Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

WTB - don't laugh - 1856 F.E. cent in AG or G

If anyone knows of anyone selling one of these, please let me know or feel free to PM me.

Comments

• LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey... you wanna buy a coin that's more $$$ that the highest priced single coin I've ever bought. I'm not gonna laugh.

Good luck finding one. I've seen a few availible, but they're not too common. I see a lot more in 60+ than circulated.

Happy hunting,
    David
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Good Luck. Most are VF and above.
    I did see a VG on ebay a while back but it was in an NTC slab. I think the seller wanted 6K or so! YIKES!
  • Okie dokie -so I'll need to devote a tiny bit more cash to this venture...

Anyone have any clues to any for sale??? There's one in MS63 on E-bay at $17,500 - a little too rich for me.
  • haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    Yeah, I bet that pcgs ms63 on ebay right now is a scam! It's too bad the info on proof vs mint state is so new, because many of these in anacs and pcgs holders (including mine) say MS something when they are really proofs (snow 9 die variety). That one on ebay probably is a snow-9 and worth 11-13K, NOT 17.5K. Someone could get really ripped off. Always check, if it has a centering dot below upper left serif of the N in cent, it is most likely a snow-9, which is a proof restrike made in approx 1860. If there is no dot it is likely a snow-3, which were patterns but made like MS coins in late 1856 or early 1857 and these are the ones passed out at congress, or at a fair at the mint, etc... The other snow varieties may or may not have the dot but are all extremely rare (i.e. some may be unique or something).

I think I heard Heritage mislabeled some of the Snow numbers on their 1856 FE cents in Baltimore, and it looks like one pcgs ms64 (really snow 9) didn't make reserve at 24K or something, which is ridiculous for its a proof and a 13-17K coin. It seems they were also trying to dupe someone into paying way too much! I'm so sick of this type of scam, and also people on ebay quoting ridiculously high and incorrect CU or Trends Prices (like say the 08-s indian for sale right now), and of course the usual counterfeit's (like the 55 double die for sale right now) and acg/ntc/pci scams. It's so sad that this happens so much.

Anyway, I think I've seen a few Anacs VF net VG, or Vg net G 1856 FE for sale in the 4-6K range on ebay in the past year. Other than that I've seen 1 XF and 1 Au55 (the one I bought!) and then there's always lots of Pf62 or higher. I don't think I've ever seen a problem free one under XF. Anyway, good luck!
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I saw a few PCGS lower graded ones a few years back when I was looking hard for one. Most were F12 or so that I ran across and every one of them should have been bodybagged! I saw a couple with nasty corrosion and one with rim dings all around it. One that I was offered was graded a F15 and it was no better than VG IMO! TOUGH TOUGH coin to find problem free in lower grades!
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭✭
    To The Top.
  • bumpty bump image