Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Sister Rose Harrington...... gone.....

Sister Rose Harrington, who founded Bread & Roses Cafe for the homeless in Venice after her retirement from a ground-breaking career teaching theology, has died. She was 83.

Harrington died July 7 of cancer at the home of her order, St. Joseph of Carondelet, in Brentwood.

Born in Buffalo, N.Y., but raised in Southern California, Harrington joined the order on March 19, 1938. Harrington earned a bachelor's degree at Mount St. Mary's College, and in the 1950s became the first woman to earn a master's degree in theology at the primarily male University of Notre Dame. Her program included a rare year of study in Rome at Regina Mundi.

After serving for several years as mistress of postulants — training new members of the St. Joseph order — Harrington taught theology at Mount St. Mary's College for 18 years. She became the first nun to chair the school's theology department, previously run by priests.

Harrington also worked with St. Joseph Center in Venice, a nonprofit, nonsectarian organization that offers the homeless showers, laundry facilities, job training and postal addresses.

In 1989, when she was 70 and newly retired from teaching, Harrington decided to go a step further with the center's program of preparing sandwiches for the hungry. She envisioned a cafe with sit-down meals served at tables with flowers and pink linens, and classical music playing in the background.

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Did she collect coins?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I'm sure she did or else this would be in the open forum. And we all know freaky would make sure if it wasnt coin related that he would not put it in a coin forum.
  • Options

<< <i>Did she collect coins?

Russ, NCNE >>

Maybe. She might have also collected Rockabilly albums.
  • Options
    ... image
  • Options

<< <i>I'm sure she did or else this would be in the open forum. And we all know freaky would make sure if it wasnt coin related that he would not put it in a coin forum. >>

• Options

<< <i>... image >>

I thought we could announce obituaries in this forum? image

Sister Rose Harrington was a great humanitarian. If we can announce the death of music talent scouts then we can sure announce the death of a woman who gave her life helping others.
  • Options
    Two wrongs make a right?

What would Sister Rose say?

Mike

• Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    I'm with ya FCF. Amen and God bless her.

We spend a great deal of time here praising people who've spent their lives making themselves rich - and ignoring those who spent their lives enriching other people's lives.

1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    How come nobody complained yesterday when there was a post announcing Bob Hope's death or complained in the Sam Phillips thread? Come on, guys... let's have a bit of tolerance.
    Just My 2 Cents,
    Big Mike <><

Let your roots grow down into him and draw up nourishment from him, so you will grow in faith, strong and vigorous in the truth you were taught. Let your lives overflow with thanksgiving for all that he has done. --Colossians 2:7
  • Options

<< <i>How come nobody complained yesterday when there was a post announcing Bob Hope's death or complained in the Sam Phillips thread? Come on, guys... let's have a bit of tolerance. >>

It comes down to one word - class - some have it and some don't.
  • Options
    Please don't confuse freakycoinfreak for me. He is using the same pic and sig line as me.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>How come nobody complained yesterday when there was a post announcing Bob Hope's death or complained in the Sam Phillips thread? Come on, guys... let's have a bit of tolerance. >>

It comes down to one word - class - some have it and some don't. >>

Are you saying that Bob Hope, Sam Phillips, or Sister Rose Harrington didn't have class?

If its OK to post obits on people not related to coins then no one should complain when every one does it.
  • Options

<< <i>Please don't confuse freakycoinfreak for me. He is using the same pic and sig line as me.

Cameron Kiefer >>

I want my new title to be:
    bigindie
    I Didn't use Cameron's Icon Pic.
    Just My 2 Cents,
    Big Mike <><

Let your roots grow down into him and draw up nourishment from him, so you will grow in faith, strong and vigorous in the truth you were taught. Let your lives overflow with thanksgiving for all that he has done. --Colossians 2:7
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

It comes down to one word - class - some have it and some don't. >>

Are you saying that Bob Hope, Sam Phillips, or Sister Rose Harrington didn't have class?

If its OK to post obits on people not related to coins then no one should complain when every one does it. >>

I don't mind an OT post or two. If I don't want to read it, I skip it. That's what they call the freedom of choice. Yours I chose to read and I'm glad I did.
    Just My 2 Cents,
    Big Mike <><

• Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    I have the feeling that it is indeed a matter of class - a higher level class for the "bigger" names on this forum. For example, there was a post about Sam Phillips, another post showing a car driven into a boat. Neither of those threads had people complaining about OT. But when someone with a little "lower" class (or clout) posts something OT, the cops come out.

Nothing against the originally posters of those messages, or the cops. But wanted to point out to all in this forum the perceived difference, and two-faced, "rules" that we preach. I for one, do not mind a little OT, as I can always ignore it. But please practice what you preach. It is interesting to see certain OT threads accepted, but other OT threads are told to take it to the open forum, and compare it against the authors of the OT threads.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe. She might have also collected Rockabilly albums. >>

Gasp! The poor dear.....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options

<< <i>Are you saying that Bob Hope, Sam Phillips, or Sister Rose Harrington didn't have class? >>

For those who flunked remedial reading I'll draw a picture - I was referring to the posters involved, not the personalities!
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    I don't see how FCF's first post lacks class personally.

1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file