Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Was this site down this AM? Again?

Seemed to be non-reponsive. I was able to access of the net sites so its not me.

Dan
I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!

Comments

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it was....I was able to get on the main page once.....and no further, and then couldn't get the main page....
    imageimage

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Yep, it was dead.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Yes it was down this morning.
  • Options
    Yeeeesimage

• Options
    meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    So while stricter controls have been issued by the management, they still cannot control the web server reliability. Anyone know what the platform is for this server?

Dan

I got a wheat penny in change at lunch

• Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    Who suffered withdrawal when it was down (other than me)? The other side's board had some info on this one being down. Hmmm.
    DSW
  • Options

<< <i>So while stricter controls have been issued by the management, they still cannot control the web server reliability. Anyone know what the platform is for this server? >>

It's Windows NT, but it had nothing to do with the server the site is on. DNS service was down.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    DNS on NT was crap. I wonder if they are any BIND servers upstream for them. So they are on IIS 4.0 I see an upgrade to 6.0 in thier future!

David, call me if you need assistance.

Dan Watson,

IIS developer Support, Microsoft Corporation

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    According to PCGS, DNS at network solutions went down! Ouch!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    If DNS at NS went down a large point of DNS resolvers went off line. I clipped this off of NS site:

Features:
    100% uptime: A robust service level agreement on DNS resolution from multiple server locations.

Flexibility: Primary or Secondary DNS management; you choose what fits your needs.

Control: You have complete control over your DNS information with an easy to use and secure web interface

24 x 7 support: Phone and e-mail support from VeriSign's team of DNS experts. More Features

If you are like most medium to large companies your online operations account for a significant percentage of revenue. You cannot afford for your website or email to be down. DNS is critical to making sure your web site is available to your customers and your email works.

The fact that they have multiple servers that are geographically spread means someone at PCGS does not understand DNS. Its almost unheard of for a top level DNS resolver to collapse in on its self. I think the last time it happened was 1994.

I love those SAEs. I am looking for a reasonable priced 55 franklin in OK shape.

Dan

• Options
    PCGS may indeed be a little confused. NSLookup shows their DNS provider to be dnsmanaged.com. Unless that provider is part of NS?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Very well could be cause the the provider is supposed to be NS but that is actually a sub co of Verisign!

So aint that nice.

I like trimes too!

Dan

• Options
    Do you guys speak English?! image
  • Options
    ohbaby,

I imagine that is a little confusing. DNS stands for "Domain Name Server". As humans, we talk in words, but computers talk in numbers. Each domain name is assigned a numerical IP address. The DNS servers translate the web address, or "name" that you type in to a browser in to that IP address. They also serve as the storehouse of what is where and who is who.

When the DNS service is down for a web site, for all practical purposes, it is gone from cyberspace.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I speak english! And computeriese too!

• Options
    Seemed to be having diffuculties this morning also...

Dan

• Options
    somethings going on on the net as a whole. Even Yahoo was down for a while last night among a few others. I imagine we'll see a news story in a few days....
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭

<< <i>DNS on NT was crap. I wonder if they are any BIND servers upstream for them. So they are on IIS 4.0 I see an upgrade to 6.0 in thier future!

David, call me if you need assistance.

Dan Watson,

IIS developer Support, Microsoft Corporation >>

Hey Dan! Maybe I can bum some info from you once in a while.

Neil, Microsoft .NET developer image
  • Options
    Neil, Fire away... I will supply as much of my feable mind as I can. I do know that there is a new IIS scan tool that is being used to probe IIS systems and determine thier vulnerability level. MS has come out and said that MS0-026 needs to be install to prevent a B. O. vulnerability. If you do your not at risk. But if you don't you could be subseptable to exploits that seem to be increasing over the past week.

I am looking for a reasonable 55 Franklin....

Dan

• Options

Hey All,

I'm very much in the know as to what happened (let's just say I've got an internal source - me!). dnsmanaged.com is Network Solutions' managed DNS service and yes, they did have a serious outage that caused some downtime for us (as well as 30,000 other sites!).

And yes, I'm aware of the 100% DNS resolution guarantee that Network Solutions promotes on their website... Believe me, I had some nice conversations with the NetSol folks this morning.

So it's not "crap" DNS on NT, nor poor management controls on the website (we've got all sorts of clustering and load-balancing), it was just one of those things somewhat out of our control. What was worst is that NetSol's DNS servers weren't 100% down, so our secondary servers couldn't kick in, we were stuck waiting for them to get the problem fixed.

I'm sure some of you noticed eBay's problems a few days ago... it happens to the best of us!

-david

P.S. if anyone ever has these types of questions or concerns, please feel free to send me a message.
  • Options
    David_R,

Thanks for the information.

David
    David

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file