Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poll: Paying for PCGS invoices

LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
I'm not sure how many people use the credit card on thier PCGS invoices. I assume it's fairly common. My question is, "Do you think PCGS should wait until they have graded the coins to charge your credit card?"

Comments

• Options
    I vote that they should charge it in the beginning. The reason for that is because it's still fresh in your mind and you won't get some unexpected charge three months down the road. Also, if PCGS performs a service for you and then charges your credit card and finds out your credit card is declined, then they are out the money. Unless of course they kept your coins until you paid up. What would happen to the people that paid by personal check? Some checks expire after 90 days of not cashing them and the same problem is there as above, there is a chance they may not clear.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    This is the same issue as the companies that do mail order. By law if a company takes your money and can't deliver in 2 weeks they are required to give you the option to get your money back. I think PCGS should have the option to return the coins and the money if they don't have them graded by an appropriate time (Scaled by the service level).
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    They should do precisely as they are doing - charge the card upon receipt of the order. To do otherwise would be incredibly stupid business practice.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    ANACS is less expensive, has faster turn around, and doesn't take credit cards. That said, putting the cost on a credit card is nice if you don't have the cash.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    so russ..i guess its correct for a company to have the use of your money and get interest for up to 3 months before the customer ever receives his goods or services? yep..thats good biz..especially if the customer is also paying the credit card interest to boot for 2 or 3 months
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Large mail order firms don't bill your card until the merchandise is ready to ship, and back ordered items aren't billed until available.

On the other hand, PCGS is mostly providing a SERVICE (i.e. their opinion) so it's better to get paid up front then find out the customer is over their limit when the coins are ready to be shipped back.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options

<< <i>They should do precisely as they are doing - charge the card upon receipt of the order. To do otherwise would be incredibly stupid business practice >>

C'mon, I know someone who started a business just for this reason. He started a travel company. You would book travel through him, he would charge your CC and have your money for anywhere between 6 to 10 months since he wouldn't have to pay the airlines, cruise lines, hotels ect until 30 days prior to your departure.

He then started a fund in Europe managing assets. He would filter the money to the fund and make millions for himself off of customers money. IT"S ALL IN THE FLOAT!

If you are giving someone your money so they can use in it to make their own interest while you are paying interest is just plain stupid!

Michael
  • Options
    DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    Pay when the work has been completed.

• Options
    Charge when service is completed and not 90 days before.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    I say charge up front. If you don't like that, then you have other options to pursue, such as using another service....Ken
  • Options
    I think that they should charge it right away, because when the coins have been graded or not graded, and then the card is not valid anymore, then PCGS has a problem of getting the money.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even though I voted YES I don't think there is any chance of it happening. PCGS rules the grading roost and makes the rules.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    If you think your getting your coins back faster if they cant charge up front, forget about it! That said, what differerence does it make? If your submitting coins on a regular basis, you will be having coins return on a regular basis, think about it! If you dont want to pay interest, dont use a credit card! PAY OFF YOUR BALANCE MONTHLY IF YOU DONT WANT TO PAY INTEREST USING A CARD! IF YOU CANT PAY OFF YOUR BALANCE MONTHLY, QUIT LIVING BEYOND YOUR MEANS! IF YOU CANT PAY CASH, YOU CANT AFFORD IT!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    I voted for I could care less...... I just keep submitting, every week or so.... and the Grades roll in..... My last three submissions I sent a check.....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    EVEN THOUGH I VOTED YES, I don't think it will happen. I think they should refund shipping and grading fees if they go over their stated target date at the time you submitted! You can then bet your bottom $ they will get them out in time! They could have stated free submissins will require an extra 30 days and they would not be in this mess! I think the free submissions with the Bowers & Merina promo is the biggest cause for current delays.
    Just Little ole MapMakers opine.
  • Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    I use my American Express Executive card and would prefer that it is billed when done! I don't worry about charges on it, but knowing it could be past 2 months for a charge and no guaranty for the service, I may be dead in a month, it like paying for food you never eat or gas you never burn!image
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file