Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Quiz - Why is this coin so fake it stinks to high Heaven?

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Besides the fact that it "looks" completely bogus? The last eight in the date is 30% too big!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    I don't know if this is right or not but the eagles head just dosn't look right to me. I don't know much about high grade TD's but it just doesn't look right to me.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Here's a real 78-S to compare....
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    I've seen fake trade dollars: look at the rim, you can see imperfetions in the rim and denticles. This helps you indentify real from fake. -cr
  • Options
    rwhiterwhite Posts: 326
    The date is bad..

edit: I guess i should have looked at the responses before I spoke! image
    -Ryan-
  • Options
    lclugzalclugza Posts: 568 ✭✭
    For one thing, the denticles on the "1878CC" appear shorter than on the 1878S.
    image"Darkside" gold
  • Options
    yeppers..that dickwad also ran other bogus ebay auctions and then bragged about it here ..what a tool
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Type I reverses were last used in 1876. The berry between the Eagle's left claw should not be there.
  • Options
    Didn't this guy already sell this same coin a little while ago?
    Alpha Mike Foxtrot
  • Options
    DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    One has to wonder what kind of dumb butt would bid on and win an obvious counterfeit trade dollar!?

• Options
    HadleydogHadleydog Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭
    One has to wonder what kind of dumb butt would bid on and win an obvious counterfeit trade dollar!?
    That kind of attitude I think our hobby could do without. image
  • Options
    Some one who collects counterfiet coins
    Thats who
  • Options
    Do you mean besides the fact that that particular seller is claiming that the coin is 'most likely real' .....??????? imageimage
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    the seller, carterhaines, is a forum member and, allegedly, a teenager. He is obviously a criminal in training, based on his bogus auctions and his experiments with AT. He is a punk who will surely end up in jail sooner or later. Hey carterhaines, don't drop the soap.....
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    8 in date is way too large and it has type I obv and rev both of which were last used in 1876.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    it's fake because it is a counterfeit.

K S
  • Options
    mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • Options
    It is not so obvious to me as I don't know the difference between a type 1 and later designs. I couldn't see a berry in the left claw. The big 8 in the date is obvious to me.
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Probably made by the ChiCom.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    The kid is movin' on up! He's graduated from cleaned AT'd Morgans to counterfeit Trade Dollars.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    is he really a forum member? if so, it's a serous allegation.

K S
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Karl, sadly he is a forum member.

• Options
    interestingly enough, carterscoins4 has bid in two of carterhaines auctions...AND NO OTHERS. Carterhaines has purported to be 13 years old here, yet speaks with the vocabulary of someone much older. Carterhaines has also claimed to have very little money, yet he has inquired about an overseas purchase of a foreign coin in excess of $1000.
    Alpha Mike Foxtrot
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1 tell on the 78CC is the berry under the eagle's claw. Secondary tell is the weakness on the E in FINE and the lack of period after the E. Tertiary tell is the poorly defined denticles. The last two apply to his other auction as well.

Both his coins for sale are copies. Note that the Reverse on the 78CC and the reverse on the 76CC have the same flaw in the E of "FINE" and no period.

• Options
    Someone must have used a genuine 1873-76 CC coin to make the dies, then changed the "6" to an "8."

Here's a Morgan dollar comparison that shows the same shortened denticles on the fake coin on the right (a real coin is on the left):

image"Darkside" gold
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Russ--

That thread appeared while I was on vacation. I had no idea. Marvelous entertainment. Thanks for the link.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    I don't know much about Trade Dollars period and that just dosen't look right to me.
  • Options
    Man that guys is nothing but trouble get his butt kicked outta E-bay. He scammed a guy out of 72 dollars on a badly done at circulated morgan. (the guy must have been stupid to bid though.) I think ScamCrook should use his magic powers on his gold coin auction going for over 700 $.
  • Options
    keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    As stated in one of the previous threads, there are several attributes that are wrong:

1) The 8 looks like it has been worked
    2) The Obverse is a type I. Type I's went out of production in 1876. The diagnostics are the following: Type I's have the ribbon "LIBERTY" has the tips pointing to the left (as you look at it) and Miss Liberty's hand holding the branch with have a thumb and three fingers. Type Two coins have the tips pointing down and the hand will have a thumb and four fingers distinct.
    3) Th Reverse is a type I as well. Again, as noted earlier, Type I reverses went out of production in 1876 as well. Type I's have the berry centered in the right claw as you view it on the reverse, Type II's have no berry in the claw.

Pictures that TDN attached, show these differences well. There are several other diagnostics of Type I and II obverse and reverse but they are subtle relative to the ones above. Hope this helps.

keoj
  • Options
    Wow he bought some mini torches. Link
  • Options
    keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    Oh, by the way, the 1878-CC is a really obvious fake.....TDN and EVP and I have all seen much better ones. There are some sellers that don't sell many coins and I expect that they are not experts (ie ignorance is acceptable in this case). However, there are other sellers which just use this supposed lack of knowledge to peddle counterfeits to the unsuspecting. If this is a seller that sells many coins on eBay, then I would expect a rudimentary level of knowledge in what was being sold. Shame!

keoj
  • Options
    The period after AMERICA is missing on the "1876CC" and "1878CC" as well.
    image"Darkside" gold
  • Options
    Thanks for the thread. I really appreciate learning something about fake Trade Dollars and copies in general.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow he bought some mini torches. Link >>

Looks like Carterhaines just completed his Aswimmer workshop series.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    The seller's Seated dollars are also obvious fakes/alterations as well. The 1847 $10 may or may not be authentic (appears to be from the scan), but it's certainly no MS-61. Buyer beware......
    Paul Fillmore
    ANA LM5200
  • Options
    carterhaines, shame on you.

what goes around comes around.

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file