Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The bad thing about buying coins....

...is that I eventually run out of my "play money" and end up having to sell some coins so that I can buy some more....but then I have to sell a few more...etc,etc.

It seems the cycle is unending.

The only good part is that I always find a few "keepers" that I just CAN'T sell...unless someone makes me an unbelieveable offer.

Am I alone or is this common - the buy/sell cycle?

Comments

• Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Make more "play money".
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    my3cents: It's ALL play money! As Jim Morrison said: "Nobody gets out of here alive." None of it is going with you.
    DSW
  • Options
    BustmanBustman Posts: 1,911
    my3cents,
    I feel your pain. I was just thinking that very same thing while walking the floor in Baltimore yesterday!

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Yep, I'm thinking about selling all my Accented Hair Kennedys so I can afford to buy some Accented Hair Kennedys.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    Selling coins to buy coins leads to dealing. And you all know what can come of that.
    DSW
  • Options
    RBB617RBB617 Posts: 497 ✭✭
    I just resurrected my collection 9 - 10 months ago after a 20 year sabbatical, but I too find myself running out of play money very quickly. I haven't sold any coins, but I have a feeling that I will as my collection grows and I try to upgrade some pieces.
    Brian
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Russ will never admit it, but he now owns 68% of all accented hair Kennedies

ever minted. He had to buy a second house just to store them.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Russ why don't you just sell the remainder of the proof sets minus the Ac' Ken.s and you probably would have lots of money to buy more Accented Hair Kennedy's, after all don't you own 80% of them anyway. image

Dave
    Love those toned Washingtons
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    All the time. I recently go rid of all my moderns and bought more "stuff."
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I have heard of this "selling" thing. Someone once started explaining to me how it worked, and he started out with "you give your coin to someone" and after that I stopped listening.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    mepotmepot Posts: 585 ✭✭✭
    what good is money if you don't spend it?image
    computer illiterate,becoming coin literate with the help of this forum.
  • Options
    decide what direction you would like to see your collection take, dump previous impulse purchases, do not buy on impulse, save money for the most expensive coin you can see yourself buying, hold out till the "one" comes along and start the whole process over again

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file