Home U.S. Coin Forum

As promised, the PCGS generations with pictures. VERY LONG! updated 10/27/06

Comments

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Although it has some similarities and was done by the man most closely associated with PCGS, it is not part of the PCGS listings. It is simply a dealer flip but it does deserve some mention as a precurser to PCGS's numbering system. I have a few of them, but I don't remember if I included them in the Miscellaneous section of the book or not. I don't think I did. Dave Hall has said that there are several varieties of these flips as well.
  • pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Thanks for your efforts on this and the ngc thread. They have been saved for good.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• ttt
    Mike Bottos
    coinpage.com
  • RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    Just got back a 16 that should have been a 15...no series/coin but on a circulation issue. It seems to only be on one coin; the rest of my recent submissions are "normal". Would something like this be a subvariety or an error or what?

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • That would be an error slab.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    ttt
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • GREAT info!! I wish PCGS had a Slab History section like this on their website.
  • mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    they do, check your URL image

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

<< <i>they do, check your URL image >>

Where do I find this PCGS information?
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
    Conder101,

If you have books to sell on PCGS slab generations and NGC slab generations I would be interested in purchasing such.
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Mozin, the slab book covers the generations of 82 companies known to me as of Dec of 2003. I'm working on revisions to to book but I don't expect the second edition to be out until 2007. (First edition will go out of print at the end of 2005.)
  • mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A counterfeit PCGS slab like that would be pretty scarce. Alot of guys would step up and pay strong money for it. I suggest an auction like ebay!

Cameron Kiefer >>

Blue Falcom people, watch out we have a blue falcon here.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    ttt
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    thanks mgood!!

i think pcgs should give some sort of award and financial appreciation for all the hard work conder101 did for this
  • Here's a weird looking one that I couldn't really match to any of the pictures:
    Ebay Auction Link
    It almost looks fake?
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

CONDOR

Thanks so much for this info.

Have a nice day

<< <i>Here's a weird looking one that I couldn't really match to any of the pictures:
    Ebay Auction Link >>

???? I've never seen one like that either. I've asked the seller for more pictures and some information. The general layout and font matches that of PCGS 5 but the font size for the serial number is smaller than that used on PCGS 5. (From the way the scan looks I believe the barcode on the label has been covered with another label or somehow altered in another fashion.) PCGS 4, 5, and 6 each used different fonts. Unfortunately they didn't show the back of the slab. So far the back label of PCGS 5 is unique to that slab and one sample slab variety and this is NOT the sample slab.
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great work!

The other day, I realized that I have NGC slabs that don't fit into NGC boxes! Of course, many here most likely, already know this but collecting the Jefferson nickels for 14+ years, I've never really had any luck with locating the kind of JN I collect in the NGC slab for the exception of proofs. But recently, I've acquired 3 NGC boxes and lo behold, the NGC slabs keep the lids from fitting correctly while the PCGS slabs fit great! Figure that one out! NGC makes slab boxes exclusively for PCGS slabs only! Lol

Perhaps you could shed some light on this.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Leo-
    Some of the older NGC slabs are much thicker than the ones they make today. This could be why they don't fit in a newer NGC slab holder.
    The newest NGC boxes are silver and a tiny bit taller than the old boxes. The old fat slabs fit into these silver boxes but they are still a tight fit because they are a bit fatter than all the later slabs. I recently had most of my old fat slabs replaced because they are such a tight fit, AND the holograms were torn or holders scratched. The lids go on fine and the silver boxes hold PCGS, ICG, and SEGS also. Contact NGC directly for the best prices on their boxes.
    The NGC slabs, I seemed to have, are taller then what the clear dark NGC boxes can accomodate. So the lids do not close down onto the box.

Leo

<< <i>The NGC slabs, I seemed to have, are taller then what the clear dark NGC boxes can accomodate. So the lids do not close down onto the box.

Leo >>

So the new silver boxes will work for you.image

<< <i>

<< <i>The NGC slabs, I seemed to have, are taller then what the clear dark NGC boxes can accomodate. So the lids do not close down onto the box.

Leo >>

So the new silver boxes will work for you.image >>

I'll have to get one of those someday! For now, PCGS slabs are in the so older boxes. But it's still interesting why they had let this happen. How many they made before they curtailed this boo boo is another thought that comes to mind.

Leo

one of the better information threads on here

thanks conder!!
    I got the information about that odd PCGS slab referenced above. The slab is a normal PCGS 5 slab, the label in the auction had been seriously altered. The seller sent me pictures of both sides of the slab and the serial number did match that on the altered label in the auction. I couldn't get an answer though as to why the label had been altered.
  • Great info in this post. Thanks.

Art -
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TTT

I was just looking up this thread for reference.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • TTT--What do numbers mean after ID?
    morgannut2
    Darn, you got me all excited about someone adding something important to this thread.image
    I just finished referencing all my PCGS slabs according to Conder101. Now I need to enter all into my computer database.
  • Conder: This is a great explanation/history lesson. Thanks for all your hard work--Very informative.
  • AZLARRYAZLARRY Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    Great information, my favorite type of threadimage
    great information and photos

is their an updated book version to this and the ngc slab generations? or waht is the latest copy of your slab book conder?? and hopw much is it and where do you order it
    is their an updated book version to this and the ngc slab generations? or waht is the latest copy of your slab book conder?? and hopw much is it and where do you order it

i keep using this thread more and more and always refer back to it

is there a way to keep this ttt in a special forums section??image
  • Best PCGS post regarding holder I have ever seen. Super job ! Don't they also have a holder that display their Nasdaq trading symbol on the reverse ?
    Yes they do. I need to "get off my duff" and update both this and the NGC thread. There are four more PCGS slabs I need to add to this thread, up through PCGS 20.
  • pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Certainly one of the classic threads, along with your ngc slab thread. I refer to it often.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• if a PCGS slab is fake what does it mean or say about the coin in it
    "SAY NO TO SULFIDE MINING"
    US ARMY WITH THE BIG RED 1, MI NATL. GAURD--1982-1997
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>if a PCGS slab is fake what does it mean or say about the coin in it >>

My understanding was that genuine AU58 slider coins (primarily saints and morgans) were put in MS63/64/65 counterfeit holders.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• Great thread. These posts are the reasons I continue to check out this site.
  • Thread has been updated with changes made to first post. I'll try to get the NGC thread updated tomorrow. and maybe a few more pictures for this one.
  • 09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    Great info. How's the new book coming?
  • Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭
    Very useful thread.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file