Home U.S. Coin Forum

Pet Peeve

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
I went to the local (an hour away) coin show in Tacoma, Wa yesterday.
I once again saw my major pet peeve (of both dealers/buyers).

Wonder if anyone else seems this and if so, do you shudder? Do you ever say anything?

The pet peeve is people taking BU pieces out of rolls and grabbing them or laying them in an open/sweaty palm image

A few months ago, I saw someone take a roll of 2003 SAE in a dealer case and pick them up, one by one, without using gloves or even just by the rim.
I was thinking of buying one or two until that point. I did buy a few slabbed and 2x2 items from the dealer but will not buy items in rolls from him now because he let the customers do that (no sign to ask not to do it, no mention when they did it in front of him....so, who knows how he handles them while not at a show).

Yesterday, same thing.....dealer has 5 rolls of BU morgans (2x1880s, 2x1898o, and an 1896 I believe). They are in hard plastic and under a case. Buyer looks at them, opens them up, lays them in his palm and looks at each one.
I had thought of maybe buying a roll until I saw that. Buyer did proceed to buy all 5 30 minutes later, so he can do what he wants with them (which, according to him is most likely split apart, cherrypick a few, and sell all on ebay).

Dealer didn't want to offend the buyer, so he let him do it. I was a bit disgusted at watching this buyer (who, I was later told was a past ANA board member (maybe still is), a past ANACS grader, and something else I forget....so, he had coin knowledge supposedly (dealer recognized him by his name)).
While, I will give him the fact that he can grade (he looked at a lincoln I have (I know nothing about lincoln grading...this was a coin given to me by my uncle) and pointed out very quickly that it was a VG and explicitly why...and that it had been dipped years ago and was retoning now....weird color to it), I am scared of buying raw BU coins now because of how people can handle them image

Anyone else see anything like this? How do you handle it? Do you shudder like I do?
What are YOUR pet peeves with buyers/dealers? (other than the morality issues, prices, etc).

Ron

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• See, I would and do get offended when someone holds coins in their palms. Of course, it is my duty as the owner of my coins to request them to hold the coins by their edge before picking them up, if I don't have them in some kind of holder already.

If you pay close enough attention, you will see an occasional dealer doing this as well. I refuse to buy from certain people for this very reason.
  • Oh and my biggest pet peeve, easy, attitude. I hate bad attitudes and I can't stand dealers that won't try to help a kid out.
  • JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    My pet peeve is attitude also. There's a brick and mortar dealer here in Boston (who shall remain nameless) whose employees are routinely snobbish and inattentive. At least they were to me. Imagine their surprise (when they finally got around to serving me), that a guy in jeans and a teeshirt should drop $1000 on coins!

But did they learn not to ever underestimate their customers? No. The second time I went to the store, their attitude was just as bad. Needless to say, it was my last visit.

We ARE watching you.

• Judgmental people drive me nuts Johnz and unfortunately it runs rampant in our society.

I never, ever dress up just to go to a coin show. It is a fun, casual, relaxing event for me and I usually just throw on jeans and a shirt. If a dealer is going to judge me by that and not wait on me, then you know what they say, f*** 'em! image
  • Like mentioned above.....bad attitudes.....

One time I saw a kid asking a dealer(who shall also remain nameless)if 5$ was enough to buy a barber dime in vg cond and the price tag was 6$ and the dealer screamed in his face 'NO!!!!'.....the kid went home crying....and as soon as I saw that happened I spread word and he didn't get many buyers the rest of the day.
  • I don't know about attitudes but a person who handles a coin like a baseball is no collector.
    Care of coins is the first thing a true collector learns. When a fingerprint can drop a coin's
    grade and, therefore it's value, not to mention eye-appeal, the damage can be devastating.

• << <i>I don't know about attitudes but a person who handles a coin like a baseball is no collector.
    Care of coins is the first thing a true collector learns. When a fingerprint can drop a coin's
    grade and, therefore it's value, not to mention eye-appeal, the damage can be devastating. >>

I tottaly agree.I learned right off not to do that.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like people who push me off since I'm young... frankly, I'll return with more money to the nice dealers, and I've told plenty to people at shows to see "so and so" because he has a coin that they may want to see... but I keep quiet if the dealer is rude.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • I agree with everything said here. Improper storage and handling of coins and mistreatment of YNs gets me too angry to convey here.image
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I had a pet peeve once. Kind of looked like a ferret, ate like a pig, and snored

like a chain saw. We names him Pee for short and we enjoyed his playful pranks

for the short duration of his life.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy,

You guys are correct about the attitude towards young people....I don't like to see dealers do that either.
    Side note on that....the same dealers often don't pay much attention to people dressed in "simple" clothing.

Yesterday's show, I had on comfortable walking shorts (about 4 years old and well worn in the look), was unshaven, and had a simple, but nice, shirt on.
    I walked the bourse. I stayed away from the dealers I have gotten to know, at first, so I could look at the dealers who don't normally come to the area except for the largers shows.
    Most of these dealers ignored me. I looked over what they had in their cases very quickly, and, didn't see anything to pique my interest. I also didn't ask.
    Then, I proceeded to the dealers I did know a bit. 5 months ago, they didn't know me but they were friendly and i got to know them.
    I proceeded to spend $229 + $255 + $66 at 3 of them. I probably spend $150-$300 at each of the first two at each show I see them at since the first one. Not a ton of money, but consistent and if i ever see a monster coin that they have that I can afford, I will buy it...and they know it.

What did I get for my money? a set of Ikes in a dansco (good deal on it), a couple of nice/common morgans that have started a very nice rainbow toning and were top/bottom of a paper roll of morgans for years. They are a "bookend" set of morgans.....I just wish more of each coin had toned...would have been monster then image. And, I got a couple of low cost proof sets I still needed (the $66 I spent....I actually got 7 sets). I also got a couple of frankies that I thought were nice, and not too expensive, just so I can start looking at them and learning. Along with those, I got an AH kennedy in ICG PR64 (looks CAM at least to me) so I would have something in hand to learn and compare to. Don't know if I got a good price or not...I paid $25 at the close of the show last night and just wanted it....no toning, just shiny and bright.

back to the topic....when I get a large pet peeve with someone, I cut down my business with them (sometimes to zero).....especially with the attitude peeve.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• ahah Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    Bear, you have great material....image
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old thread, but it made me think of two things:

#1 - How much I miss Bear, and his humor. What a great gentleman.

#2 - My all-time favorite coin show 'pet peave'. People who attend a coin show and decide to spread their Greysheets and binders on top of the dealers glass cases, obscuring 80% of the dealers inventory, while looking through boxes of 2x2s, for hours. Invariably it's the one dealer who has decent material, too. Arg! The dealer often seems oblivious to it all. ???

Sorry to vent. Just getting ready to be annoyed at this Saturday's PNNA Show. imageimageimage

Ok, vent over. But I still miss Old Bear.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked him too. I've noticed a few missing screen names since my recent return.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wise old Bear.

Nice thread resurrection. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my coin show pet peeves: I was at a local show and saw a 20c piece in a dealer's case. The coin was PCGS F12 details cleaned. I ask to see the coin, the cleaning wasn't that bad. I asked the price. The dealer pulls out his Greysheet, looks at the coin, looks back at the Greysheet, looks at the coin again and proceeds to tell me he has 'too much' into the coin and wouldn't give me a price. Why the heck did you have it in your case if you don't want to sell it and why did you waste my time with the whole Greysheet thing?

edited to add: I guess this isn't really a peeve because it happened only once, but I was annoyed.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Attitude, attitude, attitude.... nasty dealers really p*ss me off.... If you are in business, keep a good, welcoming attitude.... smile and say hello.... offer help. Cheers, RickO
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    ...it would have been funny if the OP took it up a knotch and took one of the BU Morgans and put it in his mouth, closed his eyes, and started to make gentle humming sounds.
  • BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My all-time favorite coin show 'pet peave'. People who attend a coin show and decide to spread their Greysheets and binders on top of the dealers glass cases, obscuring 80% of the dealers inventory, while looking through boxes of 2x2s, for hours. Invariably it's the one dealer who has decent material, too. Arg! The dealer often seems oblivious to it all. ??? >>

Dave, this is my biggest pet peeve as well, and until now I thought I was the only collector who had it.
    My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file