Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Critical article in Wall Street Journal about 9-11 "death coins"

MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
There is a critical article on page C1 of today's Wall Street Journal about the encapsulated 9-11 so-called "death coins." The heading gives the thrust of the article" "'Sept 11' Coins Carry Hefty Markups and Heavy Baggage." The second sentence also has the same general thrust: "But the price markups being charged and the use of packaging with a 'Sept. 11' theme have some coin experts cringing."

Scott Travers is quoted as saying "It's morbid, disgusting and shocks the sense that any individual or corporation could capitalize on the Sept. 11 tragedy in this horrid way." On the other hand, Mark Renstrom, a salesman of the coins at Preferred Customer Club (as an aside, has anyone heard of this outfit?) says "There may not be a coin that has as much history as these do."

The article says that people in the coin industry said Lee S. Minshull of Lee Minshull Rare Coins Inc. in Palos Verdes, Calif., was behind the purchase of the raw coins from the initial owner, Bank of Nova Scotia. The bank sold the coins for $560,118 and donated the full amount to 20 charities.

The article noted that the coins were slabbed by PCGS and there is a picture of a coin in a PCGS slab. Mike Sherman of PCGS said "A submitter brought the deal and requested the pedigree." He said about 100,000 coins were submitted and the slabbing was discounted because of the large number. Mr. Sherman said "What's the alternative? Bury them in [the] ground or destroy them?"

Mark
Mark

Comments

• Options
    NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
    Mr. Sherman said "What's the alternative? Bury them in [the] ground or destroy?"

The "alternative" would have been to return them to circulation. Why would anyone want to celebrate such a despicable act of terrorism by claiming ownership of such a slab?

Edited to add: How much of their slabbing fee did PCGS contribute to the victims of this act of terrorism, or did they just profit from it?

Just my opinion, Jim
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with NoGvmnt:

The only problem is the coins in question were never circulating coins and were coins sold to collectors in the first place.

NoGvmnt: Perhaps PCGS did profit from the slabbing of those death coins. But PCGS and a few wonderful PCGS board members also facilitated the slabbing of the limited edition special NY State quarters that were sold to PCGS members and ALL the proceeds went to WTC victims!!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Is this really any different than the 1857 gold coins? People died on that ship too.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Oh my God, people selling flags on the street corner, taking advantage of a terrorist act!
    How much of that flag money went to charity? I will never forget 911, I get reminded everytime I look at Miss Liberty in my hand, LIBERTY SURVIVED! WAKE UP PEOPLE!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    Death is profitable -- there's doctors who treat us, lawyers who do probate, the govt. who taxes it. The funeral home, casket makers, the cemetery where we are buried. There's alot of money to be made in the business of death.

I just don't think these coins should have been slabbed. Why didn't the World Trade Center and Port Authority take the steel from the building and market little pieces of it as a memorial, maybe little Twin Towers made from the rubble with a "We Will Not Forget" motto on it. Those would have sold as well. It would just be in bad taste.

I assume those who did profit from the death slabs, probably had no connection to anyone who perished, the buildings themselves or the City of New York. It appears that the deal involved Californians profitting from the despair on New Yorkers.

I grew up in the shadow of these buildings. I visited them and had some contact with people that worked in the Financial District and Wall Street. It's a shame that these coins are in slabs and people pay high value for them.

Why don't we go find some coins from the USS Arizona and start slabbing them?
    And yes, comicdebris, this is different. One is an accident and one is a act of war. Salvage from long sunken ships is reasonable and is an accepted practice. Looting, while a strong term, a grave site is not.

There's a saying -- "Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should."

Just my 2 cents,
    Michael
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    I kind of agree with Scott Travers

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    A submitter brought the deal and requested the pedigree

I have a few deals in mind will they pedigree those too?

What some are missing is the coins are not only associated with death but with an act of terrorism. Very different than dying due to natural causes, acts of nature, etc.

A few years ago Fleer came out with a line of "collectible" cards depicting famous serial murders, rapists, crimminals, etc. After much to do, they quietly stopped.

I feel give the people what they want at the risk of offending the sensibilities of others. I would never buy the coins but would not object for others to do so. It just seems odd to me anyone would want something like that. I know a friend who scavenged a piece of rebar and had it put into lucite for a paperweight. Weird! I have kids pictures in lucite.

I want positive memories not negative ones.
  • Options
    How people deal with the tragedy of 911 is a personal decision. If someone wants to buy a coin that symbolizes something personal to them, than so be it. I personally got on the first plane out of San Jose to Orlando with a t-shirt that said "Try your box cutter on me!" I later flew to NY and walked my 6 year old son to the site to let him know what happened, and had his picture taken with a firefighter who was getting off his shift. To insinuate that people in California do not understand, or feel the pain of the loss is offensive to me as an AMERICAN.
  • Options
    Frattlaw just to elaberate a little more I merely posted a question earlier in this thread. Below is how I really feel about them.

I thought about buying one of the WTC coins ( after all I do have one of the 911 quarters and did take a very active part in them ) just for history's sake and a remembrance of 911.

But all the WTC coins I saw for sale were for profit with very little if any of the money going towards charity. The 911 quarters all money went for charity.

The 1857 coins were beyond going for charity and after almost 150 years were merely considered buried treasure without consideration for the lives lost.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    FrattLaw, they did make coins out of the steel!
  • Options
    This really doesn't make any sense at all to be honest. Why do we collect S.S. Central America coins? Why do we collect coins salvaged from Pearl Harbor? That was an act of war, was it not? Why do some people collect Nazi Germany coins? Which were obviously associated with quite a bit of death. Why do we collect coins at all for that matter? We're holding a bunch of coins that were once held by people who are no longer living. Why do we collect Confederate currency or confederate coins? I do agree that they are a piece of history that will be interesting for our children to share. Things get auctioned off ALL THE TIME that are associated with tragic events. Indeed it's sad that some people profit in such a way so quickly but buy it from someone who guarantees that some of the proceeds will go to a WTC fund. I'd prefer the money not to go the Victim's families, but rather to the fund that is setting up the new building in the WTC's place. The families of the people who died on 9/11 are receiving far more money than our soldiers get or what most other families receive if their family member was simply gunned down by a terrorist. Some of the families are still complaining that there $2,000,000 checks simply aren't enough. Not to mention the fact that the government is handing out larger checks to families of wealthier people that died on 9/11. You mean to tell me that some CEO's life is worth more than someone elses grandchild? Well, that's the way the government views it! If you're going to sell these coins, give the money to someone you KNOW has a family member that died on 9/11. If you give it to charity it will sit in a bank collecting interest for 5 years, making the charity money and then they will FINALLY disburse the funds to the wealthiest individuals first. I don't mean to make this so morbid and put a price on life but it's a simple fact. These families receive far more recognition for the mere fact that their loved one died on 9/11 than if a family member was gunned down. If you have a prominent businessman that just so happens to be an avid coin collector and he dies from an act of terrorism, are you going to just hold his coins because its wrong to profit from his death or are you going to sell them? Everyone profits from death! That's why we have life insurance, savings for our kids, homes, assets, etc.

You don't think salvaging the Titanic is robbing a grave site? You don't think scouring those Civil War battlefields is robbing a grave site? If you go scuba diving in Hawaii and find an old St. Gauden's piece on the ocean floor that may have gotten there from the Pearl Harbor disaster that someone simply held onto, are you going to leave it on the ocean floor or take it? You'll probably take it. Pearl Harbor WAS an act of war, no different than 9/11 but it's suddenly okay to collect those artifacts (while many Pearl Harbor survivors are still alive) but it's not okay to hold onto something from 9/11..hmmm

I can't remember the precise figure but it was well into the hundreds of millions of dollars that the salvagers of the S.S. Central America made off those coins. They are relics of our nation's great history. In my view they belong in the people's hands so the past can live on. What better way to teach a child about the disaster of the Central America than putting an original coin in his hand that was on that ship? I believe we have to look at this with a different attitude. Something left on the ocean floor for eternity cannot be appreciated. It is through us, the people, that the past lives on and we can't do that without any artifacts to share.....
  • Options
    cherrypickincoin, Well said!
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At ANA a couple bought one over to my table to show me that they had bought a WTC coin for there son...they felt it was historic...I explained that I lost 5 good friends on 9/11 and that I would never touch any of them....oh well.....at least this is AMERICA where we all have the right to choose!
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those of us who are physically and emotionally far removed from Manhattan can more easilly be objective. Those who were there and have close emotional ties from having lived or worked in the vicinity don't need to be objective in my opinion and have every right to hold opinions based on emotion rather than logic.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Why do we collect coins salvaged from Pearl Harbor?

I've never heard of this. Is PCGS slabbing Pearl Harbor death coins, too?
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Shiro,

Didn't say PCGS was slabbing them. I didn't know collecting them required them to be slabbed by PCGS. But yes, to answer your question I have seen them for sale, not in PCGS holders though.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm disgusted by the fact that people want and will pay for "death coins", but I don't blame PCGS and coin dealers for giving people what they want.

Similarly, I have no beef with the people who sell those disgusting White Castle hamburgers.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm disgusted by the fact that people want and will pay for "death coins", but I don't blame PCGS and coin dealers for giving people what they want.

Similarly, I have no beef with the people who sell those disgusting White Castle hamburgers. >>

Well said. I guess there are those who'd buy coins recovered from Jeffrey Dahmer's victims if PCGS would slab them. I'd never heard of the Pearl Harbor death coins, but I think they're in bad taste, too. I guess I should go metal detecting next time I go to Hiroshima so I can find melted coins from when people in Kamiya-cho got vaporized.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    People collect nazi germany coins. It is history. What do you have to say about them?
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    ohbaby - tell us about some of your ideas - how about the danglingballs hoard?
  • Options

<< <i>The article noted that the coins were slabbed by PCGS and there is a picture of a coin in a PCGS slab. Mike Sherman of PCGS said "A submitter brought the deal and requested the pedigree." He said about 100,000 coins were submitted and the slabbing was discounted because of the large number. Mr. Sherman said "What's the alternative? Bury them in [the] ground or destroy them?" >>

No Mr. Sherman the alternative is to tell the submitter that you will not profit off this terrible terrorist act and that if he would like to have them holdered by PCGS that he may but you will not place a special pedigree on the label.

It was a tiny amount of money being donated to charity by the seller from the sale of these pedigreed coins. I did not hear of PCGS donating any of their discounted service fee for these coins.

The coins are not popular any more you can find the foreign ones in dealer junk boxes.
  • Options
    Just to clarify (and get back on topic) are we talking about the ASE's from the vault in one of the towers that were all over ebay several months back or are we talking random coins salvaged from the rubble?
    Just My 2 Cents,
    Big Mike <><

Let your roots grow down into him and draw up nourishment from him, so you will grow in faith, strong and vigorous in the truth you were taught. Let your lives overflow with thanksgiving for all that he has done. --Colossians 2:7
  • Options

<< <i>Just to clarify (and get back on topic) are we talking about the ASE's from the vault in one of the towers that were all over ebay several months back or are we talking random coins salvaged from the rubble? >>

They are the ASE's as well as the gold eagles and foreign silver and gold coins and other bullion based coins. These were not coins from the rubble and in fact these coins weren't even that close to the actual twin towers.
  • Options
    I have one of those "death coins", an proud of it, it was GIVEN to me by the widow of a captain from Rescue One, he lost his life on 09/11/01. He also happened to be the best man at my wedding, we had known each other for 35 years. I dont know where this coin came from I didnt ask. This coin will never be sold. It will be thrown into NY harbor the day after I pass on.

Bigern image
  • Options

<< <i>ohbaby - tell us about some of your ideas - how about the danglingballs hoard? >>

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    Just My 2 Cents,
    Big Mike <><

Let your roots grow down into him and draw up nourishment from him, so you will grow in faith, strong and vigorous in the truth you were taught. Let your lives overflow with thanksgiving for all that he has done. --Colossians 2:7
  • Options

<< <i>People collect nazi germany coins. It is history. What do you have to say about them? >>

I don't see a problem with buying coins issued by the Nazis, Stalin's regime, or any other nasty people. I would not buy a coin just because it was found in an Auschwitz oven, though.

The only thing that puts a premium on these coins is where they were found, not who issued them. If no one knew where they came from, they would be as any other coins. The fascination over thousands getting killed in the WTC attack is the only thing giving these coins a premium. How sick.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    There is a premium on the S.S. Central America coins and they are in slabs. Are you against those?
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a premium on the S.S. Central America coins and they are in slabs. Are you against those?

Probably not a fair analogy. The SSCA premium derives from the coins' tie to the gold rush and to the excitement of rediscovery, less to the disaster in which the coins were lost.

On the other hand, coins recovered from the wreck of the Titanic or the ruins of Pompei would undoubtedly sell at substantial disaster premiums. Maybe disaster premiums aren't that sick after all?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    That's my point MrEureka. I think it is just because 9/11 happened only two years ago, it is still fresh in everyone's mind and therefore is somehow unethical to collect anything from that tragic day. There are many, MANY days in our nation's history that have artifacts that have been collected and traded at enormous profit.
  • Options
    ClausUrchClausUrch Posts: 1,278

<< <i> don't see a problem with buying coins issued by the Nazis, Stalin's regime, or any other nasty people. I would not buy a coin just because it was found in an Auschwitz oven, though. >>

Bravo!
  • Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    I say let people remember the event however they want to.

If that's having a coin slab that says "9/11", fine.

-Khayse
  • Options
    NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
    Brian, not one of your statements is relevant to the true issue. None of the issues, ie: The Central America coins, The Titanic recovery articles, nor The nazi era issued coins has any relevance to this issue, which is A MASS OF AMERICAN AND FOREIGN CITIZENS WERE MURDERED AT THE LOCATION WHERE THESE COINS WERE RECOVERED, they are now forever tainted!

Taking your position into consideration, should we slab coins that were taken from dead Iraqui soldiers and sell them as victory coins? Should we slab coins taken from the bodies of all murder victims and sell them as momentos? I bet the friends and family members of those victims would just be thrilled to be revictimized every time they see or hear of one of those coins being sold/resold.

I'm not from the New Your area and I have no direct connection to those souls that perished because of those dispicable acts, but I'll tell you this, I would never purchase one of those socalled "death coins", EVER, and come to think about it, I don't think I would ever again patronize any dealer that would sell/profit from such a "piece of history".

Jim

In my opinion, the only correct action would have been to melt them all down and remix them with virgin metal for reprocessing.
  • Options
    NoGvmnt,

That was actually very well said and I will step down from commenting about other historical coins. I do, however, feel that if someone wants to own one, they may and should be able to do so. I think it's more about remembering the event and being able to share it with someone down the road than anything. If it's used for devious purposes then I do agree with you. These coins were not taken from someone's body, they were taken out of a vault that was there far before the tragedy ever happened. Indeed they are selling now because of the event but it is far different than these analogies of taking coins from Jeffrey Dahmer's victims, it simply is not the same thing.

-Brian
  • Options

<< <i> I think it's more about remembering the event and being able to share it with someone down the road than anything >>

Buy a book about 9/11 then.

Michael
  • Options
    FrattLaw,

So you have no problem with an author profiting off 9/11 by writing a book but you do have a problem with a company selling coins that were salvaged from a vault within the WTC? Or would this only be wrong if the Author used paper that was salvaged from the site? A book collector can buy a book on 9/11, a coin collector can buy a coin. What's so terribly wrong with it? The '33 Double Eagle was held in the WTC for a time, should that coin be off limits because it was on sacred ground? Or is that one okay simply because it wasn't there the day the towers fell? Would the '33 Double Eagle be considered off limits to you if it actually did remain in the WTC the day it fell? Or is there going to be another rhetorical statement saying that the '33 Double Eagle is already legitimately rare and the tragedy has nothing to do with the value of the coin. Okay then, fine by me. But how is a company to blame if they list one of these Silver coins from the site on eBay and someone wants to bid up $200 on it? Is the company going to say no, we only want $20 for it? If you say the company shouldn't be selling it to begin with, then should the Double Eagle be sold if it was there the day the events happened? Just questions, no matter how trivial they may be. image
  • Options
    Would the '33 Double Eagle be considered off limits to you if it actually did remain in the WTC the day it fell? Or is there going to be another rhetorical statement saying that the '33 Double Eagle is already legitimately rare and the tragedy has nothing to do with the value of the coin. Okay then, fine by me. But how is a company to blame if they list one of these Silver coins from the site on eBay and someone wants to bid up $200 on it? Is the company going to say no, we only want $20 for it? If you say the company shouldn't be selling it to begin with, then should the Double Eagle be sold if it was there the day the events happened? Just questions, no matter how trivial they may be.

It would be quite a different matter if the 1933 double eagle were a common 1904 and sold at a huge premium as a death coin. Its value has nothing to do with the WTC attack, and no one is marketing it as a WTC memento.

I don't care if all the coins in vaults below the WTC are sold-- I simply object to them being sold at a premium because of the attack on the WTC. Why not just put them in ordinary slabs or sell them raw?
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>The nazi era issued coins has any relevance to this issue, which is A MASS OF AMERICAN AND FOREIGN CITIZENS WERE MURDERED AT THE LOCATION WHERE THESE COINS WERE RECOVERED, they are now forever tainted! >>

What about the coins I have from the Lodz getto in Poland or the paper currency I have that was used in the deathcamps?
  • Options
    Brian --- I give up, you just don't get it. You try to make points that are way off base. If it makes you feel better to hold a PCGS Death Slab in your grubby little hands and tell you kids someday that this here silver coin was in the WTC when all those people died, so be it.

That's what's great about America -- capitalism and freedom of choice. Hey while you're at it, pick up some of those John Wayne Gacy drawings as well.

Michael
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Michael, he gets it. He just happens to be master koolaid drinker extrodinaire. image I doubt there is much that PCGS would do that he wouldn't passionately defend and the rest of us get this, so relax.
  • Options
    I don't see a valid arguement in comparing the Central America to the WTC. One was destroyed by a force of nature, the
    other was a mass murder. When people go to sea they understand there are risks, when you go to work you don't generally
    consider that someone may fly a plane into your building. I have no Death Coins and would never own one, but to each
    their own.
    Scott M

Everything is linear if plotted log-log with a fat magic marker
  • Options
    To enshrine the 9/11 tragedy through the issuance of gold coins stored in the WTC that survived the 9/11 ordeal, when human beings in the WTC did NOT survive, is an affront to the memory of the golden souls who lost their lives on that day and in that building. matteproof
    Remember Lots Wife
  • Options
    I guess many want a keepsake for the tragedy, to each his own.

As for those who feel the need to show "support" I just don't get it. If you really wanted to help why not just donate cash or if you have no money donate blood?
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still think they are in bad taste....whats next.....concrete nuggets from the rubble at wtc in slabs....or lets see Im sure on QVC we can have coins from the oklahoma city bombing since two Bank of Oklahoma were damaged and I am sure coins were recovered from these banks..... How about recovered coins from Flight 800....Folks I wont fold on this one....the coins suck, and the people selling them suck....
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    How about coins found in JFK's pocket, complete with blood stains?
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    To compare coins from a vault, rightfully sold by their owner, to blood stained coins taken from a murdered corpses is at least as unfair a comparison as WTC to SSCA and does a disservice to your argument, IMO.

As an aside, I think a discussion of these coins is slightly less likely to change anyone's mind than a discussion of religion or abortion.

BC
    Dip Happens...image
  • Options
    To compare coins from a vault, rightfully sold by their owner, to blood stained coins taken from a murdered corpses is at least as unfair a comparison as WTC to SSCA and does a disservice to your argument, IMO.

Nobody said the owners can't sell them. The point is that they shouldn't promote their connection to the murder of thousands of Americans to charge a premium.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    In my other collecting pastime, areophilatelic covers (flown mail), there is a whole subspecialty for "Crash Covers," mail that was carried in planes that crashed. It often has burns around the edges. Hindenberg zeppelin crash covers are an example. Also, Lindberg crashed some four different mail planes while a mail pilot before becoming famous-- crash covers from those flights are pretty impressive.
    DSW
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm grateful we live in a Country that allows the sale of these items, as distasteful as some may find them to be.
    To "outlaw" them would take away from the postive memory of those who have passed to defend our liberties and freedoms.

Let the free marketplace prevail. If enough people/collectors agree with the overall attitude of the contributors of this Thread the premium for these 911 coins will plummet and crash.

peacockcoins

• Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭
    Here is an item that may be of note to some. Steel from the WTC is being recycled for use in constructing LPD 21, the Navy's newest class of amphibious ship. The ship will be named USS New York (LPD 21).

Article can be found at:

http://www.northgrum.com/docs/newyorknaming.html
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file