Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The 1964-D Peace dollar

is a fascinating subject--what's the current "urban myth" ?--does anyone think that examples exist? Too bad we don't live in the old days of the mint when one could have coins struck for your collection--like class II and III 1804 dollars, etc. Sorry, didn't mean to digress--but does anyone think that all 316,076 1964-Ds were melted? Someone had to snag a few! Now that would really be a story!.
Curmudgeon in waiting!

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I think I saw a couple on eBay before.

• Options
    Shhhh....Big Brother is listening. image

• Options
    I wonder if a "Freedom of Information Act" request to the LBJ Library would generate any information.

Placid--Lets see the reverse. If I find one, you guys will get first crack at it! Or maybe Ebay would be better--I'll start it at a dollar!
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Billboat,

There really are some rare moderns, the 64 specimen coins, the 10 gold Sacs at Ft. Knox that were intended to make the shuttle ride, the 66 Proof Jeff (rumor), etc. They just don't get much press.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>is a fascinating subject--what's the current "urban myth" ?--does anyone think that examples exist? >>

I think some do exist. I've heard people who claim to have know someone's brother-in-law who's cousin's seen one. That's good enough for me image.

Seriously, if I were pope of the mint, I would get Congress to monetize all extant 64-D Peace dollars, 74 Aluminum cents, 33 Saints, and whatever else is out there -- under the same deal as the recent 1933 Saint auction: when first auctioned, the government gets half + face. These things are out there, being traded clandestinely. It'd be nice to get them out in the open for all to enjoy (and a few lucky SOBs to own).
  • Options
    Flaminio---I agree. And I wish the Gallery Mint would strike some in 90% silver--I'd buy one in a minute--I just don't like silver clad base metal copies!
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    ttt--would like to hear other opinions!
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

In light of the article in the current Numismatist about the '64-D Peace Dollar, I thought I'd resurrect this thread.

Personally, I think the opinion of legalizing and sharing in the profits on first sales would be a nice idea if any are out there. It's hard for me to believe that after 40 years, there would have been no leakage or "confirmed" evidence of the existence of a 1964-D Peace Dollar. I'd like to think a few survived, but really, I'm not certain.
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭
    Since their destruction was done by weight, anything is possible, but it seems more and more unlikely that we'll ever see one. The article said that two pieces did exist up until 1970 in the D.C. vault, but they too were destroyed.

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    At the 1989 ANA I met Walter Breen and while he was signing my copy of his Encyclopedia, I asked him if he thought any of them will ever turn up. He said "no" out loud, while nodding his head up and down. Ever the enigma.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Well the 1974 Aluminum Cent didn't exist either until last year. But I've held one, so there may be others.

To answer your question, YES a couple probably exist quietly in super high end collections. I would assume, just like the 74 cent, samples are sent to Congress for their opinion and not always returned. Hail the bureaucrats.
  • Options
    richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    They're out there, at least a few. The rumors are too strong. An article in COINage mentioned a Denver Mint employee who spent his at a bar and was not able to return it (them) when they were recalled. image
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just remember, these are the good old days.

You just won't know if for another 20 years or so.
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    No doubt one 1964-D Dollar avoided the melting pot. One popped up in London a couple of years ago. From the pictures that were published it looked circulated.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    You can bet the farm they're out there.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1964-D Peace SuperSized!:

peacockcoins

• Options
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    If I understand the issue behind the 1964-D Peace Dollar, though, as opposed to the 1933 Saint, wouldn't it take an act of Congress to authorize the "legal" status of this coin? That wasn't necessary with the '33 Saint because that issue was already authorized as an ongoing issue, as I understand it, and it was a presidential order -- not Congressional recission of the authorization -- that result in its contraband status.

The 1964-D dollar, on the other hand, was started up by LBJ and Eva Adams behind the backs of Congress, who never approved its production. Thus I would think Congress would have to okay it in this case.

[edited to fix typos.]
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>I wonder if a "Freedom of Information Act" request to the LBJ Library would generate any information >>

Don't think it would do you much god as I don't believe the LBJ library is a government agency so the FOIA would have no authority over them.

<< <i>If I understand the issue behind the 1964-D Peace Dollar, though, as opposed to the 1933 Saint, wouldn't it take an act of Congress to authorize the "legal" status of this coin? That wasn't necessary with the '33 Saint because that issue was already authorized as an ongoing issue, as I understand it, and it was a presidential order -- not Congressional recission of the authorization -- that result in its contraband status.

The 1964-D dollar, on the other hand, was started up by LBJ and Eva Adams behind the backs of Congress, who never approved its production. Thus I would think Congress would have to okay it in this case. >>

The Peace dollar was an authorized coin even though it had not been produced since 1935 so the mint did not need Congressional authorization to strike 1964-D peace dollars. A request for dollar coins from the Fed would have been sufficiant. However the Congress DID authorize the 1964 dollar coinage in the passage of the Act of Aug 3rd 1964, which authorized the coinage of 45 million silver dollars. It was a Presidential order that cancelled their production after some 316,076 had already been produced.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh Hey, I found one!

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    Sweet. That's one from a 1964 cheerios' box, yes?
    The Wegner ARRC Bingle Set

Looking for 1967 PCGS/NGC slabbed coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file