Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

MS70 REMOVES CARBON DOODIE FROM LINCOLNS CHIN

Hiya guys

I got a nice lincoln back from Michael yesturday. The most awsome 79 type 2 lincoln wih the deepest cameo ya could ever wish to see. 1 problem...it had a huge carbon doodie spot on lincolns chin. This is a 70dcam coin, i didnt wanna throw it out...so michael sent to ncs...came back NG...they cant remove carbon

well that was a while ago...coin was returned to me, so I was looking at it, and a bottle of ms70 i have. Ta make long short, i threw it in a glass with pure ms70 and let sit for 8 hours...i juts looked...NOT ONE SPOT OF CARBON LEFT, DISAPPEARED...so did a red like tic tac toe patch on the obverse also..mike can verify this stuff was heavily there...NOW GONE, NO EVIDENCE OF ITS EXISTANCE NO BAD CARMA FROM MS70ING COPPER..NO EVIDENCE EXCEPT A KILLER LOCK 70 NO HAIRLINES NOTHING

let see grade when it comes back image

michael will atest to this image)))))

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

Comments

• Options
    ClausUrchClausUrch Posts: 1,278
    Put it away and look at it a few months from now and tell us what you think of the coin.image
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    proof copper..not acid, ms70...didnt even hurt the proof finish..thats what scares me...

but watch..this will come backhighgrade...seriously

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    cool! good luck with the grade and I hope the coin doesn't go sour on ya!
  • Options
    its been 2 days, color remains unchanged...theres no evidence of the big carbon doodie that once ressided on his chin

MS70 REMOVES BIG CRABON DOODIES OFF PROOF COPPER

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Let us know how it grades when it comes back.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, let us know. Also, let us know if the stuff comes back. This flies in the fact of all common wisdom! image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The trouble with playing with copper is that the ugliness may not show up for several months, but it does, you may as well put the coin in a gumball machine.

I’ve seen some breathtaking ugly Proof Indian cents in PCGS and NGC holders with big grades on them like PR-65 or 66, Red. The explanation is that the coins went bad in the holder because they were cleaned, and now somebody has to pay – either the OWNER or the slab company if they will back the piece. imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    I did this only cause in my eyes it was gonna be booked or "gumball machine" because this doodie was huge. Otherwise a 70dcam coin. I am shocked and amazed that the carbon disinagrated. But im telling you ms70 isnt acid based...dont base this on the copper u dipped in acid...no ugly pinkish tonning nada...just pure smooth proof surface.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    I brought this up because of Keets thread on bad dipping-I let this thread die back then cause the ms70 streaked the lincoln
    funny see how excited I was back then LOL image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I really like the before and after pictures.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486

<< <i>I really like the before and after pictures. >>

imageimage
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    Not a carbon spot. Something else that looked like a carbon spot.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    So did it grade?

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never used the stuff, but I have obviously read the multitude of threads on it here. Do you think the streaks are from not thoroughly rinsing it? Or just an inherrent property of the stuff. I wonder what the long term effects of the stuff are on a silver coin?
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    The problem with ms70, esp. full strength, is you have to run a fire hose on it to get the soapy feeling off of the coin, no kidding, went thru 3 gallons of distilled water onceimage---------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> But im telling you ms70 isnt acid based. >>

You are correct. MS70 is not an acid. It's a base with a PH somewhere above 13 -- that's the "soapy" feeling.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Wud the coin grade pontiacinf or did you not submit it?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    When I was reading this I thought to myself...this guy isn't going to be too happy a few months from now and then I got down to the recent post and realized you already figured that out image
  • Options
    up~

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    it streaked the shizzle out of it, if people are still wondering what happened.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file