Home U.S. Coin Forum

Question about ANACS

I have a 1883-CC in an old PCGS rattler type holder graded MS63 DMPL. I think the coin could get a UDM at ANACS, but it looks like there is PVC forming on parts of the reverse. What will ANACS do with this coin? Bodybag it? Or give it a net grade?

Comments

• Dont listen to me I got stupid coming out my ears.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UDM is DMPL, isn't it? If there's PVC, I'd go with the grade guarantee at PCGS, first... that or NCS, then ANACS. ANACS bags for two things- counterfeit and PVC.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • UDM has to have 12 inches of mirror depth, DMPL only has to have 6 inches of depth in the mirrors.
  • if you believe that it is a problem coin - PCGS will not holder it.
  • Would PVC be considered a problem? A problem coin would be cleaning, tooling, dings, dents, etc. wouldn't it? Or am I way off?
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    You're right - harsh cleaning, tooling, etc. are all grounds for bodybags, but PVC is also.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Anacs will not slab a coin with pvc on it.

Just go to their site its clearly stated.

Soak it in acetone for a while and rinse it in acetone that should get rid of it without harming the coin in any way if it is pvc.
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Send it to NCS and then send it to ANACS
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey ultra

tough call. if you think it's PVC, you can always wash that yourself with acetone and not harm the coin. that assumes, i guess, that you would be removing the coin from it's holder and sending it to ANACS. if you sent it to PCGS, the prudent thing would probably be to call them first and discuss things. if it is indeed PVC, i imagine they might remove it and re-holder the coin for you under their guarantee. maybe the place to start is by getting further opinion of what the problem area you spoke of really is. there are no doubt members/dealers /collectors who could help identify what's really going on with the reverse.

in the perfect world, it would be positively identified as PVC, the coin would be conserved by PCGS and re-holdered with the DMPL designation added.

BTW, here's my example of the date. do you think they can fix that planchet flaw??image

al h.image

• sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    keep it in the PCGS slab

if you really want ANACS, submit on crossover service with your minimums
    MS63 UDM

they will return original slab, or return PCGS if does not make it

do you really think active PVC? PCGS is good at picking that up as well as ANACS

if PVC was on the coin, there probably was a light film restricting reflection

can always go the PCGS guarantee route but could be $30 for them to say they like it where it is

any of these things is going to cost you $30+, is it worth it?

worst case would be crack out, soak in acetone and find you can't get the stuff off you think may be PVC, and you can not get back in a holder as good as it is now (after spending $$ and time)

are your plans to turn this coin, or keep in your collection for another 5+ years?image
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you really want to start throwing good money after bad? This sounds like a problem coin that is going to be nothing but trouble for anyone who owns it.

As has been said earlier, ANACS will not slab it if the problem is PVC.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    Neutralize the PVC and resubmit if you think the coin deserves encapsulation. ANACS will "net" grade for the damage left by the PVC, but will holder it if it's no longer active.

On the other hand, you could submit it to ACG with hopes of receiving an MS69 grade.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    If the PVC is "starting to form" on the coin it hasn't "left damage." Simply take it off with acetone - no brainer. As for holdering, I don't know any answers about that, I don't play that game.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Is there anyplace that I could buy this Acetone at?
  • Is there anyplace that I could buy this Acetone at? ..Any hardware store....Ken
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭
    Be sure to buy pure acetone. Although I think that's all a hardware store would carry.

I use a 3 dip acetone rinse, where I soak the coin in one glass jar with about an inch of acetone in it, then with metal tongs, move it to the next jar of acetone, swish it around to rinse it, then move it to the third jar and do the same thing, then take it out and it will dry within about a second. Really effective on PVC.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file