Home U.S. Coin Forum

Life on eBay - Dontcha love it!

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
At eBay’s request - they were responding to a complaint by a seller - I provided them with the following string of messages. Note that I was the BUYER in this transaction. Enjoy!

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 7:58 AM
To: andyl@eurekatrading.com
Subject: Item number: (deleted)

PLEASE EMAIL ME YOUR ADDRESS FOR THE 1997 COIN EBAY ITEM # (deleted) THE PAPER THE ADDRESS WAS ON WAS WET WHEN I RECEIVED THE CHECK AND I CANT READ IT,, THANKS JAMIE

Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 9:39 AM
Subject: Item#(deleted)

hello, i received the coin back today, and the package is stamped signuture refused by addressee.... confirm your address with me again.. i dont understand what up.. confirm the address with me and ill send it fed-ex next day to you so youll have it on wed. if i get your address so enough.

Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 10:01 AM
To: (deleted)
Subject: RE: Item#(deleted)

I don’t understand that either. For Fedex purposes, please use the following address:

Andy Lustig
(My street address was provided)

Thank you.

Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 12:36 PM
Subject: Re: Item#(deleted)

i dont want to inconvince you or delay your item any longer so ill send it fed-ex next day to you... youll have it on wed.. thanks Jamie

Sent: Friday, October 17, 2003 11:04 AM
Subject: RE: Item#(deleted)

Jamie –

It’s Friday and I still don’t have the package. Please provide a Fedex tracking number. I expect to hear from you TODAY.

Thank you.

NOTE: I RECEIVED NO RESPONSE TO THE ABOVE MESSAGE. THE NEXT COMMUNICATION WAS AS FOLLOWS:

Sent: Monday, October 20, 2003 6:42 AM
Subject: (deleted)

YOUR ABOUT A DUMB SON-OF-A-BIT..CH FOR LEAVING A NEG. FEEDBACK. I HAVE SENT EBAY A COPY OF THE FED-EX BILL WERE IT WAS SENT LAST THURSDAY AND WHERE IT IS IN TRANSIT..WELL ANY WAYS, I LEFT YOU A NEGITIVE ALSO.. SO, HAVE A BAD DAY,AS..HOLE..

Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 10:08 AM
Subject: RE: cion

Jamie –

Received the coin today. Thank you.

BTW, Fedex says that they picked the package up at 5:33 PM yesterday. Honest communications could have prevented the negative feedback.

Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 1:01 PM
Subject: Re: FW: Item#(deleted)

TIME ABOUT IS FAIR PLAY. .... NOW THAT YOU RECEIVED THE COIN VIA FED-EX, ILL BE MOVING FORWARD WITH THE LEGAL PROCEEDS OF THIS MATTER FOR THE NEG. FEEDBACK YOU LEFT, AND THE ADVURSE AFFECT IT WILL HAVE ON MY REPUTATION ON EBAY.. ILL BE IN TOUCH, JAMIE

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• That is very interesting. What do you suppose that clown was smoking?
    Paul in Pine Hill
    ----------------------------------------
    My ebay auctions

• TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
    Good grief! That is ridiculous! image
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Wow, a nice walk in the pasture was ruined when you stepped on a muffin.image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • That is about the most interesting EBAY transaction that I have seen in a long long time.

Bulldo
    Proud to have fought for America, and to be an AMERICAN!

No good deed will go unpunished.

Free Money Search

• << <i>Wow, a nice walk in the pasture was ruined when you stepped on a muffin.image >>

Would that be a meadow muffin?
    Paul in Pine Hill
    My ebay auctions

• DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Cosmo,

Absolutely, from a bull. image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ILL BE MOVING FORWARD WITH THE LEGAL PROCEEDS OF THIS MATTER FOR THE NEG. FEEDBACK YOU LEFT >>

Bwuahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Russ, NCNE
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

People take their Negs seriously
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People take their Negs seriously

Me too. I knew I'd get nailed with a payback "neg", but figured I had no choice. I owe it to the community to provide honest feedback.
    Andy Lustig

• << <i>What do you suppose that clown was smoking? >>

You unfairly disparage "herb"... he was undoubtably drinking. image

A true "head" would blow it off.

• << <i>
    You unfairly disparage "herb"... he was undoubtably drinking. image

A true "head" would blow it off. >>

Too true ... though he could have been smoking crack.
    Paul in Pine Hill
    My ebay auctions

• As odd as it may seem, I am cautious of sellers who type in all caps, particularly when they can't spell worth a damn. A lot of those people seem to be real kooks.
    As odd as it may seem, I am cautious of sellers who type in all caps, particularly when they can't spell worth a damn. A lot of those people seem to be real kooks.

YOU MEAN LIKE STEWART BLAY???
    Andy Lustig

• Yes.
  • JoshLJoshL Posts: 656 ✭✭
    TIME ABOUT IS FAIR PLAY. .... NOW THAT YOU RECEIVED THE COIN VIA FED-EX, ILL BE MOVING FORWARD WITH THE LEGAL PROCEEDS OF THIS MATTER FOR THE NEG. FEEDBACK YOU LEFT, AND THE ADVURSE AFFECT IT WILL HAVE ON MY REPUTATION ON EBAY.. ILL BE IN TOUCH, JAMIE

BAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA

OH BAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Ok well tI just got my laugh for the day...that is just too funny...

I love coins...image
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy:

Your a modern collector??image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Interesting series of messages. Better get a good lawyer since you have now
    damaged his Ebay reputation! image
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • I'm sure that you'll be getting a certified letter from Dewey, Cheatham & Howe!
  • What I find hard to believe is that someone who obviously has some sort of disorder can actually turn on a computer let alone list items successfully on EBay. It is a wonder you actually received the item. image
  • How could you neg a soul as pure and gentle as this man?

Would you cast him out in the street among lepers? Would you sell his children into bondage? Would you empty his fridge that he no longer have beer on Sunday?

A cruel master you are. Cruel, thoughtless and vile. May he find hope and brotherhood in more loving waters than the Bay of Eee.image

St. Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Why did you Neg him so quickly? All of this happened in the course of a week and you Neg'd him. I'm with him on this, you should have been more understanding. Especially since he states the coin was returned. It could very well have been a simple mistake. I had a seller Neg me 5 years ago over a $2 coin and a lack of communication. Remind me not to sell to you.
  • Seems like the seller was keeping you updated and trying to maintain good communication. (Although in broken English) If he had been ignoring you and not answering emails then I could understand, but in this case I think you were too quick to leave negative feedback.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
    Forbid it, Almighty God!
    I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    ~PATRICK HENRY~
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some ebayers just have no clue. I am in the midst of a certain neg exchange from a buyer who sent me a total piece of excrement in an NGC64 holder. I told him as much and said I wanted to return his
    "gem" as described by him. His response was that if you can't trust PCGS and NGC what is the world coming to? Huh? He's just a poor ole seller and my complaint should be with NGC. Get real. Since when are NGC and PCGS the end all? I can see if he had a stated no-return policy but he didn't. The REAL KICKER was attempting to charge me a 3% restocking fee that also was never mentioned. His reasoning was that ebay was going to charge him for the transaction and that he was not about to lose money on the deal. Seems that he never heard about contacting ebay to cancel the transaction and get his commission back. Why does ebay have to be littered with know-nothing sellers like this?
    Shipping both ways and a 3% restock fee comes to a total loss of 7% just for privilege of seeing a coin.
    Others have similar policies but at least they have clearly stated verbage to stand behind. I just love it when sellers make up rules to fit the situation.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Sometimes you just have to live with it, as unfair and unrational people may be.
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    legal action because of advurse reputation on eBay ???

Is suppose that guy will have a difficult time getting a membership on Eureka Tradingimage
  • Andy,

Thanks for having the intestinal fortitude to neg the guy when you did and as you did. Your actions not only will benefit folks considering a bid on his coins, but also will give him second thoughts the next time he decides to lie and screw around with an honest buyer.

Thanks again.
    Go well.
    All of this happened in the course of a week and you Neg'd him.

No. There are only seven days in a week. To recap:

He told me he was mailing on Oct 8. (That was already late, supposedly because his note with my address got wet.)

The he told me on Oct 14 that the pacage was returned by the USPS because "signature refused by addressee". (Huh?)

Oct 14, he also said he would Fedex the coin and I would have it on Oct 15.

The package did not arrive on Oct 15 as promised.

The package did not arrive on Oct 16.

On the morning of October 17, the package had still not arrived and I asked for the tracking number. No response.

On Oct 18, I continued to wait for a response.

On the evening of October 19, I neg'd him, stating "Probably a fraud. Still haven't received my coin. Contact me for an update."

Was told too many lies. I have no regrets.

Andy Lustig

• Andy, the neg was justified. Heck, once the profanity starts flying
    and the seller gets hostile, he deserves it. If you can't maintain a
    professional manner, then you should stay in your cage.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Andy, the neg was justified. Heck, once the profanity starts flying and the seller gets hostile, he deserves it. If you can't maintain a professional manner, then you should stay in your cage. >>

The profanity started flying AFTER the neg. was posted, not before (for clarification's sake).

+I've had personal checks arrive three weeks past an auction close.
    +I've had coins take up to a month to arrive.
    +I've had (a member here) write me at the end of an auction telling me "the coin has misplaced and can't be found" when the closing price was half of what he was expecting.

Yet I've never given out a Neg. (only one neutral) and have left no feedback in a few cases. Negatives should be reserved for out and out fraud and blatant scams/lies.
    Miscommunications that are fixed (and rather quickly- within two weeks here- true?) and YOU LIKED the COIN don't warrant Negative Feedback, in my opinion.

Negative feedback is also a tool to warn others in a loud voice. What are others being warned of here?

peacockcoins

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What are others being warned of here? >>

that the seller is a LIAR
    What are others being warned of here?

At the time I left the feedback, it seemed highly likely that the sale was a fraud. If you have any doubts about that, please review the original post. My feedback stated "Probably a fraud. Still haven't received my coin. Contact me for an update." How much clearer can that be? How long would you have had me wait before posting a "warning" to other buyers? If the guy had been a pure scam artist (and I use the word "artist" in the "performance art" sense of the word), how many people could have been taken because I waited to leave the neg?

Edited to say that this was only the second neg I have ever left. I have no regrets about either one.
    Andy Lustig

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you read Andy's time line, and the info from FedEX, you will see the package was not shipped until "AFTER" the neg was left. I doubt it was ever sent before this time. Sounds like some trying to make a buyer give up.

Andy, you should have neg'd him the first day. That way you would have recieved it right away.

As for real reasons for things to take so long, none of those apply here.

I have had things take a month to get to me, and a month to get to a buyer. I just tell them to wait the 30 days it takes to file a claim. (this seller did not claim it was in the mail and to wait). It was a bad address, then a return and then his alarm didn't go off, then ....

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I concur, a neg was warranted.

<< <i>What are others being warned of here? At the time I left the feedback, it seemed highly likely that the sale was a fraud. If you have any doubts about that, please review the original post. My feedback stated "Probably a fraud. Still haven't received my coin. Contact me for an update." How much clearer can that be? How long would you have had me wait before posting a "warning" to other buyers? If the guy had been a pure scam artist (and I use the word "artist" in the "performance art" sense of the word), how many people could have been taken because I waited to leave the neg? Edited to say that this was only the second neg I have ever left. I have no regrets about either one. >>

OK, good enough.

As a side note: how is the coin?

peacockcoins

• LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too bad you can't neg a guy again for a stupid response to a neg.

There really needs to be a stupid law, and that guy owes $5.00 for violating it.
  • NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
    "VERY DUMB BUYER. WATCH OUT FOR THIS NEG. FEEDBACK HAPPY HO"

You HO!!!image
    As a side note: how is the coin?

It was a rip! image

It was a PCGS MS 69 FDR $5 at less than $200. Which, BTW, made the whole thing seem more likely to be a scam.
    Andy Lustig

• SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Andy-- How much profit are you going to make?

Seth
    Collecting since 1976.
    Andy-- How much profit are you going to make?

About $3 an hour...before legal fees!
    Andy Lustig

• IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I don't have a problem with the negative, I think too few are handed out rather than too many. This is another seller who fell out of a stupid tree and seems to have hit every limb on the way down.
  • uofa1285uofa1285 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭
    The Neg you gave out was WAY too fast. Two to three weeks is not out of line, especially if delivery problems were noted. Some transactions just take longer for many reasons and as long as communication was active, you should have been more patient, IMO.

Doug
    Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the things happened as stated (timeline/lying/etc) then I think it is justified for the lying.
    If FEDEX showed the package as not being received until 1 day after the neg, when the seller said it would be next day, then the seller was lying or plain wrong. If they had no plans to get it out the next day, or ran into a problem, they should have told Andy that.

Maybe Andy was right and it was a scam and his "impatience", as others have stated, actually scared the seller into sending it out to him asap.

Whatever it is, the seller has a duty to ship an item soon after the auction (yes....soon...a relative term, but it shouldn't be more than 3-5 days unless otherwise communicated) just as the buyer as the obligation to pay soon after the auction (again, soon, a relative term, but maybe that is why some sellers state they expect payment within X# of days (I have seen 3 and I have seen 10)).

If the seller was communicated with and there were such problems, the seller should have let the buyer know (hey, sorry....couldn't get to the PO today so I will try tomorrow and keep you informed).

There are those that will always disagree....maybe because it hits too close to home or they just see 1 side of it. But, I tried to look at both sides. It was just that the timeline (again, if it occurred as Andy has stated) is so damn incriminating along with the "communication problems".

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Bochiman,

Are you a seller in any capacity?

Doug
    Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. I am not.
    And, before you attack me in any capacity about it, since I am not a seller, please understand that I consider it a large difference in sellers of those that sell a lot on ebay (business of some sort) and those that are casual. If you, as a seller, treat it as a business, then I expect my package out within 48 hours. I expect you to have it available for sale, unless otherwise stated in the auction, and to be ready to have it sent out within 48 hours unless otherwise stated.
    If you are a casual seller, then, I think that you, as a seller, should get it out within 3-5 business days (once a week). That way, it can cover people that can only go to the PO on Saturdays. I have no problems with that, as long as it is communicated.

And, before you attack me as only a buyer, remember, communication is key. If a seller can't be bothered with updated communication, then they should expect possible problems.

So, uofa1285, are you a seller on ebay? As a seller, do you believe that it was appropriate of the seller to do things the way he did them? Do you think he should have ignored Andy or told him one thing about the shipping, then not have done anything until a week+ later and only after the neg?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Bochiman,

Based on your personal comments in a previous thread and then this one, I just wanted to confirm some impressions I was getting...confirmed.

Doug
    Maybe Andy was right and it was a scam and his "impatience", as others have stated, actually scared the seller into sending it out to him asap.

I don't think I scared him. Somehow, I think that he thought that delivering the coin would clear the way for a defamation lawsuit. It may seem like a really stupid idea, but what did you expect from this guy?
    Andy Lustig

I think many of us have overactive imaginations and time to speculate on that which is not evidenced.

peacockcoins

.... NOW THAT YOU RECEIVED THE COIN VIA FED-EX, ILL BE MOVING FORWARD WITH THE LEGAL PROCEEDS OF THIS MATTER FOR THE NEG. FEEDBACK YOU LEFT, AND THE ADVURSE AFFECT IT WILL HAVE ON MY REPUTATION ON EBAY..

Doesn't take much of an imagination to figure this out.
    Andy Lustig

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I read, I believe the guy is an outright scam. I see nothing to make me believe he ever sent it until the neg was given. Should be a fun court case. Got to love the frivolous types, in some cases stupidity should be a capital offense.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
    ttt for the newbies that might enjoy a good laugh!
    Andy Lustig

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file