Home U.S. Coin Forum

Best source for overnight delivery?

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
Howdy,

I'm trying to get something to arrive overnight... there is no room for a two-day shipment, unless it is shipped instead to my hotel.

The coin is coming from upstate NY to central NJ... maybe 200 miles.

Assuming I can ship to the law firm where I work, or my home, what is the best/cheapest way to ship the coin? Or should I have it sent Priority to the hotel, assuming it will arrive in two days and save me a bundle?

Jeremy
JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• You shouldn't assume anything with Priority Mail. In some cases it can take just as long as First Class mail since it travels wih it anyway. If you want it guaranteed in two days while saving yourself a bit of money, send it UPS 2nd Day. You can always do USPS Express Mail too and have the waiver of signature crossed off so the concierge or someone at the desk downstairs can sign for it if you're not there.
  • UPS offers an overnight delivery, but I don't know the cost. I have my medication, which requires refrigeration, delivered UPS overnight. Very reliable.
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • waynemewayneme Posts: 852
    fedex the only way to insure it will be their prices vary but worth the peace of mind
  • .....except coins are on their list of items they won't pay off on even if insured! You need your own insurance coverage.

<< <i>fedex the only way to insure it will be their prices vary but worth the peace of mind >>

The Ex-"Crown Jewel" of my collection! 1915 PF68 (NGC) Barber Half "Eliasberg".

Once again resides with Legend, the original purchaser "raw" at live Eliasberg auction. Laura and i "love" the same lady!

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not worried about insurance on this one... maybe what I'll do is have him ship USPS overnight to my office's PO Box, so I'll sign for it there, and know I have it on Thursday... that or I'll see if he can FedEx it to my office.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Fedex or UPS. Don't go Airborne, I have had problems with these people.

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
    What about USPS overnight, TooTawl? I'd be on the mail run at work, so I'd be signing for it.

Jeremy
  • TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    I have used USPS overnight and have also have had no problems.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I've never had a problem receiving UPS 2nd Day air shipments at hotels. Mostly documents, never anything of any value to steal.

As long as you're staying at a decent hotel you shouldn't have any problem receiving it and you can save on the overnight charges.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
    It's the Marriot Inner Harbor... nice hotel image

The $4, though, would mean I have much less of a chance of selling on the Friday, as the guarantee is for 4:30PM... any overnight means I bring the package with me from home... hmmm...

Jeremy
  • nalamolly5nalamolly5 Posts: 671 ✭✭
    since insurance is not an issue, you could have it fedexed as hold at location to the nearest fedex station to the hotel, and just pick it up there. you could even save a little by going standard overnight rather than priority, it arrives at the station at the same time.

<< <i>since insurance is not an issue, you could have it fedexed as hold at location to the nearest fedex station to the hotel, and just pick it up there. you could even save a little by going standard overnight rather than priority, it arrives at the station at the same time. >>

I can't get that far out of the way... remember, it took a few months to convince my parents to take me at all... now to convince them in 4 days to stop at a FedEx station? image

I think I'll use USPS overnight to my office, that way I'm most likely the one who'll be signing for the package. Also, I know the seller will be able to use USPS, and I'm not sure about FedEx or other services like that... I don't want to have to hassle him beyond picking up a free flat rate envelope.

Jeremy
  • Jeremy,

You should get out more. image
  • supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    US Postal Service -- when it absolutely has to be there overnight. Most of the time. Depending on area. Sometimes.

FedEx if you really need it. image
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    THe one time I used USPS Express mail. it took 2 days, and I got my money back from their guaranteed overnite delivery.
  • LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,274 ✭✭
    FEDEX (unless you are Tom Hanks, and your plane crashes, and your girlfriend marries somebody else, but you meet that hot cowboy chick at the end).
    DSW

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file