's, and moose wandering the streets of Mobile Alabama, you'll know the change has run its full course.image
    Joe
  • Options
    C'mon, isn't Toronto mostly Liberals who have nothing better to do than complain about this type of stuff?
  • Options
    Oh, please dont blame this on liberals it is just some stupid reporter that had nothing better to write than this garbage. Better time could be spent writing about softwood lumber or wheat tariffs.

Note: Capital L is used for the Liberal party, lowercase l is used for liberals in general. This is an important distinction that people have to be aware of in Canada because there is a Liberal party.
    Corrupting youth since 2004
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Well, I just sent a letter to the editor of the Star, so we'll see what deeper kimchi I can get Andy into now that he's reviled all across Canada! image Since it's coming from Texas, it really ought to get Mr. Aaron's dander up.

Any of you "locals" happen to know whether Robert Aaron is a dealer or some other notable Canadian collector?
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Actually Andy bought these for an anonymous client.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    I have seen a few articles from Robert Aaron over the years. I'm not sure if he is a collector or dealer. His articles are mostly coins or currency related.
  • Options
    The Star railed against the millenium 25¢ series, and rightfully so too.
  • Options
    I don't care that they minted the coins and I don't care who purchased them. I can neither afford them nor am I interested in them.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Canadians are just drumming up bad press against the US to give them public support for their army's upcoming invasion of the lower 48! >>

will it be 1813 all over again. They burnt Buffalo last time they invaded. If they do it again I'm not sure anyone will notice.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    That is not the only thing we burnt...

But still all in all the Americans did win the War of 1812 because of the Treaty of Ghent.
    Corrupting youth since 2004
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey! How did I miss this thread until now!

Anyway, to answer the question "Is there some sort of bad blood between the author and Andy?, the answer is "no". Never heard of the guy. But if he's so upset, he should even the score and buy the King of Siam set.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    But if he's so upset, he should even the score and buy the King of Siam set. image
    If he cares so much about the BoC collection, Mr Aaron should pony up the cash himself, or organize a group effort to buy the one of a kind coins for them.

It's easy and inexpensive to gripe after the fact.
    Joe
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The author seemed to say things that were designed to be inflammatory (maybe he actually felt it was a problem that an American got them, but then, it went to the high bidder...not like Andy was given the right of first refusal).

It is tempting to find the author's mailing address and have a copy of the South Park movie from a few years ago sent to him image
    (The movie was called something like: South Park the movie...Bigger, better, uncut......I forget the exact title but Canada was the central theme in typical South Park humor style..heh).

Anyway, kudos to Andy, although someone said it was for an anonymous client....I think it would be cool to own current 1 of a kind coinage that was official. I can imagine that sooner or later, someone in canada will want to own them...just make sure they pay in US dollars image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    mongoosemongoose Posts: 589 ✭✭
    From the Aaron article in Andy's thread: Canadian coins should be minted in sufficient quantities so that every collector who wants one and is willing to pay the price can purchase one.
    I agree with the thought, but this hasn't been a reality at RCM or other World mints for quite some time.

I just have to believe that someone at RCM knew exactly what was being created. Specifically, two unique Canadian coins.image
    Joe
  • Options

<< <i>From the Aaron article in Andy's thread: Canadian coins should be minted in sufficient quantities so that every collector who wants one and is willing to pay the price can purchase one.
    I agree with the thought, but this hasn't been a reality at RCM or other World mints for quite some time.

I just have to believe that someone at RCM knew exactly what was being created. Specifically, two unique Canadian coins.image >>

Maybe the RCM just needs to mint unique coins in sufficient quantities so that every collector who wants one and is willing to pay the price can purchase one. image

Hey, I have dibs on a Diving Goose dollar struck in tombac!
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    If Andy did indeed buy them for an anonymous client, I wonder if that client might be rareCanadian? Somehow those coins would seem to fit into their investment scheme. And I'd be happy knowing they got them, because their collection is so awesome.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i> That is not the only thing we burnt... >>

......and then, the Brits fell back to Halifax and spent 30+ years building the Citadel for an American invasion....hahahahaha!
    Nice design, though. I wonder if those cannonballs would have really richocheted around the corners of the interior walls, or just blown a hole in the walls.

OK, back on topic......I believe Sid was an underbidder on one of the coins. Maybe it was just a case of Texas Hold 'em; a setup hand, eh!
  • Options
    ...or maybe Sid lost on purpose so as to make it appear that he didn't buy, but then hooked up with some American...

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    If Andy did indeed buy them for an anonymous client, I wonder if that client might be rareCanadian?

Nope, although he did contact me immediately after the sale. I'd be happy to post his message, but the CU censor-software wouldn't allow it. image
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Nope, although he did contact me immediately after the sale. I'd be happy to post his message, but the CU censor-software wouldn't allow it.

Well, you have our attention now. Can you at least hint?
  • Options
    Can you at least hint?

In the interest of the friendship between our two great nations, I have no choice but to deny your request.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    No, I definitely know that Sid was "up there" but not quite "over the top." Frankly, I did expect him to win them.
    Askari

• Options
    If Sid would have won them, would someone have whined in the press that he isn't "Canadian enough" because much of his collection was sold to Americans (including two coins to yours truly)?
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    WHAT!?!?!?! You purloined two of Canada's greatest treasures?!?!? You ... you ... you snake you!! :mad;
    Askari

• Options
    In my defense, I must clarify that one of the coins was a 1918 Newfoundland 50 cent piece, thus it was not technically a Canadian treasure.

The 1911 "quarter" was, though. image
    Obscurum per obscurius