• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, a 2003 thread. Where have all the toned Frankie lovers gone? image

Here's a new piece for my type set.

MS 65 FBL CAC
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Frank (the author of this thread) is no longer with us. He was certainly one of the good guys.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    146 graded in ms66fbl and one ms67 fbl . here's my ms66fbl

[URL=http://s992.photobucket.com/user/deltadimeman/media/2455040648D_zps0efc9764.png.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    A neat thing about 1948-D is that a good percentage of the high grade survivors have a "watery" look to the fields that is unique.

The look is somewhat akin to the fields you see on the proof gold Buffaloes.

I always wondered why this particular look only occurs on that particular date/mm.

• Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Might be they were the first set of dies. But then, any answer is a bit of a guess. With proof coins coming out in two years, the die shop may have been focused on that.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember this thread..... started me on my Franklin set... which is complete.... and none are tarnished....image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gone, but NOT forgotten!
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    Great choice for a revive thread MichaelDixon! Really illustrates the type of place this forum once was.

Also cool because the thread is a veritable who's who of the old Franklin Forte!
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW, there are some friggin' GORGEOUS '48-D's in this thread!!!! It's a tough date to find nicely toned.

Here's mine, it's just a lowly MS65FBL...

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options

<< <i>WOW, there are some friggin' GORGEOUS '48-D's in this thread!!!! It's a tough date to find nicely toned.

Here's mine, it's just a lowly MS65FBL...

image >>

Now might be a good time to send some of your GEMS back for another look Sy.

They have been handing out upgrades to Franklins like crazy for the last couple years...especially the BIG COLOR coins.

I know you are not that concerned about MS numbers and values, but it's FUN to get upgrades on the coins you love!

Here's an interesting thing: That 1948-D posted by MadMonk twice in this thread (which is a truly remarkable GEM, although you wouldn't know it from the tiny pic) is the only MS66FBL 1948-D to have been designated as the Doubled Die reverse FS-801 STILL to this day!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file