Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What good is the USPS??

I got home after running around all day to find a package in the mail. When i pulled it out written on it was "I signed for package" then it was signed by our mail lady. Arn't they supposed to bring it back to the PO and have you come and sign for it?

Comments

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Yes they are. Your carrier is trying to do you a favor, but putting herself at risk. If you say it was never delivered, and her sig is on the form, she'll be bagged.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    USPS is the only way I ship. FedEx is a complete hassle and is very expensive, and UPS has their heads up thier dark spots all the time. Seems like some bang-up operation to me, and I wouldn't trust my trash to them. USPS is good and reliable. My mail lady does favors for me by bringing extra priority boxes and leaving them at the door, allowing me to send mail without postage, then leaves an envelope with the amount in the box the next day. Forget having these other courier services taking their time to be personable.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    OK i thought that's what they did, I'm glad she did because i was really wanted to see this coin. (She knows i collect coins) when i get a package in the mail next time i see her she'll ask how i liked it or if i want her to return it for me.
  • Options

My carrier does the same for me and I am very grateful for the favor--He won't sign for registered or certified but the bulk of what I receive is simple "insured" and he does it for those. Going to my post office is a major hassle--a minimum of an hour to pick up a package.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    When my lady postmaster sees me pull into the parking area, she heads for the vault to get my package. Nice lady...Ken
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    She probably got an idea of value by the amount of postage - same as some of the postal employee thieves before they get caught and sacked

It is nice you got it today instead of waiting until Monday (or until you can get to post office) - it would not be quite as nice if your coin was worth a few thousand (in my opinion) - it would also not be very nice if your mailbox is NOT secure and if a thief came by and cleaned out your mailbox before you did - it would probably be a long and complicated insurance process and your postal delivery person would possibly be jobless from her generosity

USPS supplies a service and in some areas do it much cheaper than any private service (because sometimes they perform at a loss)

I still like registered because of the lock and key requirement with signitures at every exchange.
  • Options
    My mail lady signs for my packages all the time. I sponsered her son on my baseball team a few years ago, and I trust her and she trusts me. It REALLY saves me a bunch of hassles..I live quite a distance from the post office and I dread going there...

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    My postman brings back Registered packages the next day to save me going to the P.O.

I always remember him at Christmas time, with cash in an envelope.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    wow nice people. My next door neighbor is the county judge and his son parks in front of my mailbox about once a week. My mail carrier wont get out of the truck to put mail in my box. I get it next day with a note that says blocked. ONE STEP FROM HER TRUCK!! she wont do it. The local post master says that is the rule, they dont have to get out of the truck for any reason.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Brad,

It sounds like you have a real nice letter carrier. You should be thankful they do that for you in your town.

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    My mailman NEVER tries to deliver anything that requires my signature. I get the pink card and have to go to the post office to pick up my package. I have been home several times (all day) and the mailman never knocks on my door or rings the doorbell to try to deliver the package. This has happened at least a dozen times. I have complained at the post office, but to no avail.

Numonebuyer
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720

<< <i>My mailman NEVER tries to deliver anything that requires my signature. I get the pink card and have to go to the post office to pick up my package. I have been home several times (all day) and the mailman never knocks on my door or rings the doorbell to try to deliver the package. This has happened at least a dozen times. I have complained at the post office, but to no avail.

Numonebuyer >>

I have the same problem here. Couple of times I've been out in the yard and waved to the guy, check the box a little later and there is the pink/peach slip.

I finally complained after putting up with this for too long. Then..........no mail for a week or more. I go to the PO and I find out that my mail carrier has filled out a 30 day "hold" form and forged my name.

A supervisor took me into his office and convinced me that a futher complaint over this could only lead to more grief in the future. After all, I couldn't "prove" the mail carrier was behind the hold form and forged my name.

Some service!!
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    I had an arrangement with the Postman, before i moved. He signed all return receipt stuff for me and he would take the Registered Mail to the Apartment Office and have them sign for it.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My postman rocks... he's really nice, and a mile before my house, I can ask him what I got and he knows image

I've never gotten a slip, but then again, my mom works at home, so normally someone is here to sign for certified, etc...

He's a great guy, so there's no complaining from me.

My postmaster, on the other hand... image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    On one occassion, I had an item returned to sender without getting any pink card at all.

On two occassions, I received a second notice on Saturday when I picked up the item on the morning of the day before.

Numonebuyer
  • Options
    RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    I'm home most mornings when they come around, so it doesn'r effect me much.

• Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    I should have added that I've gotten to know my neighbors quite well as six homes in a row all seem to get each other's mail on a regular basis, sometimes there's a pattern to it, sometimes it's a crap shoot.

He's a Jamacian guy(not that there's anything wrong with that)and he always seems a little too happy. Maybe the ganga has something to go with all this?
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    I have had packages with delivery confirmation saying it was delivered but I never saw it. USPS could only say we delivered see it says so in our computer tracking. Delivery confirmation is a joke without it being in my hand before they say it was delivered.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    When I take my packages to the PO in the morning, they have my registered packages ready to pick up! Works real nice!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    Expect even more problems from the USPS shortly. My Postmaster tells me the USPS is about to announce the closings of 10,000 offices (1/3 of their offices) as a cost cutting move. Although most of the closings are small (unprofitable) branch offices, it will no doubt add an extra burden on the remaining offices. You will either have to travel further or wait longer to get/send your mail. My state (WV) will be hit hard with about 1/2 of the offices closing, as we have an inordinately large number of small offices (more than CA and twice as many as NY). I'm pretty sure the branch I use will likely close, requiring me to travel much further to do business. I will probably have to limit shipping to once or twice a week, and stop using a PO box address. I'll cross my fingers and hope my office survives the cut.
    My website: WWW.telecoin.bizland.com
  • Options
    DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    I've found them to do a pretty darn good job. With that said, I sure wish they would try to keep lines shorter at the Post Office itself.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file