SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭✭
If so, for what price?

Seth
Collecting since 1976.

Comments

• Options
    $1,050,000.00 plus juice.

• Options
    $1,050,000.00 Final Hammer. Very weak bidding.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    $1,050,000.00 hammer
    $1,207,500.00 (includes 15% buyer's premium)

Link
  • Options
    Not bad since Mr. Kagin paid less than a million for it.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    $157,500.00 buyers fee image
  • Options
    If I had $1,000,000 I wouldnt spend it on one of those, I'm talking complete gold type set incuding california gold and a set of indian heads. I would rather have that nice 1795 flowing hair dollar in 64 over that coin.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The facination with the 1804 dollar, especially the type III, seems to be fading. It's a coin that I have never had much interest in. Given the reported "hotness" of the market the realization was probably a disappointment. Does anyone know who bought it?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    I'm sure we'll find out who acquired it pretty soon as they took a break so he could give an interview and so everyone could congratulate him. I believe the 1804 Dollar is an interesting part of American history and we all must remember that it sold for well over $200,000.00 more than Donald Kagin originally paid for it and it has only been two years. That is, of course, not including the Buyers' Premium. I don't think the price on these is going to go down, despite what I think of the coin.

I think it's a wonderful part of american history but it is certainly not as rare as it is made out to be. I'd much rather see the bidding get that high on a truly unique piece like the 1870-S Half Dime. It is merely the history of this coin that makes it so coveted and desirable.

However, when you think about it, there are Picasso's and Monet's that go for ten times this amount when they hit the auction block. It is very possible to put together an entire set of United States coinage, if you can find the pieces, for less than $100 million. That would be very feasible for Buffet or Gates, Ellison, etc. I still think our hobby has a lot of maturing to do. This is only the beginning...
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Given the reported "hotness" of the market the realization was probably a disappointment. >>

Considering the nature of other investments over the last two years, I don't think a 25% return can be considered a "disappointment".

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>Considering the nature of other investments over the last two years, I don't think a 25% return can be considered a "disappointment".

Russ, NCNE >>

The return will be 25% only if there was no consignment fee.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The return will be 25% only if there was no consignment fee. >>

If there is a consignment fee, it will be 5% or less. The coin sold for $1,050,000. Since 5% is $50,000, it's still a 25% return on the $800,000 he paid for the coin.

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file