Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Got my book today

I came home to find the PCGS guide to grading and counterfeit detection had arrived. A very dense and weighty
tome. I can see many hours ahead for me as I wade through it and keep refeering back. I'd been looking for
this for quite some time. I am a happy camper.image
Scott M

Everything is linear if plotted log-log with a fat magic marker

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like fun--when it's convenient would you look under 1893-S Morgan for the diagnostic for authentication and post it? Thanks!
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    It is a good book for sure. And it's very helpful to get ideas on how to grade and what to look for. A better counterfeit detection guide, though, is the ANA video on counterfeit detection. Much more comprehensive and video of the various coins instead of a few pics and descriptions. Still, I have the PCGS grading book and recommend it to everyone.
  • Options
    callawayc7callawayc7 Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    Anybody know where I can get that book for less than $29.95? It doesn't have to be new. Thanks.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    It's worth every penny of the $29.95. I can't say that for a lot of books, but this is one book you can't afford to NOT have. I have the first edition of the book and it's awesome!
  • Options
    OK! All you guys with the book--does anyone have the information regarding the diagnostics for authenticating an 1893-S Morgan?? I am positive it has something to do with a break in one of the letters in Liberty--but my old brain can't remember. Help!
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    Here's the info you requested billboat. Not verbatim.

-A die chip is noticeable in the foot of the R of LIBERTY, known as the "rabbit ear." This raised die chip is found only on genuine 1893-S Dollars.

-The T of LIBERTY has a raised diagonal die line through the top of the letter.

-The 1 in the date is centered on the dentil below. Date also slopes up slightly as it progresses.

You can also look for die lines, die polish, etc.

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    One point of note is on page (C-21), the rainbow Buffalo nickel pictured was later determined
    to be artifically toned.
    Not sure if that photo will be taken out of in future re-editions of the book.

• Options
    Here is the artificially toned Buffalo Nickel mentioned by Cam40. Just for the purpose of education, not to blast anyone.

• Options
    Where can I get a copy???? image
  • Options
    I just kept my eyes open on ebay and got lucky. Final price with shipping was $14.00 as I recall.
    Scott M

Everything is linear if plotted log-log with a fat magic marker
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    I've read and reread mine till the binding is giving up, and it is a great reference. BTW - A/T or not, that's an absolutely stunning Buffalo.image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file