Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I’m thinking VG, how about you?

In my quest to grade my Lincoln Cents accurately I like to scrutinize scans on auctions and come up with what I think a coin should grade. Check out this auction and tell me what you think. I think VG and not even close to F according to the grading guidelines I use. This is a learning experience for me so let me know.

Click
Thadd...
Novice collector, occasionally selling some coins on eBay. Click HERE to see all my auctions.

Comments

• Options
    I agree. It looks like a VG.
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
  • Options
    I would say a VG8 although I wouldn't argue with G6.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The scan is poor and offering an opinion based in this is tough. I tend to think VG10 with an outside shot at F12. I have a feeling the coin is better than the scan

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have found it useful to subtract 1 to 1 1/2 grades from ernie's grading. Especially true with the 'darkside' coins he sells.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    vega1vega1 Posts: 941
    IMO I would also view this as a VG-10, but its always hard from a scan. It might be nicer in person. However, I would say the ding at 12:00 on the reverse is distracting which may be coloring my opinion. I would probably be able to convince myself it was an F if I owned it. image
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    VG-8
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    My rule of thumb is if it is raw on ebay it is graded at least one grade off, and I never go by what they say. Look at the scan and don't get scammed! Bid according to the way you see the coin not how the seller sees the coin.

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solid VG08 but on a rare day when the sun and the moon and the earth are orbitting causing a mellow breeze to gently sweep over PCGS, maybe, just maybe a FN12.

peacockcoins

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    There's no question to me. VG8 at best.

David
  • Options
    Thanks for making me fell more confident in my grading skills. image
    Thadd...
    Novice collector, occasionally selling some coins on eBay. Click HERE to see all my auctions.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VG8. And a wise move to ask if you were not certain.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    VG8, has enough hair detail for the grade. Ernie is pretty good at overgrading. I've purchased from him several times but you must discount for that.
  • Options
    Ernie overgrades everything.

Would call it F12....

Steve
  • Options
    Textbook VG08..... definitely not F/VF.....
    Paul Fillmore
    ANA LM5200
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That green crap in the middle of the nine would concern me as much as the misgrading.
  • Options
    I do like the fact that the seller gives a nice close picture of the coin. I can’t believe the auctions that have pictures that are small or even blurry. image
    Thadd...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file