Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

OT -- Anyone use Roadrunner or cable modems for Internet access?

I'm tired of dial up, does anyone here use Roadrunner cable or other type of cable access/modems for surfing the web?

Any complaints, recommendations ect? What are my other choices for residential high speed access?

Thanks
Michael

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I have had good luck with Earthlink DSL through the local phone company, Sprint in my case.
  • Options
    RoadRunner works great.
  • Options
    littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
    Cable is the way to go. It goes super fast. Plus you can have 5 or more computers hooked up on the same cable line and it doesn't slow down.

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I use RR.
    Love it.
    VERY dependable.
    45/month and you don't have to buy or lease the modem
  • Options
    Road Runner or other cable service is the way to go--super fast! Great for that last minute bid.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭
    Once you get a cable modem , you will never even think about dial up again !
    10x faster. I love it.

Kevin
  • Options
    Roadrunner definately cranks. I love it, and since I have a cell phone, it's been years since I paid a home-phone bill.
    NMFB ™

• Options
    Roadrunner definately cranks. I love it, and since I have a cell phone, it's been years since I paid a home-phone bill.
    NMFB ™

• Options
    NMFB ™

• Options
    NMFB ™

• Options
    NMFB ™

• Options
    NMFB ™

• Options
    NMFB ™

• Options
    NMFB ™

• Options
    NMFB ™

• Options
    Road Runner jams ~ service calls are free too!, which is a good thing as I had them out a few times for tv reception problems and they finally determined it was my surge protector that was screwing up the history channel intermittantly
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    I guess RoadRunner's so good it compels one to post multiple times image.

I use Comcast cable (formerly AT&T Broadband, formerly Excite@home, formerly ... ?). The speed rocks, but the extra services (web, email, etc.) I could do without. If they had a service that supplied only connectivity and none of the extra services (at a reduced cost, 'natch) I'd jump on it.
  • Options
    mojoriznmojorizn Posts: 1,380
    Comcast cable modem. I can't imagine life without it anymore.

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • Options
    izzy452izzy452 Posts: 929
    Comcast cable modem rocks !! Except when they try to upgrade something, then it takes a couple of days for them to work out the bugs.

Walt
  • Options
    Wow that was like a 9x post.
  • Options
    I used to have RoadRunner for Cable modem. Now I have Verizon DSL and it sucks. No cable modems in my area anymore.
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    I use road runner and will never go back to dial up. I'm spoiled, and put it this way, Heritage is not slow with a cable modem.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    drsvenghalidrsvenghali Posts: 291 ✭✭
    I have Charter cable modem. Works great. However, I have heard some complaints from oversubscribed areas being a tad doggy. Excellent compared to dial up.
    "Don't talk like an ignarosis."

I specialize in Wisconsin currency! Looking for information on WI national banknotes. Census stands at 12,318 notes.

**"Wisconsin National Bank Notes - 2nd Edition" is out!!!" Only $20PPd!!!
  • Options
    I don't know how the heck I did that, folks. It seemed to be locking up when I hit Reply to Thread. Then, an error message popped up telling me I couldn't make the same post more than once. Hmmmm.... sure looks like more than once to me!

Sorry... image
    NMFB ™

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Clark, Clark, Clark......
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Lucy,

That should be, "Clark, Clark, Clark, Clark, Clark, Clark, Clark, Clark, Clark..."

NMFB ™

• Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

The problem with DSL is the phone company image

Roadrunner will install promptly and on-time. My sister has waited a month for DSL and it's still not rigged up.

I know about 10 people who had DSL and switched to RR (because of crappy service)

I know one person who was unhappy with RR and went to DSL.

I regularly push 1000-1800 kbps with my RR. I don't think DSL can touch that without extra charges.
  • Options
    Roadrunner, since it became available here in Ohio. I would never consider anything else except maybe wireless in the future.

Dave
    Love those toned Washingtons
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    I am at the barrier with CABLE it's the only way to fly down the net. imageCABLE image

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    Okay, I got the message loud and clear. I got RR coming out to install on August 9th.

I'm looking forward to it. I'm tired of the dial up. Though I am going to keep it for email purposes only!

Thanks for everyone's help and advice!

Michael
  • Options
    It would have been easier to ask who doesn’t use cable or DSL. image
    Thadd...
    Novice collector, occasionally selling some coins on eBay. Click HERE to see all my auctions.
  • Options
    RR. I use it and really like it. We had some growing pains at first, but it just may be the area in which I live. It IS fast and the kids and I can both use at the same time. Also frees up the phone.image
  • Options
    I hope all of you cable modem or DSL subscribers have some sort of firewall software to slow down the hackers getting to your network.
    Those wonderful people continually poke around my network. You should of course use antivirus software already, but you should also
    invest in Pest Patrol or some other brand of software to monitor what gets downloaded into your system. You will also eventually need some IDS software (Intrusion detection system) to find out if people get into your network. You will be amazed at the junk that gets automatically downloaded when you visit some sites. I run with the "file download" option turned off in the browser.

Turning off your computer when not in use helps a lot. ;-)

I have a business T1 to my house and a commercial firewall. The T1 is monitored, so that Global Crossing calls ME when I have a down connection. It's been down once in three years when I was moving equipment and unplugged it.

Maurice
    Lurking with intent to loom
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    Roadrunner works great.
  • Options
    All these posts and no mention of prices!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cable is fabulous- images load super-fast, and downloads are just the same.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm looking forward to it. I'm tired of the dial up. Though I am going to keep it for email purposes only! >>

Why would you keep it for email purposes? You should be able to check your email just fine over the cable.
  • Options
    A firewall is an absolute must...... I was surprised (as most are) to see how often "attacks" occur.
    Paul Fillmore
    ANA LM5200
  • Options
    I have rr at work and it is awesome...when I move shortly I will hook this computer up on it.
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use Roadrunner and it's great.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    I agree Comcast is the fastest service provider ever I will never go back to dail-up
  • Options
    Well, you guys & gals convinced me went out yesterday to Best Buy and got a cable modem and signed up for Charter Pipeline. It was "on when I signed on today and it's greatimage

Dan
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    cable is the only way to access the net
  • Options
    mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    I have Charter Pipeline and it works great
  • Options
    ahah Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    What is available to you in your area? I have used Cable and DSL, and both method served me well.
    Dialup is not an option once you have gone to high speed.
    Al
  • Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    Only cable modem!! Have phone, TV cable and phone service all bundled!image
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    I use Adelphia cable but I would like to try DSL I hear the close you like to the phone company the faster it is and I live less than a mile away.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file