Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin World seller question

Has anybody ever had any dealings with Ken Pines' Coast to Coast coins? They always have a big spread in Coin world.

I need a couple of nearly matching BU Morgans as birthday presents for twin nephews of mine. The last thing I want to get are cleaned or whizzed coins.

I'd appreciate hearing of anyone's experiences with them.

Thanks in advance. image
"Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff

Comments

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    i,ve heard more than a few horror stories of people buying raw coins from those `full-page` ad guys in CW.

I,d be very wary of doing so just from what I,ve read on this forum about `those guys`.
  • Options
    Did you say nearly BU....................or nearly matching??? This is an important point.........image
    New shop..........New lessons every day...............
  • Options
    mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    "The last thing I want to get are cleaned or whizzed coins." Is going to be the first thing you get, I would never buy from a dealer that sells raw coins from the back of a magazine. If you want some nice morgans try posting a thread on the B/S/T board. I'm sure there are a few board members that have a few matching BU morgans to get rid of.
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    BU and nearly matching.

I've heard a few horror stories as well, hence my question here among the wise and learned.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    Only wanna help other avoid pit-falls i,ve read about others having had.

I have learned so damn much from the good folks here its not even funny.

This site is a virtual treasure trove of info and a must-read for anyone halfway serious about
    coin collecting.

Hats off to CU/PCGS and all the fine members here for being here.image
  • Options
    Cam40 ..........do I detect a shade of PCGS/Brown on the nose??...........image
    New shop..........New lessons every day...............
  • Options

i hope not. imageimage
  • Options
    I would only buy raw from a magazine if one, you knew what you were doing and the seller had a good return policy and was an ANA member.
  • Options
    After all, Coin World lets AccuGrade advertise their services in there so I don't think they regulate which dealers sell what.
  • Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    Their BU Morgans are AU. You're better off getting them certified 1881-S MS62 examples for $20 a piece on Ebay and they will get cheaper and superior coins.

Brian.
  • Options
    NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
    You're better off getting them certified 1881-S MS62 examples for $20 a piece on Ebay and they will get cheaper and superior coins. nnI agree with WingedLiberty.

You could just go to your neighborhood coin shop and pick-up two BUs. The real question is if these nephews are the touchy-feely type, should you really be getting BUs or just AUs, and if they aren't the touchy-feely type, pick-up some nice common slabbed BUs. They'd probably be great for Show-N-Tell.

Jim
  • Options
    I bought some raw coins from Coast to Coast. I bought a "BU" coin from Coast to Coast. It was AU. I bought a proof coin from Coast to Coast. It was whizzed. At least they promptly refunded my money when I promptly returned the coins.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I bought a BU Isabella quarter from them - looked nice to me

when it came back from ANACS it was AU58 - slider, bummer - I did not know the difference at the time

I am not sure if they are intentionally selling AU sliders as BU or if they are not very good graders like me!
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    RUN FORREST! RUN!image
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Here is the link to an old must read thread re Coast to Coast.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    Coast to Coast knows how to grade and knows exactly what they are doing. They decided long ago that their current modus operandi was the most profitable way to them to do business. If nothing else, you say they've been consistent for the past 30 years.
  • Options
    Look in your local phone book, under "Coin Dealer's".... Give them a visit, I'm sure they can help with that order,
    and you will be able to actually see what your buying, before you hand over the cash...
    Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • Options
    I've seen "BU" coins from them in the past. Go to your local dealer or put a post here, you will be much happier.
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    Danger Will Robinson, Danger. Stay away at all costs!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file