Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Teletrade.... Don't waist your time.......

Teletrade had about 50 Peace dollars for "auction" this Sunday... only 1 sold (an ICG POS...) I put a bid into a few coins that were at least $ 100 over greysheet.... this was my first time using this auctioner and most likely my last... they hide everyone's bids and never indicate there's a reserve price.

So I bid $ 100+ over greysheet and here's the answer I get from them after looking at their "realized prices" once the auction closed.....

"Note: If a lot does not appear here with a realized price, it did not sell. Such lots were
either not bid on beyond our opening price, or they were bought back by the consignor"

WTF...... why even call it an auction......

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yet another example of the "double nuclear" market.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Peaceman,

When you say this Sunday, are you referring to today? If so, the auction is still running.

<< <i>they hide everyone's bids and never indicate there's a reserve price. >>

This is no different than any major auction house - Heritage, Superior, Goldberg, B&M, etc. eBay is just about the only auction venue that doesn't hide identities and reserves.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Not for peace dollars.......
  • Options
    Teletrade is a joke. I'll take Ebay over Teletrade any day.
  • Options
    Oh, yes. A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

Mike

• Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    My theory is that Natcoin......Er, I mean Teletrade, is not getting nearly the amount of submissions that they did in their pre eBay days, so more of the coins are actually owned by Natcoin.....er,I mean Teletrade, and they aren't going to let anything go unless you meet that full retail reserve on mostly average stuff.Some deals are still there between the high reserve no sales, they are just alot harder to find nowadays it seems.

Disclaimer:I have no knowlede of an affiliation between the two previously mentioned entities, just my theory,I could be wrong.image
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never joined image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    tt prices are to crazy for a poor man like me.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    The biggest problem I see with teletrade is the quality of their stuff. Although slabbed by PCGS and NGC, their stuff is most often low end quality. Most MS66's have so many abrasions, marks, nicks,etc. it's not even worth the trouble to bid. Anyone have the same opinion?
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Less competition for me, thank you.image
    While I agree that a lot of their coins are low-end or average for the grade, there are times you can get lucky with nice coins, too. Their services are terrific, at least for me, so far.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    AGREE!

There descriptions are terrible. Everything is "above average" or "excellent" (i.e. above average strike, excellent luster).

Although I still preview their auctions, I haven't bid on anything in more than 12 months. I've been burned too many times.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Teletrade is the official dumping ground for folks - I'd stick with E-bay blindly over them. That is what you call a true auction.

Marc
  • Options
    I've had very good luck with TeleTrade. It's just like everywhere you buy online; you have to look at the coin. Their close up images can't get much better. By the way, they have quite a few "problem" MS67 Silver Commemoratives for auction tonight!image But then, these coins should only be MS66 or MS65 and are horribly overgraded by both PCGS and NGC; that is why they are "dumped" on TeleTrade.image
  • Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you feel the MS67 coins are overgraded then buy them for the MS65 or 66 price and send them back to PCGS for the down grade and collect a few bucks on each one.

• Options
    IMHO, Teletrade has gone downhill since Natcoin took them over. I believe that it is more like a retail outlet than a true auction these days. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file