Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any Reports from the PRE-ANA?

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
Did any one attend the Maryland State pre ANA today? IF SO, any thoughts?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    TTT. I am intetrested also in an early report.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    ttt... did any one go yesterday?

• Options
    I was there six hours yesterday:
    Dealer to dealer action was fairly heavy
    Medium buzz
    If you could find a nice coin it had a moon price
    PCGS was very busy, NGC was light as well as ANACS, ICG didn't have any action
    I priced a rainbow 82-CC-MS 64, $1250, IMHO $500 coin!
    I went mainly to submit 62 coins to PCGS (mostly Jeffs)
    Treated myself to a couple of toned Jeffs,44-S and 60 PR
    I came home with more $ than I started with, but I'll need it for the ANA

See y'all next week!!
    Tim
    My proof Jeffs
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was in a garage basement given the name "exhibition center". Hot with little air, no bathrooms.

As noted, mainly dealer to dealer action. Only a few collectors present. Most of the dealers authorized to make deals were at the auctions so couldn't found out the real prices on several coins. Saw several nice patterns. Reviewed Snows IHC's. Did buy one IHC for moon money - oh well.....it was 3k less than the price when offered to me last week!

Bought a CWT struck over a 1863 IHC - my favorite theme - nice beer stein on the obverse! Met some really nice CWT dealers and got to know them - probably the highlight of the day for me, except dinner. Went to a great sea-food rest. afterwards with Snow, one of Julian Liedmans haunts (there also). Great food.

Wish you were here!
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    I was there today. Unfortunately, I am not following the auctions and that has already been well addressed in other threads. Sunday is usually a slower day... but the Dealer activity was strong and the dealers I talked to were doing quite well. Prices for better material was strong and most dealers were reasonable in terms of buying.

For example...CC Dollars seem to be doing well and I am not just talking about the GSAs... I even saw original 1890-cc & 91-cc Morgans in the 125-140 price range that graded between VF35 AND EF40. The 93-cc that I saw in ef was over $600 and even a 79-cc ef was $600. It stands to reason that the 79-cc should follow the 93-cc higher but... $600 is alittle on the rich side from my perspective.

I think the auctions are the buzz and the show was good in light of the auctions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file