Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

As promised, the PCGS generations with pictures. VERY LONG! updated 10/27/06

Comments

• Options
    mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have used this thread a couple times and found it extremely helpful. Thought I bump it for any new comments that might be out there.
  • Options
    Whatever happened to old Conder101 anyway??
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    learned something new today bump
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Whatever happened to old Conder101 anyway?? >>

He got banned here but he actively posts on the NGC chat room.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    I suspect he still keeps on eye on the board.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    It would be interesting to continue the lineup with more recent developments, like Secure Plus, which adds the shield emblem and "PCGS Secure Plus" repeated in micro print to produce a velvety blue background. We can note that these are produced along-side traditional blue holders (with the addition now of plus grading in both), and that Secure Plus represents additional layers of service.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Whatever happened to old Conder101 anyway?? >>

He also posts on Coin Chat.
  • Options
    I enjoyed reviewing again. Thanks Conder101!
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TTT for Onadlos.image
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure would like to see an update........ not sure how to file my slabs in the correct order. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sure would like to see an update........ not sure how to file my slabs in the correct order. image >>

Conder isn't on these boards anymore image
    He was banned...he is on the NGC boards though and may have an update.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

Nice Job! I seem to remember that the slabs you have numbered 2,2.5,3 and 3.5 did not interlock when
    you tried to stack them and were a pain to handle.

Everybody's got plans--until they get hit
    --Mike Tyson
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Conder101? Who dat? image
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    I last contributed to this thread 9 years ago. I guess I still don't have a life. image
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    For anyone who may be interested, I have 1964-D Roosevelt Dime PCGS samples in the tough type 1 "rattler" and type 3 "doily" which are now listed on eBay... Item #s 300907926556 & 300907923352

Also, can anyone identify this style of PCGS holder?

Don't think I'd ever come across one of these before... Wondering if this is some sort of sample/promotional piece? It's pretty obvious that the encapsulated coin does NOT fit the advertised grade.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt lets keep it current!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    ttt- been over a year
  • Options
    PCGS should make a chart for prosperity sake for future records. I would like to see the modern variations with prongs and two tones, secure plus ect
  • Options
    very cool but that half is beat up.
  • Options
    Is there one of these on ANACS?
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Realone:

I agree with you. But it would be at least a tad odd for our hosts to sticky a thread created by a banned member...
    Mark

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did Condor ever put together a book? I thought that was the original intent.
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, he published his book back in 2003; I believe it was a quite limited edition and sold out quickly. I don't know if there have been multiple printings!
    Higashiyama
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, he published his book back in 2003; I believe it was a quite limited edition and sold out quickly. I don't know if there have been multiple printings! >>

Thanks!
  • Options
    CoinflipCoinflip Posts: 844 ✭✭✭
    Great thread
    Anyone know the books name?
    SMILEFORSOMECHANGE LLC
    RAD#306

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how difficult will it be to update this?

We have the new hologram.
    the blue fade.
    secure plus
    prongs
    anything else?

then there are special labels:
    first strike flag labels
    then the various dealer labels, like the black diamond, and more

The forum has documented the approx. dates of the prongs, SP, and newer changes. (except any possible subtle holo changes) those should be easy.

but have their been subtle changes like to the hologram over the years? How do we nail down the date(s) of the transition for stuff like that?

my subs only go back to maybe mid 2006

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great thread
    Anyone know the books name? >>

MsMorrisine, maybe a revised edition of Condor's book? I would take on the challenge myself if I had the time. But sadly, I do not.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Great thread
    Anyone know the books name? >>

MsMorrisine, maybe a revised edition of Condor's book? I would take on the challenge myself if I had the time. But sadly, I do not. >>

Never interacted with Conder. Perhaps there is an updated thread or book out there.

Another change to document is the barcode format change. The addition of the plus is another. That happened first with SP, but later with plain holders. Luckily the plus was covered by PR.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>how difficult will it be to update this? >>

don't know how hard to update this but updates are being done privately by someone that is an author that lives not to far north of me if my info is correct!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....I purchased the original book from a forum member a while back(Thank You Sir image) I wish condor was still a member here, but who am I to wish upon a star image

...if I wink one more time, my eyeball may fall out image

...ok it didn't fall out but it hurts...

Erik
  • Options
    on prongs in secure plus:
    in 2011 :

Regular Gasket:
    Lucy Hayes
    Julia Grant
    also an MS Lucretia Garfield and a single PR Eliza Johnsom

Prong Gasket:
    2 Proof Lucretia Garfield and a Proof Eliza Johnson.

=============================================================

On the hologram:

All of my 2010 first spouse in non-secure plus, flag/first-strike holders with a holo where the saint is holographic.
    All of my 2011 first spouse in secure plus with a holo where the saint is not holographic for most they are white/grayscale, but I have my Alice Paul and Lucretia Garfield where the are more of a gray blue shading.

I note I have some 2011 SP holders that I made with the holo miscut and slicing through the bottom of the saint.
    Also two 2011 SP labels I made has a complete barcode printed on the reverse and with space between the bottom of barcode and the actual bottom of the label.

blue fade on secure plus:

my 2011 secure plus first spouse have non-fade blue labels with the bar code on the front and back.
    my 2012 secure plus first spouse (only have alice paul and france cleveland 1st in SP) have the blue fade front and an all white back.

special labels:

Starting in 2012, I have some Mercanti signed labels for my first spouse with no holo on the holder. I guess I need autograph verification services to holder the autograph in the holder. image

===========

I have all but 1 of my 2013 First Spouses in Flag Holders. (but no 2012 nor 2011 first spouse in flag holders to compare) They now have the coin number, grade and cert number on the same line as the barcode. the barcode is on the left the numerics are on the right. For my 2007-2010 first spouse in flag holders, they only have the cert number on the right, and no coin number nor grade.

• Options
    Thank you SO much.

I printed that to a PDF so I can always find it quickly.
  • Options
    I also note my 2011 prong gaskets are clear
    While the 2012 and 2013 are whitish.

Also, the 2011 width of the top line can at times be wide enough to print a bit over the shield and the second line with the spouse name is not centered

Various issues are printed slightly crooked.

• Options
    let it be known that in this era of a new holder and a new hologram that I received back from pcgs grading two modern silver commemoratives in the new holder using the old hologram with the blue-gray saint.

• Options
    this transition to the new plastic keeps getting more interesting

the coins I made just above are in the new plastic with the old holo.

I bought some more recent 2014 issues and they are in the old plastic with the old holo.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    update

post deleted... the slab in question is a 2

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    I love this Thread wish Conder101 ,
    Was still on these boards to update it.
    always a good refresher course for me.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good ol TriCities!
  • Options
    (Smile) TriCities. Great day to do detectin too! Have a good day Tradedollarnut...
  • Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

If someone could please update the Original Post I for one would appreciate it.

I have done a search but found nothing this extensive. If someone knows of a list this extensive please let me know.

If someone could forward this to the correct person to Handel this at PCGS thank you.

Since the original user was banned I was hoping that maybe PCGS could do it and leave it at the top of the forum for awhile.

Thanks in advance,
    TexasT

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS has a page with this info.
    https://www.pcgs.com/holders

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, that's useful!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2019 12:47AM

It's interesting in that PCGS looks at the plastic more than the labels when defining it's generations.

Had an extensive discussion with BJ in 2016 when planning the samples exhibit for FUN and LB - took us a while to realize we were talking different languages. :D

The museum of holders is a useful reference. I still find Condors generations more useful when looking for specific "generations".

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aegis3 said:
    Very useful thread.

@Aegis3 said:
    Very useful thread.

I agree.

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:
    PCGS has a page with this info.
    https://www.pcgs.com/holders

Very useful link, thank you.

I always thought that it would be useful to be able to learn the date a coin was slabbed.

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options

Anyone save away the original (lost) pictures from this post and could re-post them please?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file