Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

I'm reeeeeally starting to get tired of this seller

If the 3% mandatory Paypal fee wasn't bad enough, then the shill bidding fiasco, now he ends a big auction with around a minute to go.

Block's 68 Clemente AS PSA 9

Comments

• Options
    right on . . . what's up with that?image
  • Options
    Wow,
    I was getting ready to start the same post but for a different card.
    Blocksportscards had a 1974 #1 aaron psa 9 card up for sale that i was very interested in.When i checked to see what the card ended up at, I find out that the seller closed the auction right before the end with many different bidders.WEAK,WEAK,WEAK....DID I MENTION THAT THIS SELLER IS WEAK!!!!
    Defintely will Never buy anything from Larry Block.I know that there a few reasons to end auctions early but if you want a certain price for an item then dont put a no reserve auction up on ebay.
    Im gonna stop by Blocks booth at the next big show and tell them how wonderful they are.
  • Options
    Motocrosser emailed me that he also did it on a 61 MAntle Thrills card #406 PSA 9. Evidently, he did it on lots of cards.

Blocks seller list with many closed early, just before the end of auction.
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

As a seller...you know you are in trouble when LMAYER is your high bidder with a minute to go.

John
  • Options
    StumpStump Posts: 927
    Isn't this guy a PSA highlighted dealer. I see him in the magazine every month. I am not sure this is the type of dealer PSA wants on their approved list. A shilling incident is one thing but now we have a pattern. Hmmm??

Dave
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options

<< <i>As a seller...you know you are in trouble when LMAYER is your high bidder with a minute to go. >>

Basilone - I've noticed the same thing! LOL
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    I checked on the '68 Clemente card with about 5 minutes to go and the high bid was $320 which was cheap for that card. It's a shame that I didn't catch that he was cancelling bids that close to the end of the auction or else I would have been rapid firing out bids faster than he could cancel them and won the card as the sole bidder. image
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Dan-
    Would that work? If that was the case you could just set a whole bunch of snipes to keep firing off, 2 seconds apart. Then you'd probably end up winning the card for the opening bid!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    I don't think it will work the way Ebay has it set up now. I think you used to have to manually cancel all bids and then end the auction. Now when ending the auction you choose between selling to the currrent high bidder or cancelling all bids. Ebay probably doesn't leave any window open to sneak in a bid.
  • Options
    Block, is a complete (Block Head).
    The guy should be off EBAY...I had a snipe for the1961 topps 406 Mantle PSA 9 loaded. He ended the auction with 3 minuets to go. I think he ends auctions because the card Isn't close to SMR. What a nut! Kris Kemppler was high at $360-80, a little more than half SMR. I had a
    snipe of $715.00. I was $115.00 over SMR. I probably WOULD NOT have won the card. I'll never bid on anything he puts on ebay.

John/jml517
    call me mx'er...

This is just ridiculous. What else does this seller have to do to smear his own name even more? How could a buyer have any confidence that he would send a card if he let an auction go to completion?
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    This guy has to be a complete moron........From my personal eBay selling experience, most of the high dollar bids are snipes set to go off with 4 to 6 seconds to go. This guy is just costing himself cash, and ruining his rep to boot.

Oh well
    1963 TOPPS~ SayitaintsoJoe's Fresh from the pack Screamers~ All pictured in living color

"There's no crying in baseball card set building."
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I also had a bid on the 1974 topps PSA 9 #1 card and two others. He should place a reserve if he is afraid that the card will not bring his price. The guy does many shows. I will keep this in mind when I pass his table.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    This usually happens when the cards are on consignment and still with the consignor and then the consignor changes his mind about selling the cards. The innocent seller has no choice but to end the auctions because he has nothing to deliver to the winners. The seller is so upset with the consignor for jerking around his good customers that he bans the consignor from any future dealings.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    I say, "guilty until proven innocent". Even if that were the case, I would tell the consignor to take a hike. Wasn't this guy on the board about a month ago trying to defend himself?
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    If that is the case, that consignor has really ruined Blocks' reputation with many people. The dealer should have told him that he would not end the auction and to never do business with him again. This industry is too small to do stuff like this.
    Unfortunately, I don't believe that to be the case.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    Would you believe alien abduction?
  • Options
    StumpStump Posts: 927
    Hey BLOCKBROAD do you know this guy or are you his adviser. This guy continues to smear his own name blaming everyone else. Its called a patternnnnnn.

Daveimage
  • Options
    nortynorty Posts: 201
    John Basilone:

Just curious, what's wrong with LMAYER? He's bought a lot of cards from me with never a problem.

Joe Tauriello
    Setbuilders Sports Cards
    Ebay: set-builders & set-builders2
  • Options
    Norty,

As far as I know, nothing is wrong with Lmayer. I believe that John Basilone is just pointing out that Lmayer places lowball bids on just about everything. So, if he's the high bidder with a minute to go, chances are pretty good that the seller won't be very happy with the ending price.

I often do a search for items where Lmayer is currently the high bidder. It saves me a lot of time searching for bargains. The next increment above his high bid is usually a steal.
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    LMAYER is a great and dependable purchaser and I don't believe anyone could have a problem with him, he just doesn't bid excessively or aggressively. Translating into the seller didn't get a top dollar for the card if LMAYER won the auction.

Just my opinion.

Mark
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    It's pretty funny how we've all developed reputations with other bidders. I would be curious to know what others say about my bidding habits.
  • Options
    Or maybe not . . . image
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Amazing. Just got home to see my Snipes were all cancelled for several of his auctions. He listed "error in listing" as the cause. Yeah, putting NO RESERVE in his auction listing was the error. EBAY shouldn't allow this. They shouldn't allow cancellations within a certain time of auction closing. Besides, with snipes in vogue now, the seller is potentially losing good sales.image
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    <<<<It's pretty funny how we've all developed reputations with other bidders. I would be curious to know what others say about my bidding habits.>>>

Two Words- "Vargha Buck$$"!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    <<<<<Dan Markel>>>>>>>>

I Had Website problems that made the Pictures not show up on the auction pages.
    Without Pictures, bids would not be what they should as I'm sure you all can figure that out.

I appreciate your interest, and hope to see your continued interest.

We have the Website problem fixed, and the cards will be relisted today.
    Last night was the first time ever ending a auction early.
    Unless there is some other problem like last night, we will not be ending any future auctions early ever.

<<<<NO, NO, NO>>>>>>>>>

No, its not because they were consignment as somebody mentioned on here.
    All Our consignors knows the rules of our auctions. Such as:
    * Every card no matter the value starts at $9.99
    * Every Auction has NO reserve (No matter the value)
    * Absolutely NO bidding on your own items.
    * Payment is made to consignor only after all funds from winning bidders have cleared.
    and, Etc.

Thank you again guys for keeping your eye on the hobby / industry.......It helps

Sincerely,
    Lawrence D. Block
    Block Sportscards, Inc.

800-574-6440

• Options
    Lawrence,

I appreciate your willingness to respond here but I have one other question. Did you just happen to notice that all of these auctions didn't have adequate pictures with just a couple minutes left in each? Wouldn't this have been something you would have caught early on in the listing of the items? Just curious.

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    There's no probelm whatsoever with Lmayer. As Basilone was pointing out, Lmayer low balls everything and will occasionally get a great deal in the process (so when he wins the seller loses). It's a smart practice if you have the patience.
  • Options
    Block,
    Still not buyin what your sellin and never will.Your pictures were not showing for at least a few days.Why not stop the listings back then?
    Why wait till the last minute?
    You are right about one thing....The people on this board are great watchdogs for the hobby and will not continue to let shady dealings go on.Not enough room for sellers like that.
  • Options
    Oh yeah,
    Larry Mayer is a fantastic person to deal with!!!!!
  • Options
    <<<<To all you name calling posting people>>>>>

Your input on this message board is a great asset to myself, and many others as I always say, but when you start attacking before know what you are talking about, then you just look childish.

If you even knew half of what you are talking about, you wouldn't need to start with the name calling, bad mouthing, and promising not to ever do business with who ever. Not everything fits into your neat little box of rules like you want them to. Life happens, and problems happens in that life that happens. We all deal with them the best we can. Sorry I've had a string of bad luck lately that made things not fit in your little box of rules. I do what I can to best resolve problems, just like you all.

My website was down and the pictures for these auctions were on the site. Therefore the pictures didn't work on the auction pages. I know a lot of people would have liked to bid also if the pictures worked.
    OUT OF 4 YEARS ON EBAY THIS WAS THE FIRST AUCTION ENDED EARLY.

Those of you who do not resort to these childish messages I do not in any way mean this to be directed towards you at all. Please forgive my words, But I can only listen to these guys name calling crap so long.

<<<<<STUMP>>>>>>
    The above wasn't to you but I do have something to say to you, and that is "Pattern"
    Watch my pattern in the future. It has just been bad luck, and timing lately that is making it look like a pattern. Thank you my friend. image

<<<<<<dakota>>>>>
    "weak"............Weak is your character to make judgments before you know the story, or the person.
    PLEASE DO STOP BY MY BOOTH AND TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK. I LOOK FORWARD TO IT BUDDY.image

One last thing here. I'm going to apologize not only to the non-name callers, but to you name calling people also. Under the circumstances I made a decision that I thought would be best for all. When there is a problem, there is no way to please all. I'm sorry to you who wanted to bid and didn't get the chance. like I said, under the circumstances I think many of you might have done the same for the first time also.

I will be re-listing them tonight. Feel free to bid, or not. But they will not be ending early again.

To every single one of you who post..... THANK YOU........YOU HELP MANY.....image

Sincerely,
    Lawrence D. Block
    Block Sportscards, Inc.

800-574-6440

• Options
    Life does happen and I wish you the best in the future.I will take your offer and stop by your booth to chat like adults.
  • Options
    <<<<<<<Wayne>>>>>>>>>

I noticed earlier that day. There are a few facts that made this happen the way it did.

First. I was in the middle of moving last week. No PC up for several days.

second. the pictures on all the auction were OK for the first few days before we started moving.

Together the two made horrible timing for us, and the auction.
    I didn't have a pc up till that night to check on them. I wanted to get to the questions before it got close to the end of the auctions. In reading them a lot asked why the pictures wasn't working. I started looking into it a fount that it was my website host. (I didn't even know my website was down)

I know this may all sound suspect to some of you, but I can show any proof you want to prove it.

Thank you for your reply.

Sincerely,
    Lawrence D. Block
    Block Sportscards, Inc.

800-574-6440

• Options
    Anyone selling tickets to the upcoming DAKOTA - BLOCK chat?
  • Options
    THANK YOU DAKOTA

I truely look forward to it

Sincerely,
    Lawrence D. Block
    Block Sportscards, Inc.

800-574-6440

• Options
    Mr. Block......as one of the name callers, I wish to now offer my apology for reacting and not hearing your side of the matter.

John
    1963 TOPPS~ SayitaintsoJoe's Fresh from the pack Screamers~ All pictured in living color

"There's no crying in baseball card set building."
  • Options
    <<<<SayitaintsoJoe63>>>>

Thank you. It truely is big of you to offer your apologies.

Thank you for that, and watching the hobby as you guys do....image

Sincerely,
    Lawrence D. Block
    Block Sportscards, Inc.

800-574-6440http://www.blocksportscards.com/bsil.gif

• Options
    Lawrence,

I appreciate your response.

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    Larry

Fair enough. I am assuming there was no secrect message in the word pattern. I would suggest next time to be proactive and post here what happened as most of these guys are buyers of PSA graded cards. Your answers seem genuine and I will bid in the future.

Daveimage
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    I wouldnt buy anything from this guy. Didnt he admit that a "friend " bid on his lots then he cancels auctions because he doesnt have the price. He is VERY VERY WEAK.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    LARRY - This is my 1st post on this thread, and my question to you is. Why don't you post on a regular basis? You seem to come on here when there is a problem. You address the situation and move on, and nothing more. You can be an asset to these boards, and pick up some customers and contacts along the way. The guys who have posted here are hard-core collectors who do worry about the integrity of our industry, they are not trouble makers. Just keep the flow of communication and we will all benefit...jay (not affiliated w/ Craig of Quality Cards of Wisc)
  • Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    ... First. I was in the middle of moving last week. No PC up for several days ... Together the two made horrible timing for us, and the auction. ...

- Lawrence Block

Wasn't this the same excuse you gave me after last years Nationals (2002)? When you couldn't communicate or wouldn't respond to your PAYPAL paying customers for 2 weeks? Let's see ... hmmm ... did it take a PAYPAL complaint against you to get you to release my card?

Before you offer an excuses or try and discount my comments, here is my proof ...

Dispute Lawrence Block 5LL53980RM0071448 Aug 6, 2002 -$149.52 Non Receipt Aug 19, 2002 Case Closed

... taken directly from PAYPAL. Remember how rude you were on the phone??

You are not dealing with amateurs on this board with your childish games! You continue to embarrass yourself with your actions and your customer service.
  • Options
    <<<<<<<SIXDART>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes, I move out of my office to a home office. Now I moved to new home OK.....

Why don't come and see me at a show, or call and be a man and talk face to face with me if you have a problem.image

You personally, I can't stand. You were the rude one on the phone. I'm willing to work out any problems with anybody. I give my 800 # every time so you or anybody els that has a problem can call toll free and let me know about it. Just stop acting like a child with your rediculous name calling. It doesn't do anybody any good.

Thank you for your input anyway SixDart.

Sincerely,
    Lawrence D. Block
    Block Sportscards, Inc.

800-574-6440

• Options
    To All.

I have re-listed them all as I said. Thank you for your time.

Bid if you want, don't bid if you don't want to with us.

Re-listed auctions =====Click Here======

Thanks again all.

Sincerely,
    Lawrence D. Block
    Block Sportscards, Inc.

800-574-6440

www.BlockSportscards.com
  • Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    You personally, I can't stand. ...

- Lawrence Block.

From the current comments on this board, it is quite opposite I think?!?!

If you remember, during that particular time, your 1-800 number was not working. You called my cell phone, in the middle of class instruction, and would not wait for my return phone call on a land line during a break.

You would not have FINALLY contacted me if it were not for the fact that someone mentioned that the PSA CU Forum had an ongoing post about you. You call a customer with a WHAT'S UP? attitude.

If your offer was ... having me send a money order in addition to my PAYPAL payment is working it out - you are a bigger fool than I thought! You see, your PAYPAL account was already frozen for the same related issue that I had with you. Check out your 1st negative - remember why you received it! You wanted me to send you a money order and cancel my PAYPAL complaint against you. You told me that was the only way to get my card, and that you would not release it until you had the funds in hand - even though it was sitting in your FROZEN PAYPAL account.

If your idea of customer service is blackmail, then I see why you are having the problems that face you today. You see things through your perspective only - I suspect that will never change. And then to hold hostage the threat of negative feedback.

All I ever asked from you was an apology, which you refused to give - under any circumstances.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

<< <i>Just curious, what's wrong with LMAYER? He's bought a lot of cards from me with never a problem. >>

Norty:

There is nothing wrong with LMAYER personally or that he his a problem bidder...but he is notorious throughout the eBay collecting circles as being the ultimate low-baller. Nothing wrong with that from his end. He places most of his bids early so its not like he is winning through snipes. Horizontal is right on the money...do a search to see what he is bidding on (at times its been over 3000 items at a time) and if he is winning an item..it is a steal....A great time saver!

Once again GemMintMan & Horizontal are right on the money.

John
  • Options
    DartSix,

I think you are misunderstanding the paypal problem. NO NO NO it was never froze because a complaint as you say. It was a matter of information they needed, that we have corrected.

I have never held a card hostage as you claim.
    I asked you to reverse your payment on paypal, and pay by another form. Then at that point I would deliver the card. If we can't receive payment for a card (That paypal was not letting us at the time) We couldn't send it. Nobody out of 23 others at the time had a problem understanding the situation, or paying by a different form.

As far as my first negative feed back here it is read the follow up from him;

User: oldbaseballcardz(wcmason@uswest.net)( 708) Date: Aug-20-02 12:24:17 PST Item:1847946150
    Complaint: I PAID VIA PAY PAL ON AUG 6 14 DAYS LATER AND STILL NO CARD&NO RESP TO EMAILS
    Follow-up by oldbaseballcardz - PROBLEM WAS WITH PAY PAL NOT THE SELLER. GREAT PERSON TO DEAL WITH

This does not look like what you are saying. Look at the other one from DHcards, then look at the very next message he left. I'm not making excuses as you say. get the facts straight.

I more then anything would love to sit down and talk with you and iron this ongoing dispute out if you as person to person, not as customer service from a company. I am a good person and dealer, with hundreds of collectors, and dealers that will say the same. As a person it bugs me that there is anybody out there that thinks I am trying to play games, or do business unfairly. I will bend over backwards to keep any customer happy, and satisfied. I wish you could understand this.

Dartsix, You seem like an OK person yourself that would have more sense to you then to hold a person down with a grudge without trying to work it out to your own and the other parties full understanding, and satisfaction.

This bickering between each other doesn't do us any good. It take too much energy from us both.
    Think about it for me if you will. I would like to work this out with you, and call a truce. Or I guess you can have your right to your own opinion of me being a Jerk, but I know that I am not, and so do many others.
    I'm in this to talk with other collectors, and make money honestly. If I was half of what you try to portray me as I wouldn't be in business any more.

Lets save our energy and work what ever our misunderstandings, or problems are out. PLEASE

I can send you a copy more them one e-mail from me to you with my apologies to you, but I will offer it again. For any inconvenience or problems I may have caused you, I am from my heart truly sorry.

Thank you again DartSix.

Sincerely,
    Lawrence D. Block
    Block Sportscards, Inc.

800-574-6440

www.BlockSportscards.com
  • Options
    I still don't buy anything this guy says.

Every auction that was allowed to end, the final price was established with at least 16 minutes to 2 days prior.
    I don't think the pulled auctions were near SMR. The one I was following was at about 60%. Dude stated the one he was watching was also well under SMR.

Mr. Block you are being very defensive, with many excuses about problems. Your first sentence of your first post today tells me what I perceive as the truth. "Without pictures, bids would not be what (Mr. Block) thinks they should as I'm sure you all can figure out.
    I can't figure that out, because I've been looking at the scan for 5 days, have the cart. # and know most of the people that have bid on the card. If you had canceled every auction regardless of price, this would be a non issue. I knew exactly what happened with your host for the pictures, It's happened to me. It's happened to many of us.

Did you cancel the 76T # 398 Eck. rook psa 9, no way. That card went off at almost 2x SMR and the winner was locked in for 2 days.
    Did you cancel the 75T #320 Rose 50/50 psa 9, no way SMR of $500.00 Bid of $450.00 was locked in for days. The 7 you let finish all were very close to or over SMR.
    Is this a Pattern? Watch my pattern in the future says Mr. Block. The future Isn't what we're talking about.
    A dealer that will try to pass on their 3% paypal fee to the buyer will end auctions early, if he doesn't like the price his cards are receiving.

This is the 3rd time you have brought attention to yourself in a questionable maner. Maybe you will change your pattern in the future, for now I'll stick with the dealers I've dealt with in the past. BTW Mr. Block, IMO you should stop talking on this forum for awhile, the more you talk the worse your business looks. Sixdart, I personally can't stand you...not very professional, this is an open forum. Sixdart had a 1961 topps psa 9 card on ebay last night. His auction ended 30 minuets after yours, (yours should have). Are we talking about his business practices today? NO. He had a reserve on his card. Hope it sold...

John/jml517

Yes, I'm being defensive. Yes, the first thing I said means just what you think.

I put on ebay the reason for closing the auction as "error in listing" The error was the pictures were not working.....Duh
    No, I'm not going to let my cards go for nothing because of my website host's error with my pictures.
    They may have shown up on your computer because if you know anything about computers you would know that you temporary internet cache has them pictures stored on your computer so web pages will load faster. So if they showed up on your computer it was from your temporary internet cache, not my host.

As I said. This is the first time I have ever ended any auction early. And like I said once again, it will be the only time we ever do, unless something like this happens again.

No, I didn't close the auctions that didn't seem to be effected by our website host's error. Why would we?

As for 3% paypal fee, that issue has been taken care of, and gone over here on the message board.

I stick to our Ebay method of starting everything at $9.99 and no reserve as we always have till this error with our host. You'll see.

NO NO NO NO NO. I will not stop entering messages on here no more then you will, although this is getting tiring explaining to you guys over and over..... I guess all I can do is explain the problem, apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused then let you guys make your own JUDGMENT, as you will without facts even anyway...... I don't see were this problem is so hard to understand.

Thank you for you input John.

Sincerely,
    Lawrence D. Block
    Block Sportscards, Inc.

800-574-6440

www.BlockSportscards.com
  • Options
    No, I'm not going to let my cards go for nothing because my website host's error with my pictures.

How do you know what they would have sold for, you didn't let them finnish. You're admitting you pulled the auctions because of the price. Keep talking Block, your getting close to the truth.

Your website was fine until Saturday. Your host works, I see the scan. Your host goes down I don't see the scan.

Pictures have nothing to do with this entire post. MONEY...MONEY...MONEY is the reason. You were afraid to let someone get a good price for a card you were selling. Admit it and you MAY gain some respect back from this board.

mx'er