there was an SMS set in 1964?

Lot: 895
Sale: 327 SMS Jefferson Nickels
1964 5C SMS MS67 PCGS.

heritage.com

Comments

• Options
    richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    Yeppers. Here is a link to an earlier thread with some info about the coins:

Linky
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm imagining things, but for coins with such a low mintage (allegedly 10-20), they seem to be on the market all the time.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    They weren't special mint sets (IMO) but the terminology stuck. Rumor is that when ANACS slabbed the first coin the owner asked they be called SMS coins to avoid the possibility of government interference (seizure). My best guess is that the coins were presentation pieces. Although the population commonly bantered around is 12 sets, I have found nothing that confirms that number, but with the help of the NARA archivists I have identified the box and warehouse containing the mint directors journal from 1964. I hope to be able to inspect the journal soon. The guys across the street have been very helpful, and if you have any interest here is a link to their observations. Anyone interested in chasing down mint records should really enjoy reading Chris's post of the E-sylum article about how many of the early mint records were destroyed by former mint director Stella Hackel-Sims. Several of the names referenced in the thread should be familiar to many here.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    I examined a number of these 1964 coins while still a grader at NGC and have seen some additional pieces since that time. I believe that a more appropriate/correct name for them would be "experimental pieces". They were probably a precursor to the SMS coins.

If my recollection is correct, some of them first appeared with comment, in Stack's sales, several (or more) years ago. While I have seen very low estimates as to the numbers struck, I have yet to see anything that officially confirms those small numbers. Unless and until that occurs, I will presume that no one really knows how many were made.
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭
    TTT for those that might be interested.

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Not officially. There were trial ones produced using the 1964 dies in anticipation of making the 1965 (and 66, 67) sets. I have the cent and the quarter and want to get the rest to complete my full 1964-67 SMS set. I do dabble in moderns a little bit. And yes, they first were noted at a Stack's sale, as noted in a Heritage or Bowers and Merena lot description not too long ago. They exist in some grey area between circulation strikes and patterns.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    Dear Psxchelly,

If you are looking for a 1964 SMS, there is one listed on eBay now: Item number: 8372401681. It has a buy it now price of $125k on it, (a little to rich for me). Coins are graded by PCGS MS 68 with the half being graded MS 69. A nice looking set, but exspensive.

Tim
  • Options
    ...........Learn something new everyday..................image
  • Options
    HootHoot Posts: 867
    I have one of these nickels. It's identical, insofar as I can tell, to what I would deem the "early" SMS pieces of 1965. I have no proof of this except my own eyes, but what is evident is that a number of 1965 SMS nickels were struck with very similar surface characteristics to the 1964 SMS piece that I have. As 1965 wore on, the process of producing the SMS coins improved and the finishes on the coins became more brilliant. By the end of the year (I will suggest), the process for production of SMS pieces had improved to the point that late 1965 SMS production pieces resemble more the 1966 SMS pieces, and not those of 1964.

I have a 1965 SMS nickel that resembles my 1964 SMS very closely. I believe that if a person wished to work diligently and long on this puzzle, the pieces could be put in place over time.

Hoot
    From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines. - Whitman

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file