Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The toned vs.untoned debate. Why does it have to be so absolute?

This really interests me. I have been collecting seriously for over twenty five years. I prefer both white and toned coins. I have seen white coins with blinding knockout luster that drips off the coins like liquid chrome and I have seen toned coins that sizzle with rainbow colors. I have also encountered ugly coins within both realms as well as average ones within both categories. Aesthetics is not a black and white matter. It is highly subjective. I cannot understand how some people are so absolute in their collecting criteria. This is not a black & white matter, at least for me it isn't.
I think those who place themselves within such a box, are missing out on alot, or perhaps, as their collecting patterns mature, they may become more open minded. I really don't know, its just hard to comprehend the recent threads and how absolute and firm they are in their stance.
I can fully understand how some folks are very firm within the series they collect, I am one of them, but luster, color, and toning, are so subjective,much more so than the aesthetics of a design. I can see someone saying, The SBA dollar is an ugly coin, I can respect that, or the Barber dime is average in its design, or "I love Walkers", etc, . Those are fixed and concrete designs that are absolute and will not change, so its a simpler matter of aesthetics., but toning and luster, and eye appeal. Those are far more fragile. Just my opinion.

Comments

• Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
  • Options
    I agree. It seems odd to me too. Like you say...an SBA is an SBA is an SBA (or insert any series). But there is so much variety to a coins appearance between Blast White and Dark Black that I can't say Blast White Only or Toned Only.

I enjoy both untoned and toned coins even though I do have definite tastes when it comes to the type of toning that I like.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't... but unfortunately subjectivity associated with toned and untoned coins is something that stirs passion and leads to some colorful discussions here and that will probably not change. thanks for sharing your well reasoned thoughts image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    I like blast white coins and I like nicely toned coins.

For all the people who don't care for toned coins......................GOOD! MORE FOR ME!

• Options
    Jason:
    Shouldn't that be "More for US!"

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For all the people who don't care for toned coins......................GOOD! MORE FOR ME! >>

HEY! QUIT SHOVING!!!

MORE RAINBOWS FOR LUCY!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This disturbs me. Everyone knows that toned lovers are supposed to hate untoned lovers and vice versa. It's like the Yankees and Mets, or the Cubs and the White Sox. You CAN NOT be a true fan of one team without hating the other. If you claim that you like both, then you are just wishy washy and obviously have a problem taking a stand on anything.
  • Options
    I have really come to an appreciation of both. And there was a time I wouldn't even really look at a coin that wasn't toned.

My experience with the Dark Side has opened my mind to a lot of things in numismatics which I either didn't think I liked, or simply didn't pay much attention to.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm betting that the people that do not like Toned coins only drive a Chevy that is Black or White. Any other color spoils thier day. Oh Yea... the interior is that drab Gray or Puke Brown color they have now. image

Ken
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>only drive a Chevy that is Black or White. Any other color spoils thier day >>

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    I like both tone and untoned coins!image Both pictures are a 22 - D, the top is MS64 and the bottom is MS63.image

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Brian,

I prefer white coins always have and always will. However, I don't prefer dipped out coins. I quick look at my dimes, and one will find a few toned coins mixed in with my mostly white set. There are even some natural coins that have a hint of grey. I have a $5 eagle that is layered with rose at the base, Liberty's hair, and the branch. I would have to say this coin is an absolute gem because of the color. I am not sold on the tone, but if the tone is acceptable, I'm fine with it. The best way for me to explain it is, "only buy the coin if you like it, becuase if you don't like it, maybe nobody else will either."

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Brian,

You're spot on. Attractive coins come in many flavors. Good post.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lucy those White Dipper people Hate your car. Way to much color there. image

Tony you are slowly coming around to the virtues of color. Heck a year ago you would not touch a colored merc. image

Ken
  • Options
    To each their own and it is all o.k.....respect each other's individuality! What someone likes today, they may not like next year, and so forth! There are no absolutes....just stay true to yourself, and don't worry about others!

~*Bugs*~
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Ken,

Let's see I have a 1969 Chevelle that is white and a 1978 Nova that is Black, and my my 2002 Ford ZX2 is Black.

MAN I'M IN TROUBLE! image

Yes, you are correct, a year or so ago I would not touch them!

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    I enjoy my toned coins very much, I also enjoy my blast white gsa or non gsa morgans which were what I collected second after collecting gaudens. I also enjoy the contravercy (sp)over morgans toned or white, I have learned a lot, but I am glad gaudens do not turn all the colors of the rainbow. it keeps it simpleimage
    Michael
  • Options
    I forgot to mention I would trade a few coins for a weekend back in 1969 when I drove a 69 Camaro SS
    Michael
  • Options
    My car's black , my coins are white. What does this mean ? I dunno !
    Just repainted my car because it was turning gray.
    I'm not sure I'd dip my coins if they started toning.

I guess I just prefer my most valued possesions to be in new condition.

There seems to be collectors who will accept nothing but blast white,
    others who won't look at a coin if it's not toned, and probably many
    more who aren't so demanding and can appreciate both sides.

I know what I prefer but I'm learning to be less judgemental of those
    who collect in a different style.

Life's to short to worry about the opinions of everyone else !
  • Options
    No real anser, just makes a great debate, over and over and over again....then over and over and over again....I just like stuff to look new as well. I think coins might be only the collectible where stuff can grow on it or change it and some people will like it, other collectibles that change in it's appearance decreases it's value big time. i don't think people pay extra for rust on cars, colored ot stained cards or currencey.................
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer coins that haven't been messed with. Since this thread is about absolutes can I know with absolute certainty whether a coin has been messed with? Only if I've own the coin since the time it was in it's original Mint Set or Mint bag or Mint roll. Sometimes I have to live with something short of absolute certainty. In those cases I try to arrive at a high level of certainty regarding how a coins has arrived at this point in time in its current condition.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    It's a silly debate, that's for sure.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Actually, I think the underlying issue is whether or not coins should be dipped.

As a tone lover, I hate the thought that any coin might be dipped. And what is the motivation to dip a coin? To make it blast white. Thus untoned lovers knowingly or not encouraging dipping.

Of course, the counter argument is AT. Untoned lovers can argue that tone lovers knowingly or not encourage artificial toning; thus the endless debate.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    I have a hard time understanding the toned vs.untoned debate these coins are both pcgs ms64 so it make me think I'm the only one doesn't get it. to me this tone is pretty darn ugly

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    MacCoin,

I think we are all in agreement. That is some UGLY toning and I would never want that coin.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file