Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I let this get away from me because...

...it was another foreign e-bay seller who only wants cash in an envelope. 1862 rupee I've only sent cash once (on a forum members advice to a seller he trusted) and held my breath until he received payment. I just wasn't ready to do it again image Plus after a lot of thought (and an observation by jester) I wasn't sure it wasn't AU instead of UNC and on the most common date I wanted UNC. Do a lot of you regularly send cash through the mail; have any of you been burned in the process?
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    ??? Seller accepts PayPal, checks, and MO's. Did you post the right link?

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    Right from the auction:

<< <i>Seller's payment instructions:
    POST UK £1.00 WORLD £2.00.PAYMENT USA CASH ONLY PLEASE. Insurance cost payed by buyer if wanted
    >>

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    But under "Payment methods accepted", he has all the others listed. image

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I have sent cash to settle eBay purchases under $30. many times (over 450 items). I've never had a problem with the payment not being recieved and acknowledged. It was my preferred payment method until about a year ago. Now I normally use Paypal.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    I've sent cash also, in small amounts, but only occasionally. Now I frequently pass on sellers that don't accept PayPal. It's just easier to make a payment with a few keystrokes.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lauent, I would have emailed the seller to see if he would have accepted PayPal in £. Also, if you have an account with a major international bank, HSBC (the old Marine Midland) for example, you can get money orders made out in GBP.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I use cash exclusively, even for expensive items/purchases. However, I'm not advocating that method of payment for anybody else. I only bid on and/or buy from trusted sources.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    As another foreign seller I'll translate. I think he means that if you're going to send foreign cash ONLY US DOLLARS ARE ACCEPTED. No notes Transylvania Dracbills and all that....

His communication skills will put him out of biziness.

L
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    I believe Lloyd is correct. Fees for changing money are not low in Britain (or other European nations, for that matter) and very small amounts of currency of other countries can sometimes be impossible to exchange. Even here in the US, try exchanging change for dollars when you return from foreign travel and you'll be surprised at the minimums required. Often coins can't be exchanged at all.

As for sending cash, I avoid it if at all possible, but have done it for amounts < $75 to nations with reasonably secure postal systems and only to eBay sellers with > 100 postive feedback scores. I prefer not to send change, only bills, because the change is a dead giveaway and can cause the letter to be torn. In any case, I use only security business envelopes and insert them in a page or two of folded paper so they can't be seen or felt.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Carbon paper helps - apparently blinds the scanner. Also a nice outside marking "URGENT : IMPORTANT APPLICATION FORM ENCLOSED"

L
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Lloyd, I didn't know that about carbon paper.

Askari is absolutely right about change. Sending change (unless it's secured to paper and covered/camouflaged) is tantamount to asking your envelope to be damaged/lost/stolen/pilfered.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Just in general I think you did the right thing Laurentyvan.

On eBay I take extra careful measures (as much as you can) to protect myself. I have absolutely passed on more than a couple auctions that I was very tempted by... because something just didn't add up in the equation to me. My attitude is "Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid." So far it has helped keep me out of trouble.

For instance, about two weeks ago a new seller popped up with about 70 auctions of Canadian material. Zero feedback--nice stuff. I sent him a "Ask Seller a Question" inquiring as to if he had any references and if he could tell me just a little about himself. Since he had no feedback. A reasonable request I think. He wrote a short note back saying he was sorry I didn't trust him (not the point).

So I watched his auctions, and the first one that was ending he shut down in the last 2 minutes. Had reasonable bids on it too. That cinched it for me right there. He still has auctions up, and there are a couple coins I would like. But, I'm not going to bid.

The Bay of Eee is a dark and murky place. I also know time is a river. And sure as sure, other auctions will come floating by. If I even have the slightest doubt--I don't bid. Period.

Especially on Ajaans auctions. image

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Especially on Ajaans auctions >>

Hey, I resemble that remark.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don