Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBay Power Sellers - is there any REAL benefit to joining?

RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
Once again, eBay is sending me invitations. I usually just trash can them because, well, I couldn't care less about having another logo in my listings. But, for those of you who are power sellers, is there any real benefit? For example, if I joined could I actually get a response to eMail that wasn't generated by an automated 'bot? Also, if I joined am I required to add the Power Screwer logo?

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• Options
    I WAS a Silver PowerSeller for a little over a year. There are virtually no benefits, it's all hogwash. You get a powerseller discussion board and a little logo, that's about it. Oh and you get a little certificate in the mail...
  • Options
    OOOoooooooohhh!!! AAAaaaaaaaaahhhh!!! A certificate!!! Now I find out!!!image
  • Options
    I don't think there is any hard evidence to suggest that it would attract more bidders.
    Russ is already established here and on Ebay with a solid record of positive feedbacks, I guess if you got the cool icon, it would just be an extra symbol, but maybe new users to Ebay who do not know you would feel more secure, I have no idea whether there is hard data to support that.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I sold one or two pricey coins and that qualified me. That tells you its value right there. It's a bunch of garbage. No reason to take them up on the offer.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    I was a power seller 1 1/2 years ago. I used my special powerseller email and got as much satisfaction as not emailing at all. Heck, I didn't get a certificate either. I did get invited to the powerseller gathering in CA. Total benefit = 0. Nothing but ego stroking by eBay in hopes of getting you to list even more.
  • Options
    islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    Real...a 25 cent certificate for your cluttered work room wall that no one sees..

possibly real......newbies to ebay dont realize yet all the scammers and slime that also are powersellers so just with them they be more confident in bidding on your auctions

fiancial benefit....zippo , wait a minute....I think I do remember where you get a free ticket for one of their ebay healing revival jam night groupie sessions near Deliverance, FLimage
    YCCTidewater.com
  • Options
    You nailed it, FatMan. By the way, do you have another name I can call you by? I feel like I'm insulting someone. image

Truly, there is no benefit to being a powerseller until you get up into the gold ranking, which is $10,000 a month the last time I heard. Then there is Platinum, $25,000 a month and then Titanium, which is way up there but I don't remember the exact figure.

It's a psychological marketing tool for stupid people to get them to list more junk, which in return makes eBay even more money. If you don't keep on top of your quota of $1,000 a month, you get the big bad e-mail saying "Please meet $1,000 or lose your logo!!"

Believe it or not, it works and there is a whole underworld on eBay that gathers on the PowerSeller discussion board talking about how elite they are.

When you get to gold status, you actually get a dedicated account manager who you can call. You get a phone number, but, anyone that has any sort of internet skills can get their phone number by doing a quick search in Google.

So, what is the real benefit to you? ZERO. Oh and, this might make some of you mad but an eBay rep. told me once that eBay requires more proof to NARU powersellers than they do for average users. So I guess the one benefit to you is if you're a shady person, eBay will require more proof to suspend you! Ahh..
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    You guys just confirmed what I suspected. Trash can it is.

Now that I think about it, the only real problems I've had as a buyer on eBay have been transactions with power sellers. Most recent being the old standby scam of bait and switch.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    To answer the question about the special "powerseller" e-mail link, it doesn't work. The URL is the exact same thing as for normal users and goes to the exact same webform. They just have the link say PowerSeller. The response times are the same, regardless of what they say.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can start ripping people off and selling overgraded crap and eBay won't mind image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    I agree, the powerseller logo means EBay won't suspend you no matter what you do because they know that icon translates to $$$.
  • Options
    I was a powerseller about a year ago. I saw no benefit at all. I didn't even get a certificate.

Numonebuyer
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    I've been trashing them for years..............and I see no need to changemy actions i the forseeable future! Craig
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree, the powerseller logo means EBay won't suspend you no matter what you do because they know that icon translates to $$$. >>

That seems to be true. There was one powerseller I bought from that was the biggest jerk I ever dealt with in my life. I didn't bother with
    the negative feedback as his e-mails implied the retaliatory feedback would be there for me. As time passed I would occasionally check on
    his feedback when I came upon his auctions. Every once in awhile he got a negative, but in just a couple of weeks the negatives would be
    removed. None of them were threats or profane. I guess if you throw lots of $$$ at eBay & become a powerseller you can have negative
    feedback removal as one of the benefits.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    Man, you folks can be tough.
    I'm a powerseller. Not a powerscrewer or anything like that. Let me ask you all something. When you see someone selling items, and they have an ANA logo next to their name does it hold any water? Maybe. Same with the Powerseller logo. Maybe. There are good sellers and bad sellers. Forming the defintion for each can be difficult depending on individual transactions.
    I feel, overall, I do a good job representing what I sell in an accurate manner. Now, the buyer of an ANACS slabbed Lincoln who claimed I cracked the slab and switched coins and then reholdered the slab doesn't think the same of me. That buyer will never do business with me again, at least that's what they told me in their email. They are probably sitting at home, saying look at that Powerscammer, lying SOB. I'm at home saying what a fruitcake. Am I a Powerscrewer? To that buyer I am.
    To insinuate that ALL Powersellers are scammers is a joke. Like anything else that has to do with Ebay, you have to sift through the pile to find the good stuff. For some, that's too much work, and without doing the necessary "work", they will be "Powerscrewed".
    As far as benefits to being a Powerseller, I enjoy the exclusive toll free help line, and seperate Ebay support email. I have used both, and can say I am VERY happy with the support I received each time I used it. Always a response within 24 hours. Maybe I'm just lucky in that dept.
    I also get a heads up on the different promotions (Free BIN listings, 1c listing days etc.), which may not be a big deal to anyone, but if I'm listing certain items, it can be a beneficial heads up.
    Are any of these benefits earth shattering? Of course not. I'll take what they give me, FOR FREE, and try to use these features to my advantage, however little or insignificant they may seem.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options

<< <i>Oh and, this might make some of you mad but an eBay rep. told me once that eBay requires more proof to NARU powersellers than they do for average users. So I guess the one benefit to you is if you're a shady person, eBay will require more proof to suspend you! >>

Case in point. This seller starts no reserve auctions and ends them in the last few minutes because the sell is not high enough. EBay will suspend a seller for abusing the reserve fee avoidance rule yet this one never seems to get the NARU:

Powerscrewer

The PowerSeller logo means little from a buying standpoint.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file