Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

FAVORITE PURCHASE AT ANA SHOW/AUCTIONS

wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
Let's do it again. What was your favorite purchase at the ANA? image

The "jury is still out" on my favorite coin - I will discuss it later this week. Wondercoin
Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    I missed on a few, but did manage to get one of my favorite dollars in the auction.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    super nice.......................... much better than average that 80-s

michael
  • Options
    This one updates the DDO 1876-CC in my Type Set.

Larry
    Dabigkahunaimage
  • Options
    Was? I haven't even gotten there yet. But I will be back with pictures when I do. image

Great Trade dollar.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Nice dollars!

My favorite purchase is my only purchase, a proof Jefferson nickel.
  • Options
    I'll let you know this weekend when I return!
    My Collections:

Kenny's Bennies I
  • Options
    Sold more coins than I bought. The favorite coin is the 1888 ngc proof 68 ucam half. Now I have both of the 68 ucams for the series.
    Bill
    Coin Junkie

cameoproofcoins.com
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prior to the show, I put a deposit on a 1915 PCGS MS-65 barber dime and a 1856 slant 5 large 1c PCGS MS-65RD (pop 1).

I also purchased from Rick Snow a 1899 1c PCGS MS-66RD cent.

I previously showed this coin here. I see that a MS-67 version of the 1900 sold for $8750.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will post pics after getting home - it has something to do with IHC's (surprise). image

Also will post pics of a great upgrade.......
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Nice Indian!
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    THE KRANKSTER GOT me bowers book sign sealed deliverd image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking indian.

Benny,do you think it will upgrade being in an old holder,Al
  • Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    Hey Grip,from the scans it looks like an average 65 technically, but I do think it's solid for it's grade.You see alot more 64 and below graded common dates with nice color than you do in GEM or above so I was pleased to find a nicer than average obverse crescent dollar for my set thats relatively clean.
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    My favorite coin bought at Baltimore show was the 1972 Ike dollar Type #1 in Ms-65 It has great luster for the date and could possibly be a 66 I may break it out and re-submit it. Thats just a thought for now. It was a great show and the awards luncheon was top notch with David Hall. It was nice to see some of the top registry guys in the same room. Special congrats to Nick Cascio Top Silver Rooseys I wish he would have attended I would of liked to shake his hand personally. Some day I hope to beat his set. LOL

• Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    So far, my favorite is a double struck Lincoln. Photos to come when I get back home.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK - The show is finally about over, so I was debating my favorite purchase at the show. This time, I will have to have "vicarious enjoyment" about my favorite coin purchased at the show, because my favorite purchase was one I have already placed with a customer. And, while this purchase was no where near my most expensive, it was still "way cool". It is the 1965 SILVER ROOSEVELT DIME I bought out of the Heritage sale. The coin was graded PCGS-AU58 by PCGS, but, it is a conservative grade IMHO, as the coin is really nice.

Even before the time I personally registered the #1 Silver MS Roosie set back in 1999, I dreamed of collecting a 1946-1965 Silver Roosie dime collection. I knew a handful of 1965 silver Roosevelt Dimes existed and have been looking to buy one for 5+ years. So, my purchase of the 1965 silver Roosie at the ANA was a very special purchase for me, even if "formal title" now belongs to someone else image

Wondercoin

P.S. I know Registrycoin feels the same way about a 1965 silver Roosie Dime - just one of those "way cool" coins image

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite coin is a 1793 Lib. Cap large cent. Tough coin decent. Rare 1st year issue type. K
  • Options
    Posted mine on the other forum....here it is again. Found a MS67R 1895 courtesy of Rick Snow, a MS 67 1864 Cu/Al pattern (Rick Kay) and a P66 Cameo Al pattern (of the rare 1864 c/L proof, die pair 2). Also received a nice upgrade - a FE cent, previously P64, now 65 cameo. Always was a great coin, now properly graded. Impossible to photograph......but will try in the near future.

Link
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Here are a couple of Goetz patterns I picked uo at the show:

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill
    Nice coins! Thanks for showing them to me at the show. That was the first silver Goetz pattern I've seen in person. I have to assume that they are quite a bit scarcer than the copper version??

If you ever get tired of them you know someone else who collects em.image

Mark
  • Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    Cosmicdebris' foreigns are awesome. I got a chance to see a couple first hand. I bought a bunch of really cool patterns, but am still at the ANA, so haven't had a chance to image them. The neatest is probably a J-1521, Morgan Half from the Bass collection which is a high R7 (4-6 known). But, what makes this one so cool is that it has a double struck obverse, making it unique. Boiler78 convinced me to sell it to him (as he is pattern Morgan half guy), so I have no pix. Perhaps Shylock could post a picture?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO BOTH SHYLOCK AND AIRPLANENUT, EACH OF WHOM WAS SO GENEROUS AS TO PHOTOGRAPH VARIOUS PORTIONS OF MY PATTERN INVENTORY.imageimage Both are great guys. Thanks again!
  • Options
    Boiler and RKKay those U.S. patterns were nothing to sneeze at either. image It was great finally meeting you guys. Too bad I missed Shylock I really wanted to meet him. I had a 1902 Matte proof 5 pounder that I put on layaway that I tried to take a picture of that did not come out good because I did not have my macro lens with me. Shylock could have done it up for me.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Cosmisdebris, thanks. Your pieces inspired me to buy three foreign patterns.image Shylock is a great guy, and I can't thank him enough for taking the time, energy and money (He bought more memory just to take the pix) to photo my coins.image
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    I was so captivated with everyone else's coins I forgot that a show was going on. You mean I could have bought something there?

Here's Boiler78's ex Bass pattern as requested by Rick.

J1521
    Large obverse

The image doesn't do the coin justice but the large obverse shows how rotated the original strike was (under the nose, chin, etc..). A rare pattern and a variety to boot, it doesn't get much better than that.

I did pick up a couple of neat Indian cent varieties, both from Rick Snow (who outbid me in the ANR auction for one of them). A 1902 "die gouge at eye" and an extremely rare 1870 S5 MPD "0 in denticles".

• Options
    1951 & 1952 Lincoln Proof both in 66 Cameo - toughies - & a 1992 in 70 DCAM. The ONLY 3 coins I could find in the whole show I needeed.
  • Options
    Rick there was an English collection a few tables away from you. ( I believe it was the James Watt Collection ) Did you check those out at all?

Also Bruce Lorich had a few Great UK patterns in his case he was at the far end of your aisle.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Brought a 1857 P64 FE cent with me. For $100 I purchased an upgrade to PCGS P65Cam. That was my favorite purchase. image

• Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
    My only purchase at the Baltimore auction was a 1892 Columbian Half. It cost me a bundle but I like the looks of the coin.

I am not a big fan of toned coins, but if light and does not hide the luster of the coin, I like it.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mrcommem
    That is nice toning,as you said ,it does not hide the lusterimage.Al
  • Options
    Bill, no. I was so clueless, I didn't even know they were there.image

Shylock, thanks for the pictures of boiler's coin. The shadow of the second strike is so cool, and it makes this already rare pattern unique (and that much more desireable to Mike Byers).
  • Options
    Too bad you missed some nice coins. The Watt Collection was fantastics coins from the 1700s and 1800s basically as struck.

<< <i>Here's Boiler78's ex Bass pattern as requested by Rick. >>

Is that a 6 under the 7 in the date?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
  • Options
    kyleknap, that is really cool.

Cosmicdebris, I hope I get a chance to see them sometime. As for boiler's coin, it is rotated a slight bit. The letters are rotated one letter counterclockwise.. The chin and nose are doubled, and the date is rotated one space counterclockwise. It is really a great coin.
  • Options
    Nice meeting some of the members from the board
    my favorite coins from the ANA are
    1940d RPM#4
    1941s large S mms-002.4
    1942s RPM#7
    1945d ddr-002 but with a double die obverse

ZAPS COINS

WANTED A 1943 double die AU or better(11-O-I)

collect all high grade Washingtons also Washingtons double dies,overmint marks and RPM's always buying
  • Options
    Ah OK now I see the rest of the doubling. That is an 8 not a 6 under the 7.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    This was my only get from the baltimore auction.
    Life can be like a bowl of cherries, sometimes its squishy and full of pits.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SgtPPS: An 1871-S $20 is nothing to sneeze at indeed. Looks very nice, especially for a type II $20 Liberty.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    1959-D MS66FBL Franklin
    1960-P MS66FBL Franklin

These additional coins made my set #5 of all time! I finally get a pedigree! Wooo hooo.

Now... What to call it?????

Should I go with Kenny's Bennies or the more traditional Last name? Hmmm.

Ken
    My Collections:

Kenny's Bennies I
  • Options
    My highlight was a nice original VF 1798 bust dollar that came across the table on a trade. Problem is I only owned it for about 2 hours before it found a new home.
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken,

Go with the last name. There are lots of Kens out there, and using your last name just seems a bit more classy.

Congratulations on a great set.

Jim

Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    caitlincaitlin Posts: 858 ✭✭✭
    This was my favorite an 1914d ms66 PCGS BUffalo Nickel.image
    A collector of high grade TONED BUFFALO NICKELS ,working on a PCGS REGISTRY SET.