Home U.S. Coin Forum

A dip gone bad

shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
Lakesammman spotted this coin on Ebay recently, and now that a new image has turned up in Heritage's Long Beach Sig Sale our suspicions are confirmed. Not only did the dip not remove any of the spots but it clung to areas of the coin, turning it very funky. I owned it two years ago and it was one of my first experiments in digital imaging. At that time it was in a PCGS MS65 green holder. Someone's going to have to explain to me how this got regraded at MS65 by PCGS!

Before/After

Comments

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone sure ruined a really beautiful original looking 1859 Indian Cent. Too bad. This type of thing makes the remaining (surviving) natural coins worth a bit more...

It's also instructive to demonstrate the reduction in the amount of mint luster on the coin caused by the dipping.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Very sad. Why take a chance on ruining a coin like that? Oh, never mind...$$$$$$.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • I'm bothered that this coin even got regraded at the same level. It should have clearly been bodybagged. If I can tell that by looking at a scan then something is wrong at PCGS. image
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I would guess that the dip was not neutralized but slowly turned ugly

It probably did not look the way it looks now when PCGS slabbed it

a grade guarantee coin of the near future?
  • shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    It probably did not look the way it looks now when PCGS slabbed it

Good point Sinin1, I didn't consider that but I bet you're right.
    Manofcoins -- I sold it thru Heritage for $2100 over a year ago, a little more than I paid for it. The flecks keep it from being a solid 65, even with the nice strike. Nowadays decent examples are selling for 3K+. Perhaps someone will buy this one cheap and give NCS a shot.
  • Man, what a shame. image
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    hmmm ,Why someone felt the need to curate the coin in the first place is beyond me.
    Oh well. image
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pictures speak for themselves.image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• That is truely disgusting. There was absoultely no reason to dip that coin.....
    Paul Fillmore
    ANA LM5200
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Manofcoins -- I sold it thru Heritage for $2100 over a year ago, a little more than I paid for it. The flecks keep it from being a solid 65, even with the nice strike. Nowadays decent examples are selling for 3K+. Perhaps someone will buy this one cheap and give NCS a shot. >>

This is an example of a nice original coin that has been ruined. It will probably end up at NCS but no matter what they do it will never be original again. I become convinced more every day that truly original coins from the early series are going to have their day in the not too distant future. They are getting very hard to find!
    All glory is fleeting.
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know whether to vomit or ****. That used to be a nice coin, Paul. A few small flecks you can do without, but they don't preclude an MS 65 grade. This coin should be bagged. Ira Stein once told me that it can take a month or two for copper to go bad & other copper guys have confirmed this.

PCGS should cut a check for this coin & get it off the market.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That coin won't cross at NGC...or ANACS, ICG for that matterimage

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    too bad that coin is a little pricey to be bathing. it looked pretty nice before it was cleaned

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Shylock - I know that you are the expert in tracking Indians, but just for my sanity sake, how do you know that this is the same coin? The first one looks so nice as to wonder why some idiot would even consider dipping such a beautiful coin.
    Sorry if this is an affront to your expertise.image
    Tom
    Tom

• If I'd ever been tempted to dip a coin before, this has convinced me to
    LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE !
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    They look like two diffferent coins to me, perhaps they are-------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same coin though now worth less. K

• I love the cataloguer's description:

"A radiant example with excellent sharpness on the headdress and blushes of golden-orange patina surrounding the portrait and over the entire reverse. Important one-year type and an issue that is quite elusive any finer."

What a crock.

Tom look at the small spots/marks directly in front on the eye, nose, and between the E and D of UNITED. They line up perfectly on both coins.
  • STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

The original color of an 1859 Indian cent should look close to the color of jnickel and not copper.After all there is 88% nickel and 12% copper.This coin was dipped before Shylock bought the coin.

Stewart
  • STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Definitely Sloppy work !!!!

stewart
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    wow paula great thread
    i was going to post that the coin got dipped and when this coin was reholdered/regraded it had not turned yet and probably turned aftee the coin was reholdered/regraded

i am surprised this coin would be offered on heritage and not sent in for the guarantee

does heritage think this coin will sell?? and even if so why would they put their reputation at risk by offering a no brainer dipped coin gone bad in the holder??

and then photograph it as such??

also for me and i think mostly anyone these two photos you posted are the same coins and it is like a no brainer to me that they are the same coins

again thanks paul for this really informative astute thread

it is curious that someone said on here the coin was dipped before it got into the green holder?
    hmmmmmmmmmmmm

i just do not know i think most likely after

but if so why would someone try to remove fly specks with a quick dip especially so with a nice looking coin like this which i think it is another no brainer that the flecks would not go away by a simple dip

and most likely even ruin/change the color of the coin??

again a really interesting informative thread

michael

• NewmismatistNewmismatist Posts: 1,802 ✭✭

<< <i>The original color of an 1859 Indian cent should look close to the color of jnickel and not copper.After all there is 88% nickel and 12% copper.This coin was dipped before Shylock bought the coin. >>

Stewart - I think that should be 88% Copper & 12% Nickel - see any version of the Red Book - Rick Kay recently sent several 1858 patterns for SEM-EDX testing & they came back approx 89 CU / 11% NI which is essentially the standard C-N alloy used between 1856 & 1864 on FE & IHC pennies - There are several patterns during this period that are 75% CU & 25% NI which is the standard compostion of 3CN Nickels, Shield Nickels, Liberty Nickels & Jefferson Nickels (except the wartime issues). The Nickel Alloy patterns during this period (1858-1864) are as follows: 1856 Judd-183 (Pollack-214 & a variation listed as Pollack-217), 1858 Judd-217a (Pollack-240 - same design as Judd-193), 1858 Judd-218a (Pollack-232 - same design as Judd-198), 1858 Judd-207a (Pollack-244 - same design as Judd-206). THere are also a couple of pure Nickel FE patterns (1856 Pollack-208 & Pollack-241, neither listed in Judd, Pollack says Unique?). Per Pollack, quoting the Coinage Act of February 21, 1857, Section 4: "And be it enacted, from and after the passage of this act . . . [weight verbiage omitted] . . . and the cent shall be composed of eighty-eight percentum of copper and twelve percentum of Nickel"
    Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
    Stewart - (I should have mentioned this at the top) The original coin did not look gold the way it does in my image, it had an original CN "white" look. This was one of the first pics I took with my camera and the color balance and lighting was way off. I had to brighten the image considerably for the benifit of this post so you could see all fly specs.

Tom - besides all the spots that match up, there's even a cud at 7 o'clock on the obverse rim on both coins. This coin's loaded with pedigree marks, most of which the dippee was trying to remove to double his money.
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    The original is definitely better. I think dipping silver or gold, if done correctly and for the benefit of the coin, is OK. But I don't see any need or benefit to dipping copper and only disaster for it. Shame that the coin had to suffer.
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Well, it USED to be a beautiful coin.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    shylock - in the first post you did not mention you had previously owned it

that must hurt - like selling an original '59 Chevy and having some kid total it out in the next weekimage
  • A sad day for Indian head lovers.
  • I am against cleaning in general unless absloutely necessary and I would never touch a copper coin at all. I would love to see that coin again in a few years..... even if they used high quality chemicals on it, that stuff will just keep eating away at the surface of the coin.... in a few years it will look ten times worse. Having leftover chemicals on the coin is the only way that it looked fine at PCGS and it is going to hell now.

Only thing worse I can think of is when I met a guy that cleaned his copper pennies with Texas Pete Hot Sauce and Brasso.... I told the idiot he should just use battery acid and sandpaper so he could destroy them faster!!!!!
    Alexandria Collection

It is better to dwell in the corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman and in a wide house. - Proverbs 25:24
  • Wondering how that coin got slabbed as PCGS MS-65 after the dip?????

I would bet money that a big dealer and regular submitter to PCGS sent this coin in. If I submitted it I would get a BB.
  • Hey, can we find out who dipped this coin? Shouldn't be too hard. Let's just see who consigned the coin. I want to get a hold of the dipper and dip that pinhead in a 55 gallon drum of MS-70. Scum ball.

Where's the "coin doctor posse" when you need them. It was probably someone on the posse who dipped this coin!
  • NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acid dipping is a form of "acceptable cleaning" for the grading services. Coins will continue to be ruined by dipping as long as there are no disincentives to dip coins in acid, such as body-bagging dipped coins or labeling them as dipped with a net grade.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Oh man, does that suck 7 ways to Sunday! Thank you for posting the images. That is exhibit #1 for the case of 'Why coins should be left alone'!

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, can we find out who dipped this coin? Shouldn't be too hard. Let's just see who consigned the coin. I want to get a hold of the dipper and dip that pinhead in a 55 gallon drum of MS-70. Scum ball.

Ditto.

Great sluething, Shylock.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    that coin SUCKS (now). i really despise jerk-offs who just can't keep their grimy hands off of perfectly beautiful coin. why don't they go dip there face in the toilet & see how they like it.

DIPPING IS DOCTORING, & coin doctors SUCK!

K S
  • Thanks for pointing this out - I just blew chunks on my keyboard imageimageimageimageimageimage

Anybody who would take a beautiful original IHC and treat it like that deserves no mercy from the real collectors!!!
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As Michael said, the coin was probably resubmitted right after the dip, before the chemicals had adequate time to interact and make that coin look like barf-bag material. Only someone with a negative IQ would try to dip copper, unless the person was trying to perpetrate fraud on an unknowing buyer.TRY TO BUY COPPER IN AN OLDER HOLDER IF POSSIBLE & YOU WON'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS ****.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    Send it back to PCGS!! Let them deal with the problem and correct it!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!

• An unscrupulous person, if they know what they are doing, can get away with dipping a copper-nickel as it can look good at least for a while. Obviously they were hoping to upgrade the coin to a 66. This makes me wonder about the history of the three current generation MS66 copper-nickels that are in the same auction. Would have a hard time bidding on those now if I was so inclined to previously.
    believe it or not, i thought about this coin for a long time last night at home, & it still bugs the he11 out of me that some freaking moron coin-doctor s.o.b can't keep his creepy freakin mitts off of coins. in fact, this is why i brought up the infamous coin-doctor posse in another thread yesterday.

you'll remember that members of said posse didn't agree that dipping coins equates to doctoring. this thread shows why i totally disagree.

broils the he11 out of me that there are so many peanut-brained jerks whose only objective is to think they can squeeze that extra 50 cents out of a coin if they can just dip it ONE MORE TIME. eerrhghghghgfhhghghh!!!

K S
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    TTT....calling the posse...even crappy ineffective damaging dipping is OK at pcgs for the same 65image

I cant really see that much difference from the AT grim...why...why..why pcgs didnt you punish with even a 64...like K6Az and dragons overgraded CCs gem I strongly suggest you get this damaging stuff off the market, reslab and dock your graders paychecks to let them know you are serious....this inconsistant crap must stop!!
    YCCTidewater.com
    ttt
    ttt

• That should be a crime! Wait, IT IS A CRIME!!!!!
  • laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps not my place to say, but the end of the left ribbon end on the reverse seems to line up differently with the denticles from one picture to the next. Strictly an uninformed opinionimage
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Having had a Lincoln 1909VDB rejected because of possible artificial color, this is sad. Who out there can submit to PCGS and get anything graded PM me. This is SAD!!! My coin did not have artificial color!!! A 46D lincoln bagged as wiped came from an original roll I have had for 22 years. My coins are BodyBagged and this piece of Chit is graded???? imageimage

• If that's a 65, I've got plenty of 80's!
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file