Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Common cards - have you ever sold them to a player, friend or relative?

2»

Comments

• Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    I received another email today...

Hi i was wonder if you had anymore cards for Norm Thompson, beleive it or not the reason i ask is because norm thompson is my father. I am only 18 so didnt get to watch him play like my brothers and sisters so i would at least like to have some of his cards.If you do can you scan and show me which ones you do have so I can pick the ones I would like to purchase.

thanks,

Nigel Thompson

1978 TOPPS #29 NORM THOMPSON COLTS PSA 9
  • Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    I think I just sold a Dan Schatzeder card to Dan Schatzeder.

That's the name in his Paypal at least.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Many of us who collected the '65 set have bought & sold cards to & from Dan, a class act...jay!
  • Options
    I live about 10 miles from Columbia PA (Jimmy Sheckard's home town). Hes the only notable major leaguer (OK, in more recent years Bruce Sutter...but I'm a vintage collector) from this area (Oh...forgot about Don Wert, the famous Tigers 3rd baseman).

Anyway...about 15 years ago I was at an estate sale in Columbia that included a copy of Cap Anson's "A Ball Players Career" along with a ceremonial pamphlet concerning Lou Gehrig. Inside the front cover of the book towards the top was a signature of Sheckard....needless to say, I bought. I never tried to have the signature verified, but several years later there was an article in the newspaper here about a relative of Sheckard's and his push to have him inducted into the "Hall". Having several of his baseball cards and a genuine interest..I got ahold of his great grand son and invited him over. We spent an enjoyable evening talking baseball and looking at cards of his great grand father. Towards the end of the evening I got the book out and showed him. He verified that the signature was real and we suspect that possibly the book and the pamphlet were his...don't care if they are or they aren't, but its one of those tidbits of joy you just put in the back of your mind and smile about.

I gave him a T206 before he left. Keith
    Collecting - n2, n13, n28, n29, n43, n162, n184, t3, t6, t9, t200, tobacco albums, tobacco advertising cards, tobacco banners (that picture the 19th century card sets).
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Rob;

Thanks for reviving this thread. It is absolutely wonderful! I read every post. Threads like this make the forum a great place to share interests in the hobby. Thank you!

I do business with a print salesman who is the grandson of Bill Sweeney. Sweeney was a star infielder for the Braves and Cubs in the early 1900s. He was once traded for Johnny Evers so he was no slouch. His grandson, Mark, has his Braves uniform and some equipment. For a few years I have been located cards of Bill for him... T206s, National Game, Tom Barker, and an E-90 American Cararmel in VG-EX that I found for just $75.

Mark has such a nice collection of correspondence and ephemera that the Baseball Hall of Fame has expressed interest in his grandfather's stuff.
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    I started keeping a folder of the orders I get from football players' friends and relatives. Since the last time I posted, I've sold cards to friends and relatives of these players:

Gene Gedman
    Art Spinney
    Rod Breedlove
    Mike Sandusky
    Craig Baynham
    Jimmy Orr

Most of the buyers tell me a little about their relationships with the players, but some don't respond at all, as if they're afraid I'll ask for an autograph or something.

I sell a lot of common cards, and since these players' names don't appear many other places on the net, people looking for the players find my site when they do a Google search.

Mike

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I've never sold any cards to a player, friend or relative, but I have given photos to a couple of players.

Back in the mid '90s I was stationed in Colorado Springs and went to many Colo Springs Sky Sox (Pacific Coast League AAA farm team for the Colo Rockies). A couple of ex-Padres, Rick Sweet and Don Reynolds (brother of ESPN's Harold Reynolds) were coaches in the PCL at that time, and I had small instamatic photos I had taken of them on Fan Photo Days back in the '70s in San Diego. One promotion the Padres had every year was to allow fans with cameras, down onto the field before a selected game, and the fans could take pictures of the players. The team would set up a barrier around the infield, and the players would all walk along the barrier and pose for the pictures.

When I took the photos to Sweet and Reynolds for autographs they remarked about how much they liked them and wondered if they could obtain copies. I agreed to give them 8x10s, if they would also autograph an 8x10 for me. They instantly agreed and I went to a local 24 hour photo shop to get enlargments made. I went back to the games the next day and got my autographs and they got their photosimage

Steve
  • Options
    Couldn't resist this topic. About three months ago, I sold a 1971 Kellogg's football card of Tom Barrington to his son.
    Then, while writing about and researching the 71 Kellogg's Football set for an article I was writing, I got in touch with Marlin Briscoe (card # 16). For allowing me to interview him about the set, I sent him one of his cards. He said he'd never even seen one from 71 Kellogg's.
    Strong buyer of 1970 Kelloggs Football & 1971 Kelloggs Baseball and Football. Please help me find cards!
    I have a few hundred extra PSA graded 1971 Kellogg's cards. E-mail for price list. Looking for 1970 Topps Supers in PSA 9 too.
  • Options
    Dan has confirmed that it is him.image

I sent him the quote from my close encounter a few posts up.

Note: I taught school with Dan for the past several years in Aurora. He is
    one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. My oldest daughter collects his
    cards. He helped her out when she was pitching in high school and college.
    He's a great man and teacher.
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    It's a little opposite of the title, but when I was buying Mark Mulder cards on ebay, I noticed the seller's address was E. Lansing (Home of Michigan State University).
    I asked the seller about it, and it turns out he is the head coach at MSU.
    It was pretty cool, also considering I'm a Spartan grad image.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    I sold a 59 Bob Schmidt card (catcher for the Giants in the late 50's early 60's) to his nephew also named Bob Schmidt.
    Mike Miller
    Yankee Collector 1958-60
    Retired complete 1960 Topps set
  • Options
    Now isn't this nice?

If you are out there Dan,thanks a million!!! image