Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coins in 20 years

What do you all think coins will look like in twenty years. I believe coins peaked in the early 1900's and mid to late 1800's and now they are going to decrease even more quality wise. If coins still exist in twenty years I beleive they will all be smaller to save on money and will have very simple designs. Imagine a quarter on a dime plachet maybe they will even be made of a light weight space age plastic. I have a feeling coins will end up looking something like this.

Comments

• Options
    It will be interesting to see if coins still even exist in 20 years. There have been already been efforts by an ignorant few that would like to end the mint. I happen to think it would be a bummer. They should keep our history alive and keep pumping out coins. I don't want to live in the Matrix darnit!!!
  • Options
    Even if the Mint did discontinue coins for circulation they should still make them availible for collectors(like the half dollar and dollar coins).
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Knowing the US Mint, they will look the same as they do now!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time for George W and Clinton! Oh, crap... image

Jeremy

PS- Maybe that fake Arkansas quarter will become real imageimage
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe that fake Arkansas quarter will become real imageimage >>

Roflmfaowpimpbotf
  • Options
    As long as the Mint can make the Govt $, they will continue to make coins!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    In twenty years many of todays moderns will be classics.image
  • Options
    Yes but do they make enough to keep it profitable or do they only make enough to cover the cost of the year's coinage or is it just a little to recover some of those costs? I'd be interested in understanding the mint's profit margin, if any.
  • Options
    In 20 yrs hmmmm....let me look into the magic sphere....the cent will be gone and all the coinage left will have politacally correct images on them.............crap the future sucks!
  • Options
    richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    Brian,

These figures are about 16 months old (the most recent I have), but should be pretty close to what they are now. Figures are for business strikes:

Cent.................Face Value 1c..................Cost To Mfg. .82c................Profit .18c per coin
    Nickel...............Face Value 5c..................Cost To Mfg. 2.6c................Profit 2.4c per coin
    Dime................Face Value 10c.................Cost To Mfg. 2.1c................Profit 7.9c per coin
    Quarter............Face Value 25c.................Cost To Mfg. 4.3c................Profit 20.7c per coin
    Half..................Face Value 50c.................Cost To Mfg. 10.7c..............Profit 39.3c per coin
    Dollar...............Face Value 100c...............Cost To Mfg. 13c.................Profit 87c per coin

The cost to manufacture cents has varied between eight-tenths and nine-tenths of a cent per coin for some time now. I have not seen profit margin (seignorage) figures for proof and mint set coins. With the extra care in manufacturing and processing I would think the seignorage would be thinner, and maybe not even exist for the cent, but I am by no means sure of that. And of course, you would have to factor in the surcharges for each set. image
  • Options
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    william

the ever increasing darkside hold on you is scaring meimage

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    i hate to say it but i think in 20 years the coinage for this country will be the mexican peso.

john
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    That franc is beautiful!

And speaking of halves being produced for collectors, I got two 2000-D's IN CIRCULATION.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They will be aluminum for use in the colonies.
    The Chinese characters will be tough for those of us who have unfortunately been schooled in English.

• Options
    richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    Using the figures from my above post, this would be profit in dollars for coins struck using the mintage figures from 2002:

Cents........................$13,119,939.00
    Nickels......................$29,531,520.00
    Dimes.......................$202,793,000.00
    Quarters...................$685,936,728.00
    Halves.......................$2,200,800.00
    Dollars.......................$6,609,921.00

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file