Home U.S. Coin Forum

Mail Order Gamble

I've learned my lesson ordering raw coins through the mail. What was advertised as BU and
looked great ,graded out as AU. I've just ordered my first graded coin through the mail.
David Lawrence Rare Coins was in Coin World and his website seems professional and
secure. Anyone had any experience with this company ?
By the way, I ordered an 1884-cc PCGS MS-65 for $335. Thanks, Skipper

Comments

• laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I've heard your complaint from several (well, many!) board members, so I've stayed away from the full page advertisers. I haven't had any experience with David Lawrence but you're right, he does look professional and not super hypey. Good luck with your new coin-sounds great!image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Don't worry about Davis Lawrence Rare Coins they are a class act all the way.
  • David Lawrence Coins is an excellent place to purchase coins. I have purchased many times and have never had a problem!!image
  • I've bought from David Lawrence once and they were top notch. I like their number and star system for describing the coin, it's always been very accurate in my case (as I prefer untoned or lightly toned coins) image
    Dan

My quarters:
    Silver
    Clad
    Statehood
  • thanks for the reassurance. My anxiety level just dropped a notch !
  • khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    Never bought a raw coin from DL but all the slabbed ones were nice, no problems.

You should be fine. Let us know how it turns out.

-KHayse
  • remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    Hi Skipper,

I've bought several PCGS slabbed Mercury Dimes from David Lawrence and have been delighted with every one. I usually call them and have someone describe the coin to me while they are holding it in their hand. They have always been very helpfull and a little conservative in their descriptions. They ship pretty quick too! I give them a hearty A+.

Regards,

Wayne

Edited to correct spelling.
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DLRC is wonderful
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • I bought two NGC graded morgans from DLRC. They arrived promptly, and from what I saw their star scale is pretty accurate. I'll probably buy from them again.
    Looking for info on MN national banknotes from New Ulm, Sleepy Eye, Mankato, Hanska, and Lake Crystal. Also Two Harbors, Duluth, Brainerd, and Ely.
  • RBB617RBB617 Posts: 497 ✭✭
    I've bought some coins from DLRC and have always been satisfied.
    Brian
  • bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭
    I've ordered a few from them, always nicer than their pictures,particularly their 5 star pieces.
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I bought several PCGS coins from DLRC. Good service, nice coins.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    It is also an excellent buyer and pays strong prices.
  • 09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    Only bought once. A 1915D PCGS MS64RB Lincoln. Very nice coin, with a shot at an upgrade. I will never buy a raw coin through the mail unless they gaurentee it will certify the the grade sold or better. There is only one company that offers this. If anyone is interested in who they are(one of their dealers is a member here) you can PM me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file