Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

for those of you that were excited when the state qtrs. first came out

Have you since lost interest in them? Or are you still saving them?
"If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".

Comments

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I still save them.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    yes, sometimes out of shear bordom, found 6 blank planchets out of rolls, addind to 5 coin books of state quarters
  • Options
    I started with rolls, realized they were worthless. now keep 4 albums for kids and 2 sets of silver proofs. If anybody wants sets of first 4 years at face let me know.
  • Options
    Yes, I'm still getting one roll each at face value (Denver mint.) image
  • Options
    lost interest ~ abandoned set
  • Options

I wasn't really excited, but I'm still building my proof Registry Set. Only a few more years to go...
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    Mine are still under the sink.image
  • Options
    I save the State quarters but in mint rolls or mint bags only. I wanted to get the PCGS Flag
    Sets on Ebay but a hundred bucks + shipping? I can get a nice Morgan for that!

Alex

Morgan Lover!
    Alex in Alaska
    Collecting Morgans in Any Grade
  • Options
    maybe my interested has dropped a tad, esp. since my state is out(MO) but I still find enjoyment in finding the new state in circulation and snatching up a few for my collection.
  • Options
    Mint sets and proof sets only
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Just the silver proof 10 (or 9) coin set for me...
    Bill Ferguson
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    from a dealer point of view...collectors dont seem that interested....had 2 requests at a show this past weekend...when they first came out...everyone wanted em....guess they are casual now...just pick em up out of change....
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep up with the clad and silver Proofs. That's no different from what I have done with modern coins for many years.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    DrWhoDrWho Posts: 562 ✭✭
    I only collect them, to keep the moderns up to date.

Y'all must not be watching the CoinVault, where they're HOT HOT RARE GOLD PLATINUM COLORIZED!
  • Options
    I mainly collect the silver proof sets of them.

As far as out of circulation, I sort of collect them...mostly though, it just makes a good savings program.
  • Options
    I'm still looking for nice ones in change. My family is trying to finish an album. I'm not as excited as I was. I will be pretty excited when I see any new Jefferson design!
  • Options
    I still and will collect the mint proofs, clad and silver times 5. We can't forget the munchkins...image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    Still have a map folder(YES,a map folder)and couple other folers(for different years and mints).And my grandpa's getting me a roll of MO P and D quarters for christmas plus 1999,2000,2001,and 2002 quarters plated gold and platinum plus the D's and P's off of HSN b4 I could save him.
  • Options
    I'm not as excited now, but it's still a collecting interest. Maybe it's because of disappointment of how some of the designs have been altered from the artist's original concept.

I purcahse two mint sets, two clad proof sets, and one silver proof every year. One of these years when I become a father I'll pass them down.
    Lurking proudly on internet forums since 2001
  • Options
    Lightside
  • Options
    Lightside
  • Options
    I save 5 dansco state quarter albums, ms+proofs, 10 clad proof sets, 10 silver proof sets, 3 rolls of P+D (from U.S. mint)

I think the Silver proof sets will appreciate the most, in the years to come.

My goal is a pcgs ms68 P+D slabs for Rhode Island, Maine, Ohio

In 2015, somebody on EBAY will buy the coins for more then face.

Administrator, please erase the previous two posts, thank you.

Lightside
  • Options
    I bought a Dansco album when they first came out and was gung-ho for a while.
    Seems there's only one inspired design per year.

I do buy a couple proof and silver proof sets a year.
  • Options
    islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    Im waiting for the Guam state quarter to come out in 2046image
    YCCTidewater.com
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    My wife stuffs a Whitman album with new ones. I use it as an excuse to buy coins. A dealer I buy from offers to free new state quarters if I buy some coins. I do it all for her, really.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I collect the silver proof sets from the mint every year. And I am doing the proof 69 flag thing for the fun of it (I know I am paying more than they are worth, but it is FUN). With the announcement of Wisconsin (the state where I live) getting the cow, I may have to stop at the end of this year--they really suck!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm no less excited by the coins than I ever was. In fact I had pretty low expectations for
    the coins from a artistic or investment perspective and so far they've proven a pleasant
    surprise. The most important thing for them was to focus attention on coins again and this
    they have done reasonably well. There has been a drop off of public interest in these but
    it's probably not as great as some assume. There was an exagerration of their importance
    in the early years and this has evaporated. It was a virtual certainty from the beginning
    that there would be a period of relative quiet in such a long series. The California coin
    will be out in a little more than a year and that should mark a fairly high point in the series,
    and the end of any potentially overlooked states.

It is a little disappointing that there are not more signs of a rapidly emerging market in the
    less expensive coins that beginners prefer, but there are signs that a real transformation of
    the market is underway nonetheless. Low grade buffs and indians are going for over $1 each
    again, inexpensive BU moderns are still selling well, and most low priced 20th century coins
    show real signs of life. Perhaps too much is being expected of these markets. There are very
    large numbers of most of these coins and any movement in prices at all takes a real change in
    demand.

Time will tell.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made several thousand $ on the first few $25 mint bags and gave it up.

Once the mint started making bags to fill the orders it was all over.

The first Denver bags brought $800+ each.

I still love the state program because of the interest it brought to the hobby.

We need all the new folks possible to keep the hobby doing well.
    Larry

• Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    I still do a couple of small bags and a bunch of silver sets.
    still working the gravy from the 99 bags a figureimage
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    I have a Harris album for P & D clad that I still fill as they are released. I live in NC, so it's difficult to get nice high grade circulated or uncirc D's, so those I'll buy at shows for 50 cents apiece.

I still like them. It's what got me interested in coins again, and I like that the quarter is the workhorse of US coinage.

David
    David
  • Options
    I have a collection of state quarter panels (one for each state) from the Postal Commemorative Society that I am putting together for my kids. I receive one every other month . Each 8.5" x 11" panel includes two BU quarters, one from the Denver mint and one Philly. Each panel has a description of the design chosen for the coin and what its' significance in history is. Additionally, each has narrative of the state's history, a picture of the state flag, state seal and a photograph of a historical point of interest in that particular state. The state motto, bird, flower, tree etc... are also noted. Finally, each panel comes with two, mint condition postage stamps specifically related to the particular state. The coins and stamps are sealed to protect them from handling.

The set is a great conversation piece, a nice learning tool for my kids and once complete will be something they would hopefully keep and pass on to their children.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file