Home U.S. Coin Forum

Paleeez ,I needs more reports on happenings in Baltimore

BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
I wish I could have been there. I needs to know, I wants to know,

I have to know. Why, what, when, who, where. I have bitten the claws on my paws

down to the quick. I am addicted to a steady uninterrupted flow of information. You would

think dealers and collectors in Baltimore had something more important to do then report back

every half hour to us hungry Forum Members.image
There once was a place called
Camelotimage

Comments

• MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    Bear, maybe if you shared some of those jelly rolls, people would give up the infoimage
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Kick back and have a jelly donut Bear, I'm sure they will be coming in soon!!!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    Sir, my jelly donuts are to be considered a sacred trust and a national treasure.

Camelotimage
  • raysrays Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sir, my jelly donuts are to be considered a sacred trust and a national treasure.

image >>

My dog, Akiko, is a Shiba Inu. Shibas have been declared a National Treasure of Japan. image
    As well they should be.

By the way, Jelly donuts are under consideration by the I.R.S. as investments for

inclusion in retirement plans such as 401K, Keough, 401B and defined contribution and

defined benefit plans.
    Camelotimage
  • cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭
    I'll give you a full Darkside report when I get back Sunday. image
    Bill

09/07/2006
    Thanks Bill, but by Sunday, I will probably be in intensive care ,due to severe

information deprivation.
    Camelotimage
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭
    I went to PNG day today. There were quite a few people there, and the bourse area is enormously huge. Angel Dees was set up and had tons of nice Lincolns and IHCs along with some other very cool stuff. Like the finest known certified 1964 SMS. All PCGS slabs. Awesome looking set. They also have a PCGS MS69FB Mercury dime that has to be seen to be believed. Spectrum had a case with a bunch of neat Pattern coins in it. Legend also has their usual impressive selection. They had a Silver Libertas Americanus (sp?) medal in
    their case. What a neat obverse design. Most of the dealers seemed very busy trying to recover from the auctions, and getting set up for the show. There was a huge line when I left of dealers registering for the show.

The weather in Baltimore has been mild for this time of year and I hope it stays that way. The Inner Harbor continues to be improved with new construction and maintainence going on all the time. It's a busy area, if you are driving in, give yourself plenty of time to park and walk. You shouldn't have to park too far from the Convention center. The Inner Harbor is truly multi cultural in the make up of the visitors that I see. It seems there are people from everywhere wandering about. I enjoy just walking around, looking and listening. There are a plethora (for King ArtR)image of restaurants to choose from. If you are coming to the show, ENJOY!! mdwoods
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    BY THE GODS!

...That's a good start, MD. Looking forward to hearing more.

No fun being left at home, eh Bear?

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
    Bless you Mdwoods, you report should hold me for a few hours. Thank you.

As for your comment Clank, no, its no fun at all being left behind.image

I have $112.37 to spend and I cant see the action on the floor.
    Camelotimage
  • cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭
    Woodie nice pre show update. Can't wait to join you there.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭
    I forgot to mention. And forgive me dear dealers but I don't remember the tables. I saw a super cool Pattern Dollar collection at one table. After I drooled over that, they ran me off. image I also saw a Proof Seated dollar collection that was also being displayed. It was also supercool. Another table had a double case full of PCGS Liberty Head Twenty dollar gold pieces. There will be almost too much stuff to see and absorb once everyone gets set up.

Oh yeah, Angel Dees also had a set of Matte Proof Buffalos on display. What wonderful detail they have. I wish I could buy all the coins I have seen. It looks like there will also be tons of darkside stuff available as well. I will know more tomorrow. I wish you all could attend. It is well worth it. I always end up meeting someone new and seeing old friends too. Mark

image I forgot to mention. I stopped by Pinnacles table as well. They have a bunch of super stuff. Coinguy1 was busy manning the guns and seemed very upbeat about things. Mark is a great guy. Stop by and see him if you get a chance.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
    ttt
    Camelotimage
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Angel Dee's has already sold the set of Matte proof Buffalos. The do have the 1964 SMS set still in the case.

Floor traffic was moderately heavy and I noticed quite a few families with children which may imply a lot of local residents making a point to get there. Got to talk with keets, mdwoods, MrEureka, Wayne Herndon, BJ (CU webmistress), MichaelDixon, RNCHSN, boiler78, RKKay. Rick Kay's patterns are fabulous, and he's just a really nice guy. Boiler78 - another greay guy - let me see some of his patterns which are equallly spectacular. I have to go back and introduce myself to jbsteven, who was sharing a table with Rick Kay but I didn't know it was him. Also have to stop and say hello to Mark Feld.

I was looking for a J-208 (common 1858 IHC pattern) but the only one I found was at a table where the guy wanted moon money for a ugly spotted PR64 so I passed.

Lots of talk in the aisles about the fifth 1913 Liberty nickel showing up, and seeing all five was a real treat.

The BEP exhibit has a sheet of the new $20 bills on display even though they won't be released until fall. Not what I imagined, especially on the reverse which has dozens of very small "20"s printed in copper-colored ink in the blank areas around the building. They also had an uncut sheet of $100,000 gold certificates and another uncut sheet of $10,000 notes. Don't see those every day!

Saw some mindblowing offerings of proof gold, and an Extremely High Relief Saint being offered for a million and a half by Goldberg. Cameo proof gold is really spectacular. No wonder it's the high-roller's favorite.

Brisk business at the PCGS and NGC tables until about 3PM when it looked to be relatively quiet. Perhaps the walkthroughs were cut off by then and there was no reason to rush. Looked to be moderately busy at ANACS, very quiet at ICG. While passing ANACS a guy had brought a raw bust half for a verbal opinion and the ANACS guy said he thought it might be altered. The guy then says, "but I'm thinking about buying it". ANACS guy just shakes his head.

Stopped at Anaconda's table but he was out and about. He has two tables, and I saw Anaconda2 (his son) manning the other table.

Benchmark Ventures has a table touting the investment aspect of coins.

Stopped at Jack Beymer's table to ask about a proof IHC he had in the case, but he made a point to ignore me while chatting with someone, stopping to write up some paperwork, and then starting to chat with someone else. So I moved on. Perhaps I should have waved some money around.

Heritage has a massive presence, equal to about eight tables.

Also saw very nice coins at Northeast Numismatics, Eagle Eye and Angel Dee's.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• barberloverbarberlover Posts: 2,228 ✭✭
    I personnelly [spelling] ? don't know Mr Jack Beymer, but if a dealer finishes a conversation that started before I got to his table, I would certainley understand but if you were standing there when that conversation finished and you know he saw you wanting to do buisness with him and then deliberatly ignored you, that is inexcusable.

If a dealer did that to me, not only would I not due buisness with him, but I would tell every collector I know exactley what he did.

Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know Jack and have dealt with him for 27 years. He is like the waitress who never lifts her eyes up to see you frantically waving for another cup of coffee or the cheque. Not the greatest when it comes to "being aware" in a show and I believe it is mostly due to his getting on in years but sometimes he has some irresistable coins.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
    ttt
    Camelotimage
    Camelotimage
  • BTW, the pattern dollars are at the ANR table, and the proof dollars are at the Superior table.

Steve
    Steven C. Liu -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file