Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Toned business strike Jefferson nickels

With all of the attention "monster" toned proof Jefferson's have been getting, I was wondering if the prices for the really nicely toned business strike nickels have increased also. Anyone follow the market for the toned business strikes?

Thanks.
Bruggs

Comments

• Options
    I don't follow the market on business strike Jeffs. I have watched a few toned ones get big premiums. I did buy an Applachian hoard Jeff which is pretty neat. And yes, I had to pay a significant premium for this one.

• Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    I've got 8 toned like this or nicer (the business strikes from 1960-64), and have been reluctant to send them in because of the no grades being given to the proofs right now. They came out of mint sets that had been put in the Capitol plastics holders with the purple flannel covers.

"Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Bruggs

i started a toned set in an Intercept folder after i picked one up cheap in late spring. there are plenty of beautifully toned Jefferson Nickels to be found for less than $2 each if your willing to forego the need of fully struck steps. many of the 1950-1964 year coins are so difficult to find with full steps that those years are a trade-off.

holdered coins are a different story. they can get expensive and in my opinion unless they have a grade equal to the price, my money is better spent elsewhere. that seems to be the current market where competition for the finest already found coins can get nutty. i say search for raw ones and learn the series at the same time. i snag OMM's fairly regularly. picked up another 1946-D/D in at least MS64 for $3.50 while failing to find any pretty colored coins at the ANA.

al h.image
  • Options

If I had this Jefferson graded what do you think the value might be? It has beautiful toning and full steps even though itis a modern coin it is still 20 years old.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. start a new thread
    2. that is a proof
    3. need better lit pictures
    4. need photos of both sides
    5. attractiveness and thus value is subjective
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2021 4:29PM

Well you found an 18 year old thread to go with your 20 year old coin.

Hint..... Hint..... You can start a new thread. ;)

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gixxer said:
    If I had this Jefferson graded what do you think the value might be? It has beautiful toning and full steps even though itis a modern coin it is still 20 years old.

I'm thinkng a 2001-S would be a proof.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although pretty, no actual premium.

What is interesting about this thread is the sage advice/observations Keets gives are still valid today.

peacockcoins

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No premium for the proof coin.... JMO..... But get it slabbed and prove me wrong.... or right!! ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

While CRHunting. ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gixxer said:

A novice coin collector might think this coin is beautiful, has full steps and is truely valuable...to them anyway. Since it's a raw coin, might be worth a buck. Happy hunting!

Leo :)

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file