is there a series coin you look down on dislike

there is none for me I love them all
but I do have some series I favore less
Bullion comes to mind they are all MS or PR clone coins
I do have some silver and a gold half eagle
(can't afford Platinum)
the Jeffs are another series I really never seemed to
be interrested in. until that Keets post that sun design
jeff and I keep looking for sunrays on the back of all jeffs now.
I have noticed Jeffs do have bunch of over date and MM
doubling on about everything in the early days
diffent type MM and the 71pr with none.

I just brought my first toned Jeff and love it

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Plenty of them are out there I dislike.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I have a hard time getting excited by post 64 coinage. I like the antiquity fo coins. How did a 150 year old coin survive in good shape? How many hands has it passed through?
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Post '64's as well! Design has run it's toll! I believe that over 25 years is too long for the same coinage. A little variation would help, but they are all looking stagnant!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Franklins, Lincolns, half dimes except the flowing hair ones, one dollar gold, fractional gold,three cent silver and roosevelt's.
  • Options
    I am a Lincoln fanatic, but I would have to limit that to Wheat reverse. I just can't get excited about memorials. Even amongst the wheats, I find the 1909-1934 dates most attractive.

Just noticed, it's my 100th post.
  • Options
    JFK Halves
    Franklin Halves
    Washington Quarters
    Jefferson Nickels
    Eisenhower Dollars
    Liberty Nickels
    Lincoln Memorial Cents

You will never, ever find me buying any of the above mentioned series. That's just my opinion, of course.
  • Options
    I dislike 3 cent nickle pieces, Ikes, S.B.A's.
    I hate reproduction stuff.

Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    You know, I never liked the design of Liberty gold. I know many love it, but I just don't. Frankly, I'm not much for clad dimes, quarters, and halves either, though I think some may be great values.

Greg
  • Options
    I'm not crazy about Franklins--although I do have a very nice one in my type set--can't see the interest otherwise. I do admit that he was a great man and deserves much credit for creating the nation we live in today. I'm currently reading his biography and believe he deserves a better looking coin in his honor! I will now await being castigated and flamed!
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a big fan of coins that were carefully minted, put into plasic holders at the mint, sold to the public, who carefully removed the coin from the holder and sent it to a company who put it into another plasic holder with a number on it and now want to sell it for a huge markup because it's so miraculously perfect.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the exception of the silver & gold modern commems, all series that started after 1945 and especially those that are clad coins.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not a big fan of coins that were carefully minted, put into plasic holders at the mint, sold to the public, who carefully removed the coin from the holder and sent it to a company who put it into another plasic holder with a number on it and now want to sell it for a huge markup because it's so miraculously perfect. >>

Dang this guy reminds me of ME. I don't even drink, but wouldn't mind having a drink with this guy.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    It's interesting how Franklins always elicit an emotional response - either people love them or hate them - there's usually no in between. Personally I can't see what you couldn't love about the coin below or ones similar to them - but alas people will like what they like. As for me - well - I love all coins practially, but I can't seem to get too excited with SBA's - no matter how I try - but even these have some examples which are passable - oh well - as Lucy would say - More Frankies for me! image

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    ugh confession time.

not saying i look down on these series or the people that are into them, so its JMO

1) Mos odd denoms (except the 3c silvers and the double dime)
    2) Matron head large cents
    3) Barber halfs though the design looks ok on lower denoms.
    4) Seated coins to some degree. again, the higher the denomination the uglier the design looks.
    5) Sacs, Might really become a scarey looking coin someday in low grades.
    6) Eunice Shriver commem et al.. imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have trouble getting excited about any coin that was struck in my own lifetime. As I was born in 1965 with the advent of clad coinage, this means I'm pretty much of the same mind as the other folks who said they didn't care for anything after 1964.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    To those whom mentioned Frankies.....

SLAP!

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    3 cent silvers. I hate the little fish scales. It bothers me to no end that there are three distinct types of them, so I need three of them for my type set.
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    Any Barber series. Just don't get into them. (Les, don't hate me now.) image
  • Options
    RBB617RBB617 Posts: 497 ✭✭
    I'm a born again collector and very eclectic in my tastes, but I will say that I am not a big fan of SBAs & Sacs.
    Brian
  • Options
    Probably the morgan silver dollar, two cent piece, shield nickle, franklin, roosevelt, washington quarter, kennedy half, SBA dollar, jefferson nickle, ike dollar, peace dollar, and last, but certainly not least, the entire run of barber's.

I guess this pretty much leaves me in the seated series image
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    The way the question is worded, no. There are no series I "look down on". There are some coins I have no desire to collect, but "look down on"? No. I'll leave that to those that need to feel superior. image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    I most detest Franklin halves, Ike dollars, and SBA dollars.

I don't like Morgans, V nickels, or seated coinage.

My favorites are the Lincoln cent, Indian head cent, and SLQ.

All the rest I could take or leave.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    I just don't like

The Barber coins (of them I like the dime the best)
    Buffalo nickels (Hate them. The only reason I put a set together was because I had all the rest of the nickels.)
    Washington Quarters (Uninspiring, and the reverse was really bad. . . and then they went clad! From bad to worse.)
    Franklin halves (Tolerable in Mint State but gets ugly quick as it wears, which is strange because technically it is an excellantly designed coin.
    Saint-Gauden's Indian head eagle (The reverse is very nice but the obverse just blows.)
  • Options
    Moderns [anything after say 1900, especially proofs made by the gazillions and held out to be rare]
    Tiny coins [1 dollar gold, 3c silver, half dimes] make me go blind
    Commems [not really coins! ]
    Death Coins [ok it's not a series but a theme]
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .............until that Keets post that sun design

ah, there's hope for you after all!!!image

i don't know if there's a series i look down on, but i have given up on trying to grade Franklin half-dollars and Wahington quarters. i'm better at the quarters, but with Franklins, forget it.

al h.image
  • Options
    I don't like 3 cent pieces because of their size. I don't like Ike dollars because of their weight. Love everything else!! image
    BTW, I love the design of the 3 Cent Piece and Ike Dollar!! image
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a big fan of anything after 1945. Can handle maybe a couple of each but to collect those coins with a passion....No Way. Morgan dollars have never did anything for me either. Maybe its because everyone and thier mother collects them plus you can find them everywhere.

Mercs, SLQ's, Buffs and Seated Coinage are the Favorites. Early 1800 coinage would be liked but the cost leaves me out of the ballpark.

Ken
  • Options
    The more modern coins, say after 1900, would be my least favorite. I enjoy seeing the coin designs change more frequently than every 50 - 80 years. I think that the State Quarters is good for the hobby!
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Options
    I want to clarify my response... I don't look down on any coins. I think everybody has their preferences and should/will enjoy their choice of coinage!
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Options
    callawayc7callawayc7 Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    I don't really like clad coins since 65' either. Not too interested in the silver Kennedy or Franklin halves either.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I think even the ugly coins are cool. I wish I had one of every US coin type!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    current nickel, dime, & dollar designs. I use to dislike Peace dollars, but they have grown on me.
  • Options
    Franklins, SBAs, Kennedies, Washington quarters, Roosevelt dimes, Jefferson nickels, Lincoln cents with memorial reverse
    image"Darkside" gold
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love ALL coins without exception. Oh sure there are several US and world series I
    like a whole lot less than others, but to me everything is a trade off. For instance one
    of my favorite coins is the flowing hair half dollar. Unfortunately for me, I can't afford
    the many thousands of dollars that nice choice and gem coins command. I really can't
    even afford the very choice coins with a little light wear on them like XF or AU's. These
    are extremely popular coins and many people avidly seek them in all grades. Good for
    them, but they've priced me out of this market. In fact if you look back over this thread
    you'll see that people look down only on the more modern coins. This works very well
    for modern collectors because it allows us to buy very rare coins for next to nothing. It
    also allows us to buy coins in very high states of preservation for very little money. Clad
    Washington's are my favorite serieas in many ways: The way that rare coins can be found
    in pocket change, the way that the coins in circulation are wearing nice and evenly at a
    pretty steady pace, the way that most can be acquired for a quarter or a little more. Even
    the way that they are becoming increasingly popular but it has not had much impact on
    pricing for all of the most desirable coins. If these coins weren't disliked by so many then
    none of these things would be true.

This bubble is about to burst, though.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    TayTayTayTay Posts: 465 ✭✭
    SBA's & Sac's I really don't care for at all.
    Strangely enough, Morgans don't really do that
    much for me, but Kennedies do (not my fave, but
    I like 'em). Only other modern I like is the Eisenhower.

Charlie
    "What are you putting that tape on your nose for?"
    "Exactly."

• Options
    Here is a prime example of the stuff I don't like:

Sheesh.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file