Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NEED SOME HELP ON A ?? MORGAN PEOPLE

In the coin world treands price book I have a 1900 o morgane what does the grade ms63D OR 64D AND sO on mean

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I never used that book but I will guess it means deep mirrors or a pcgs dmpl coin.
  • Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    Deep Mirror Proof Like.
  • Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    oops,already answered.image
  • Options
    The D stands for Deep Mirrors Proof Like. It basically means that the fields are very reflective, you can read news print in them from an inch or so, and the devices are frosty and not as reflective.

From what I read here on the boards, and from my dealers, it is hard to find such a coin in most dates, some are more common though. Anyone else?

Chris
    Calling all Morgans!!!
    My Ebay Items
  • Options
    THANK YOU
    I thought that would only be on the proofs but I guess they put them on the ms coins as well
    Thanks again
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    flying56eagle

Prooflike and Deep Mirror Prooflike are designations exclusive to business strike Morgan dollars. As described, a great many dates (if not all) are represented with this designation, resulting from the polishing/frosting and maintenance of the dies during the first/earliest strikes imparting this contrasted appearance, similar to that of proofs. (The prooflike designation is being employed to other denominations, but DMPL/DPL is still Morgan dollar exclusive).
    Gilbert
  • Options
    Cool
    learn somthing new every day.. I'v been doing this geg now for 6+ years ands never knew that.
    Plus I don't spend much time on morgans..
    Thanks for the leason, and look forward to learning more.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file