Home U.S. Coin Forum

Unique collections

tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
Who has interesting collections, rather than normal collections? I know Braddick is collecting a complete type set in the lowest grade possible, all graded by PCGS. Lordmarcovan is collecting holey coins. Cardinal is collecting the finest known bust dollar collection, regardless of slab. Me, I want to collect a complete mint mark set of POP 1 Morgan dollars, just one example from each mint, in the lowest grade that still qualifies as a POP 1 coin. Any other "fun" collections?

Tom
Tom

Comments

• Old slabs and Sample slabs. There are several types that are unqiue and only one person can have them in their set.

Cameron Kiefer
  • What are you going to do when someone else submits a coin and your coin suddenly becomes a Pop 2 coin? I collect everything, regardless of slab. How many slabs do you own Cameron? One from each company you can possibly get your hands on I presume?
  • jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    My mercury set is kinda different. It has either toned coins, pedigreed or pop top (or darn near pop tops) no band coins. I don't feel like spending big wads of money on this set so I figured out a way to do it with coins I like.

• << <i>What are you going to do when someone else submits a coin and your coin suddenly becomes a Pop 2 coin? >>

Not pop top coins, but slabs that cmpanies make or give out at shows. Some are really rare. let me scan one or two and show you what I collect.

Cameron Kiefer
  • tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What are you going to do when someone else submits a coin and your coin suddenly becomes a Pop 2 coin? >>

Yes, it is possible that someone will submit another coin, but I'm trying to go for very common dates, such as 1879-S (mine is in G-06) where there is little incentive to submit. Uncirculated 1879-S are actually quite common, so a lower grade circulated has so little value that I'm betting that someone won't submit it.

Tom
    Tom

• At some point I want to have a mint set (c,d,cc,p,s,o) of 5 dollar libs. None going under VF.
  • I collect mainly old slabs where it doesn't matter what grade the coin is (the cheaper the better) and sample slabs. Many are common, but no longer produced and some are more rare. Here is a one of a kind sample:

It is a sample that was sent to Lucent Technologies to test the new Intercept Shield that ICG was going to use at the time. The lab did 100 plus years (compressed time frame) of testing by trying to bombard it with sulfer and gasses to see if they would penetrate the intercept shield and corrupt the coin. It passed.

Cameron Kiefer
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Complete Date/MM set of Liberty Nickels (what else?), with all coins being an error/variety. Have nearly 33% now, will list in the registry (won't mean much by the numbers) when I get my 4 "free" submissions back.

I just wish I could afford a few of the errors in the upcoming B&M ANA sale. I will watch that session live, which should be interesting.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Toned, first year issues whenever possible.
  • That's really neat Cameron. It will make for interesting conversation later down the road!
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I probably have dozens of collections which are collected by only a handful of collectors,
    but the only ones which may be unique are my right side up and up side down clad quar-
    ter collections. The silver colored cladding is smeared across the copper core when the
    planchet is punched out of the strip. Right side up is where it is smeared toward the rev-
    erse. I also have a set of the lowest grade undamaged quarters from circulation.
    Tempus fugit.
  • I've never heard of anyone else collecting purple buffao nickels...

------------

My Blog
    ---------------------------------
    90% lurker, 10% poster, 100% American!
  • I have what I call the "orphan collection". these coins are so ugly I figure they would never have a home unless I took them in and kept them safe.
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must say, the little sample from the cardinal collection the other day was very nice. While I cant get into the sample slabs of Cameron's personally, I can still appreciate the originality of the collection and would be neat to see at a show in the future.

For me, the number one goal is the proof type set. Mine might be a little less common since I am collecting a REAL type set, Double eagle to half cent, proof first, the MS, then AU.

Then there is the complete date sets in Fine, VF, or XF for each of the barber denominations.

Another side set is all of the seated liberty half dollars from the new orleans mint in original circ grades.

Yet another is circulated seated dollars from the 1840's.

Finally, I collect currency with subsets. Wont bore you coinage guys with that. image

That may sound like a lot of sets but in this day and age it is good to be omniverous.

John
  • SunnywoodSunnywood Posts: 2,683
    The Sunnywood Collection of MS shield nickel Cherrypicker varieties includes mainly NGC-certified MS shield nickels with the FS # attribution on the insert (preferably unc or better). This collection includes about two-thirds of ALL the variety coins shown in the NGC Census for MS shield nickels. Many are pop 1, or indeed are the ONLY certified examples for their respective varieties. The amount of effort that has gone into this is enormous, and the collection is impossible to put a value on. I know that I could probably never recoup enough $$ to make up for the time and effort to assemble a collection like this. It cannot be duplicated. And we're still adding coins if we can find them.

Best,
    Sunnywood
  • TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Trying for a complete date and mint set of TONED Morgan dollars

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file