Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Common cards - have you ever sold them to a player, friend or relative?

Over a year ago I helped put togethor a collection for Gary Thomasson's nephew.He freaked out when I sent a scan of Carlo's 1974 PSA 8 and asked what was PSA???Unfortunately at that time it was the only Thomasson graded I could find to show him and he loved the idea of grading when it was explained.

Mike Paxton's current co workers often buy his 1980 PSA 8 cards from me.

Gary Lavelle's nephew is starting his collection too and picked up a 1980 8 from me too.He said that Gary is now working somewhere inside the Yankees organization.

I wouldn't be surprised someday if more common registry sets pop up for people like this in honor of a friend or relative.

I know that Rick Sutcliffe owns the only PSA 10s of his rookie cards and paid a lot of money for them.

Comments

• Options
    I sold a 1934 Goudey PSA 4 card of Ray Benge to his niece. She bought it over eBay from me about 8 months ago. Apparently she has no money to buy a nice one.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    i buy some cards for Danny Peoples and Kelly Johnson's parents (KJ is a Braves prospect, and Peoples is out of baseball now i believe)
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I've dealt with Dan Schatzeder before.

Also have dealt with Grover Cleveland Alexanders' grandchild, which was pretty cool.

I once gave Joe DiMaggio an 8x10 picture of me and him that was taken in Barry Halper's backyard. THAT was cool.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

I have dealt with:

Dan Schatzeder
    Jim Edmond's 1st Cousin
    Brian Rafalski's (NJ Devils Defensemen) Mom

and about 5 sets of parents of minor league prospects...just drafted..I forget the guys....the most famous would be Dennis Tankersely(sp?)

Good Riddence- Yes Peoples is out of baseball...he was a big Indians prospect at one time..and played with the Akron Aeros.

John
  • Options
    A few years back, I sold a 1963 Post Cereal card of Dick Bertel to his daughter. He had recently passed away, and she was trying to put together some of her dad's cards for herself and her siblings. I went to a local card store and picked up an extra couple of dozen cards of him from various 60's sets and included them when I shipped the card she had bought. To my knowledge that's the only time I've sold to a player, friend or relative.
  • Options
    I don't think I ever sold any cards, but, this is a really cool topic. Thanks for starting it.

Ed
  • Options
    Back in 1999, I sold Ryan Anderson's (Little Unit) dad a 98 Bowman Chrome Gold Refractor (#'ed to 5). It is his son's best rookie card. He collects all of his son's cards and used to buy them all up on ebay. I talked to him on the phone a few times, real nice guy. He sent me a few Topps RC's that his son autographed when he sent me his check.
    Dave
    1973 Topps PSA 9's+(retired)
    1986 Topps PSA Perfect(active)
    1997 Flair Legacy's(active)
  • Options
    I have sold to relatives quite a few times. Paul and Loyld Waner's nephew would stop by shows that I was at and always ask for what I had. I had an autographed card of Burleigh Grimes on my web site, and someone with the last name of Grimes bought it, although I was not told that they were related. Quite often, I am asked for cards of coworkers and friends, inlaws and grandparents, aunts (yes aunts) and uncles. I had cards of the swimmer Helen Wainwright.
    Willie Brown bought some cards of his teammates from me. Maury Wills bought his 1967 Topps card. I sold Johnny Bench a store model Tito Francona glove for his son to play with.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    In Jr High I was hot after this girl, Marisa Portocarrero. He dad had played for the A's in the 50's. So I went to a show and bought up every card of his that I could get, and gave them to her. Turns out Arnie Portacarrero was about as good a dad as he was a pitcher, and she couldn't stand him.
    Never got anywhere with her.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    When Sammy Knight started playing for the Saints I sent him a card with an autograph request. He wrote back asking about where I got the card and how he could get more for his family. I've been sending him stacks of his cards ever since. Though now that he's a Dolphin I'll probably stop.

I also collect 1965 Dave Vineyard cards. He is a distant cousin and was a pitcher for the Orioles for a few years and only had the one card. I've given him a bunch of his cards over the years and have distributed PSA versions to a bunch of family members.
    John Vineyard

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the flip side, I almost bought a card from a famous relative. Back in the early infancy of internet card trading (Prodigy), I was desperately looking for a high grade 1969 #664 Ron Hunt for my set. I put an ad out on a card trading message board and someone responded saying she had several of his cards. Turns out she is his niece and she offered to send me a card of his for free after saying how proud she was of him. I told her I thought he was an excellent player and that I was looking for a NM-MT quality card and was more than willing to pay for it. That's the last time I heard from her. image
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I sold a Ryan Anderson jersey card to his father. When he sent me payment, he had a note with his address on it and everything and at the bottom he wrote "Ryan's Dad". I didn't put together his note with the card and I was like "Who the F is Ryan and why would I care?" It clicked eventually.

WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    I've also sold to Dick Bartell's daughter and Dan Schatzeder.

Other's that come to mind include Lee Thomas' daughter, Jim Gentile's son and Dave McNally's former golfing buddy.

My best encounter was a "lady friend" of Rich Nye. She wanted all the Nye cards I could get my hands on for a public signing. Nye is now a vet in Illinois. Fortunately, a local card shop had a vending run of his '68 and '69 cards and I sold her 60 or so for a very nice price.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    I to have dealt w/ many family & friends of ball players, well over a dozen, from memory.
    Like many I have bought & sold w/ Dan Schatzeder, he even sent me a signed personilized card for my boy while he was training at Paris Island.
    Other notables...
    Sold a '50 Bowman PSA FB to Tony Adamle's nephew.
    A PSA Seattle Pilots card to Wayne Comer's nephew.
    A #'d card of Jason Schmidt to either his wife, mother or sister.
    A #'d card to Matt Clements mom.
    An insert card to Aaron Sele's cousin.
    A 1960 Fleer FB card to Raiders QB Tony Teresa's son
    A '53 Topps PSA to Jim Fridleys nephew.
    Some early '60's pennants to ex Ranger/Twins Mike Cubbage, who planned to give the Colt 45 one to Larry Dierker.
    A salada FB coin to Packer HOF'er Henry Jordans daughter
    A PSA '41 Play Ball to Rollie Hemsley's great nephew
    Quantity of '69 PSA basketball to ex player & coach Doug Moe
    Last week got a request for cards from Flint Rhems relative, I had 2 diff graded '33 Goudeys.
    And via eBay, Brian Hunters dad won a 1/1 Topps card, and I always save a batch of Hunter's cards and twice have sent him
    batches of about a 100. To show his thanks, he sent me 2 signed batting gloves, a personilized signed photo and a signed
    minor league card of his son. I never asked for anything, so it was a nice surprise to open the package. I just paid for an on-line sub w/ Beckett so I could get him a full checklist of his son. He got it last week and was thrilled to finally see what he had and what he needed, it was 15 pages long. Hunter was recently released from the Astros.
    If anybody has Brian L. Hunter cards (there are 2 Brian Hunters, this being the one born 3/5/71 who won 2 Stolen Base titles)
    that they don't need, ship them to me and I'll make sure his Dad receives them....jay
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I have sold cards to Dmitri Young twice. The first time I wasn't sure if it was him but then he had me send the cards to the stadium in Cincinnati so then I knew. The first purchase, he bought a 1981 Topps vending case and the second time he bought 2 1982 Topps Dave Stewart PSA 10 RC's. They were the only 2 PSA 10's and I had both. He made me a pretty crazy offer so I ended the auction early. He pays very good money and pretty much gets whatever he wants. He must have a monster collection.
  • Options

<< <i>He must have a monster collection >>

STEVE - Imagine, what kind of colections we all could have if we made $5+ million a yearimage ...jay
  • Options
    Most memorable - I sold a 1959 Bob St Clair PSA 9 to Bob's grandson.

Most recently - I had a conversation with Bob Chandler's (the Bills WR) nephew.

Jeremy
    Jeremy
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    I sold a rocco baldelli card to his aunt this summer.

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    I just sold an 1973 PSA 8 Mike Caldwell to Mike Caldwell (pitcher for the Padres).
    Looking for well centered 1958 topps baseball psa 8 and up. Also dying for a 70 Aaron All Star in PSA 9.
  • Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    Doug,I may have 2 Caldwell's,at least 1 for sure when he was with the Brewers.

1980 TOPPS 563 WILL McENANEY STL PSA 8 1/1

Robebass@cs.com wrote: Just curious if this is a realitive of the player.
    I've met several players and dealt with family members and their friends from this set.

Thanks!

Robert

Brian McEnaney

Yes Will is my cousin, when he won the two world series in 75 and 76 when he played for the reds I was in little league. I went to many games at riverfront as a kid thanks to him. He has lived in Florida for the past 20 years. Brian

• Options
    I sold to Gil Hodge's granddaughter about 5 years ago.
    www.LloydWTaylor.com
    Vintage Baseball Cards
    Sales and Ebay Consignment Service
    email
    Lloyd_Taylor_Vintage_Cards -- on Ebay
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    I can only recall dealing with Dan Schatzeder and a niece of Gil Hodges bought some 1972 Topps cards from me. She still lived in Brooklyn NY.
  • Options
    I sold a few of Louie Dampier's cards to his cousin... super nice guy.
    and I assembled all of Dampier and Darrell Carrier's raw cards for a friend who played with the Kentucky Colonel's in 1967-68.

He was thrilled. He always jokes that his own claim to fame is being the only man ever bumped from a professional basketball roster to make room for a woman...
    yep, he was bumped for "penny" whats her name... who played 1 game for the colonel's in a promotion way back then...
  • Options
    I've sold cards to Dmitri Young before too. I've also sold a 1950 Bowman card of Marino Pieretti to his granddaughter (I think).
    I'm a technical trainer in the software industry and Ed Hermmann's wife has been in my classes before. He's active in the SD area as far as MLB alum are concerned and I've received a few autographed items from him before.
  • Options
    Sold a game worn hockey jersey to a player once, kinda cool
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    i sold a card not long ago to a close ( female) relative of ken hubbs....
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    A friend of mine sees Jerry Royster every few months (she works for Royster's daughter's orthodontist). He is very nice and loves my friend who works there, and she told me he just sits in the waiting room for about an hour each visit. So I asked her if she thought he would sign my Royster cards and she said she thought he would. So I get all my Jerry Royster cards - well over 50 - and I take one unique example of each - perhaps 16 - and the 30 or 40 doubles which I told her to give to Royster as a token of appreciation for him signing the unique examples. Well, she messed it up, and he signed all of the 30-40 doubles, and he did not sign the unique 16! He also said thanks for the offer on the cards but he has more than he can imagine already, so he returned those too. Super guy she says. I sent him a thank you note (not mentioning the mistake) and he told her he would be glad to sign any time for her in the future.
  • Options
    ...and I worked with a Phillies pitcher's son... chris short's son...
    I gave him psa 8's of his dad's 1971, 1972 and 1970 issues as a gift.
  • Options
    I live about ten miles from Austin Kearns parents. Plenty of interest there. He played high school ball
    here in lexington. Also, about a year ago, a guy came into my current place of employment, and noticed a large picture that I had of Earle Combs(Yankees 20's-30's). When I told him for sure who
    it was, he said that it was his grandfather. We struck up a conversation and I eventually helped him find a copy of the same picture. A week later, as a sort of thank you, he came back with a breifcase.
    When he opened it I was floored. He had an autographed ball from the '27 Yankees and some other cool things. But the prize was a handwritten letter from Lou Gehrig to his grandpa, explaining his condition and health. That was a once in a lifetime experience.

Chris
  • Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    Sean Casey lives less than half a mile from me in my neighborhood - I met his neighbor who plays poker with him once a month and he said I could get in on the next game. I'll let you know if I get to meet him - I have yet to see him in the neighborhood and we have both lived here over four years.
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    I sell a lot of cards to 60's football players' relatives. Some recent ones I remember were to relatives of Dan Colchico, Claude Gibson, John LoVetere, Jim Colclough, Ger Schwedes, and Gail Cogdill. I also get a lot of inquiries from relatives looking for players who never had cards printed. It's a bummer to have to tell them that the card companies generally printed cards of just the stars.

Mike
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    I had a few 1993 Andre Dawson refractors. Someone at a Frank & Son Show bought them all from me for very generous prices. He claimed they were all for Dawson himself.

• Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Kiko Garcia...

Years ago, he owned a batting cage complex in Pleasanton, CA and I would take my Little League team there for BP. Kiko would give them personal instruction and spend time with us each time we were there. That was about once per week during the LL season. I took a bunch of cards of him one day and he autographed them for the kids. I also found some things for him. He was a great guy and the kids really learned a lot about batting and fielding from him. They really listened to him and thought it was the greatest thing to get instruction from a former major league player. The parents loved it too.

Kiko played for the Orioles in a World Series.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    It's funny that I read this thread the other day and thought, Those are cool stories but that'll never happen to me. Lo and behold, last night the winning bidder in my auction for a PSA 5 '23-24 V145-1 Billy Boucher hockey card turned out to be Boucher's granddaughter. The card went for about twice what I expected and I noticed that out of the small handful of items the winner had won on eBay, most were items pertaining to the Boucher brothers: Billy, Bobby, Frank and Georges. The latter two are Hall of Famers and Billy had some excellent years with the Canadiens, but they're not exactly household names, so I figured the winner had to be connected to the family somehow. Sure enough, she replied this morning that Billy Boucher was her grandfather. Definitely one of my cooler eBay experiences!

imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    What a great topic! I once gave a 1985 Topps card of Vern Ruhle to my boss. Vern (former Houston Astro's pitcher) was his close friend and also the Godfather to my boss' daughter. I also gave a 1960's (unsure what year) Topps card to a co-worker who happened to be the daughter of former Houston Astro's Manager Grady Hatten. Both were very cool experiences!
  • Options
    I have sold cards & collectibles to family members of players about a dozen times. From Henry Jordan's (dec. Packer HOF'er) daughter who won a Salada coin of her father to Brian Hunters dad, who sent me a signed personalized 8 x 10, signed cards and 2 batting gloves (1 from the year he was Stolen Base ldr) for all the cards I sent him at no charge. I sent him maybe 150+ cards of his son after he won a 1/1 Flair PSA-9 card of him on eBay, I never asked for anything in my shipments, so it was a nice surprise to get the items.

On an eBay lot of an old Colt 45's pennant, Mike Cubbage (infielder for Texas & Minn in the '70's) won the lot to give to his friend Larry Dierker. We exchanged a few Emails, mostly me asking questions and him answering them. He was managed by Billy Martin and by Ted Williams, which to me is cool! ...jay
  • Options
    Jay...Isn't or was Mike Cubbage the 3rd base coach for Boston.If It is I think he isn't coming back next year.
  • Options
    ROBE - You are correct on both counts.
    When he won my lot a couple of years ago, he was a coach for the Mets...jay
  • Options
    I sold a Winfield PSA-9 rookie to Dmitri Young when he was with the Cincy Reds, and sold raw hockey cards to relatives of: N.J. Devils player and the awesome Peter Forsberg.....
  • Options
    purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    I sold a card to Marshall Fogel. Does that count as a deal with a certified "superstar"?image
  • Options
    I have been picking up cards of Elmer Flick and sell them to his great grandson whom I work with
  • Options
    It kind of happened again!

1980 TOPPS 267 DAN SCHATZEDER EXPOS PSA 9

Note: I taught school with Dan for the past several years in Aurora. He is
    one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. My oldest daughter collects his
    cards. He helped her out when she was pitching in high school and college.
    He's a great man and teacher.

• Options
    Twice -- a daughter of Johnny Wyrostek bought a 1950 card from me on eBay. The other one is kinda funny. Dick Woodson's brother won a 1971 Dick Woodson card from me on eBay recently. In our correspondence, he wrote "my brother was Dick Woodson who pitched for the Minnesota Twins." I took that to mean his brother had passed on, and wrote back that I was sorry to hear that Dick has passed one. He quickly wrote back and said that his brother was still very much alive -- that he had meant to say only that Dick was a Minnesota Twins pitcher. We both got a good LOL out of it.

Scott
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Most memorable - I sold a 1959 Bob St Clair PSA 9 to Bob's grandson.

Most recently - I had a conversation with Bob Chandler's (the Bills WR) nephew.

Jeremy >>

Bob St. Clair gets around! heh.. My father and I had a card shop from 1990-1996 in Jacksonville, FLorida and Bob St. Clair came in the shop with anothe guy that played in the NFL (i forget his name but he played for the Cowboys in the late 60's or 70's).. they were both wearing NFL alumni shirts.. I remember Bob St. Clair stood about 6'9" or 6'10".. huge SOB.. he was really cool.. I went digging around the shop and found a few of Bob's 1990 Pro-Set cards and he signed em all for me..

Also, I went to school and played HS ball with Paul Rigdon (pitched a few games for the Indians and later with the Brewers before he got hurt) I dont know if he's signed to any team at all right now..
    ·p_A·
  • Options

Awhile back I was exchanging emails with a relative whom might have been daughter,grand daught or totally full of it that was interested in my PSA 8 example of McGlothlin.

She noted that he died from a heart attack or Cancer.I niver thought of researching this Ballplayer or the realitive since they never got back to me or sent the check.

• Options
    How do you ever know for sure? Had a guy named Humphreys looking for a 1967 Bob Humphreys,
    said he was a relative. He just wanted an EXMT quality card so he got the same deal anyone else got.
    What I've heard is happening is relatives of radio DJs looking for tapes of their parents/grandparents
    when they were on the air "I was 3 and never paid much attention to dad on KORN, but now that
    he's gone I'd like to find someone who has a tape of him"
    and if you know how to search the internet you can find stuff like that
    ebay:1967topps
    1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
    Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff
  • Options
    McGlothlin died of cancer in 75.
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    I received this email today.

Hi there,
    I'm the son of Jim Braxton. Would be interested in buying your card and any others of my father you may have. Please let me know how many you have, the price of each one, and the price for the lot, as a set.
    Thanks and look forward to hearing from you. I can be reached via email at (edit out email address)
    Thanks!
    Brandon Braxton

• Options
    Awesome Carlos!
    Should be fun to go through.

It's pretty exciting to have these unexpected run inns with family members (and the likes of).For the card itself,it makes something even more that special out of the experience common or not.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you wind up hooking Brandon up of his father.

Steve,thanks for clarification on the unfortunate expiration date.

Geez.How old was he?
    Had to be pretty young.

• Options
    neat