Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rainbow IKE

rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11981&item=3038046121link

The above is my first attempt to add a link. Don't laugh at me if it does not work...I'm trying!! That said, what do you think of this IKE????
imageimageimage
"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
rainbowroosie April 1, 2003

Comments

• Options
    mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    I like it but i dont think it will look like the pics when you get it in hand.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Link works perfectly.

That's rather interesting toning for a clad coin.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    MrDMrD Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭
    MB
    Believe it or not the coin looks like the picture
    Dick
    Greattoningimage
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    The link worked!!! -- I am now the Yoda of computer technology!!!imageimage
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

He's always got some nice toners and I've enjoyed dealing with him as a buyer and seller in the past.

He certainly knows how to take great photos image

But the day-glow obverse kinda looks like you can see "brush strokes" in front of Ike's face imageimageimage

A pretty coin though - I threw a $20 bid on it for funimage
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    WOW if it really looks that bright in real life i want to know how that happend, i havn't even seen a sliver coin that looked that bright. (what temp was the oven set at???)
  • Options
    Probably AT wether intentional or not. I can see why its in a PCI gold slab.
  • Options
    hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    That is wild toning. I believe the seller is a member here. I don't remember his handle. Send a PM to Supercoin. It looks AT to me, but I have seen just as wild coins in slabs (PCGS/NGC).

-Jarrett Roberts
  • Options
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But the day-glow obverse kinda looks like you can see "brush strokes" in front of Ike's face >>

LMAO....nothing to say except, OMG!!!!
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭

-Jarrett Roberts
  • Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    Neat coin. Not a Peac*ock hoard coin though so don't get carried away.

Greg
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Composition----3-cent nickel and Nickel five-cent pieces, 1865-date w/exception of the silver Jefferson's, .750 copper and .250 nickel in alloy.

Composition----all clad coinage 1965-date, an outer layer of .750 copper and .250 nickel in alloy bonded to a pure copper core.

i only posted that to illustrate that all of our current circulating clad coins and the Ike's/SBA's are essentially nickels. i have plenty of rainbow Jefferson's and while they may be older for the most part, you should catch my drift: copper/nickel tones very attractively. while this coin looks rather robust and vibrant, the fact that it's holdered by PCI shouldn't dismiss it as AT. i have some blue, gold and red/pink Ikes that i have no reason to believe were messed with.

this coin may/may not be AT, but the fact that it's a mid 70's nickel clad issue in a PCI holder shouldn't really be at question.

al h.image
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can attest to "greattoning's" pictures. I bought some Roosey dimes from him last year that were "right on" as far as the picture was concerned.

I'm now sending "greattoning" an email asking him how he gets his pictures....

jom
  • Options
    Hey Bill ! show some pix of your best Roosies !! image
  • Options
    Honestly, whether AT or not, that is the type of toing that just turns me off whenever I see a picture of it whether it is on an Ike, a Morgan or an anything. Too bright, too neon, too much like a made-up wh...never mind. Let's just say not my cup o' tea. YMMV.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    That is so blatantly AT it isn't funny. And there are people trying to say PCI has some sort of credibility.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    The toning is unnatural, unwholsome, unmentionable, unbearable and unbelievable.

Looks like the artest cleaned his brushes on the face of the coin.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, for anybody wondering by my previous comments that I thought the image was off compared to the coin like I have in the past....Not the case this time, it probably does look just like the image. And that's what bother's me.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    got to love that toning. It looks kind of like the quarter I toned on the gas grill this morning.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    MrD, do you have any history on how it acquired that toning?
  • Options
    The owner said it came from an Arizona collection and thats all I know about it
    Dick
    greattoning
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    if it is at, thats a purty at job...
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ..........makes me wonder about what was said regarding the Peacokc hoard when it first came to light. most opinions on color are probably based on experience looking at silver coins. nickel tones differently. maybe AT, maybe not. perhaps i need to go check some of those Jeff's. there seems to be a preponderance of brightly toned Jefferson's being holdered now. makes me wonder what the services are doing. they should probably check with us experts, eh??

al h.image
  • Options
    supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    The point has been here before made that all toning is "artificial" in some degree.

"Market acceptable" toning is really just artificial toning with a good history -- whether it's the Peacock hoard Ikes, bags of Morgans, or Wayte Raymond albums.

But I think this coin would have a hard time passing muster at a top-tier service. Obviously the owner thinks so too or it'd be in one of those holders now for a lot more money. image I haven't seen one "naturally" toned like that before which always makes for a tough hurdle.
  • Options
    I have been told by the owner that he has one of these in a pcgs holder. Seeing is believing but thats what I was told.
    Dick
    greattoningimage
  • Options

<< <i>I have been told by the owner that he has one of these in a pcgs holder. >>

So PCGS slabbed a Ike with artificial toning. Wouldn't be the first AT coin they slabbed and wont be the last. Doesn't mean this coin is real.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file