Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Slabbing experts - your comments please

I asked this on the World forum, then realized there are a lot more slabbing experts here, so:

<< <i>On a scale of ACG to 10, where does image rank? >>

Roy

Comments

• Options
    ACG

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Above AGC, way below ANACS
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are not an expert coin grader, the answer is 1 or 2.

Even when PCI was "good," their grading was all over the place. I remember that a collector brought in a group of PCI graded dollars to my table at a show. The assigned grades ranged from very conservative (crack-out candidates) to grossly overgraded. Most of the coins were common dates like 1881-S. I remember that I set three coins side by side, each graded MS-64. One I would have graded no better than MS-61 or 62; another was pretty close to MS-64 and the last had a shot at MS-65. It is for that reason taht you will see collectors here claim that they purchased PCI coins and gotten them upgraded by PCGS.

Over the last couple of years PCI has changed hands a few times. For a while they were among the worst services going. I don't know what their status is right now because I don't look at their coins very much. I can't market their product.

Perhaps others can provide you with some insights into that.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Kinda reminds me of AGC coins. God forbid, we have too many grading services. What is going on with NTC? There are only three that I really "can" rely on. Sight unseen, i.e.
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    As usual, Bill Jones is very accurate. I'll add that YEARS ago, you could find UNDERGRADED PCI gold, and cross it a point or two higher. Those days are long gone, but it was good while it lasted.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had success crossing PCI into PCGS at grades that are close or within a point or two (on coins purchased three to four grades under).

In a sense, PCI is much like other Services: You must purchase Sight Seen. Only with PCI you must be a bit more vigilant.

peacockcoins

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on my actual experience with their coins I will no longer submit coins to PCI for grading. Too inconsistent! I plan to crack out my PCI coins and send them in to another service, probably PCGS or ANACS. At the moment I would probably rate PCI as a 3 or 4 on a 10 point scale. I would rate SEGS as a 5, NGC as a 6, ANACS as a 7 and PCGS as an 8. No service rates a 9 or 10.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i> I'll add that YEARS ago, you could find UNDERGRADED PCI gold, and cross it a point or two higher. >>

Years ago? PCI Gold started in March of 2002.
  • Options
    The consensus is pretty clear.

Thanks to all for your input.
    Roy

• Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743

<< <i>

<< <i> I'll add that YEARS ago, you could find UNDERGRADED PCI gold, and cross it a point or two higher. >>

Years ago? PCI Gold started in March of 2002. >>

PCI Graded "Gold coins" Green Label. Years ago they were seriously undergrading Gold coins....Sorry for the confusionimage
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file