Home U.S. Coin Forum

Chain Cent in PCGS MS 64

First off, i'd like to say that it is really cool to be able to come here, ask a question and know that someone is going to know the answer, and for that, i thank each of every one of you who make up this board.

The second thing i'd like to say is that i missed this community these last 10 days while i was away.....

....and....does anyone know who is going to be auctioning off the Chain Cent in PCGS MS 64 and does any of you own it?

I saw it in an advert and can't remember who will be auctioning it off.

One more thing....did you see the Bowers catalog with all the color photos? Wowie, wow, wow! Neat for us, not too cool if you're a shareholder........

adrian

Comments

• ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    American Numismatic Rarities.
  • WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Hey Adrian,
    Let me be the first to welcome you back.
  • BustmanBustman Posts: 1,911
    Here it is.
    Chain cent in 64
  • barberloverbarberlover Posts: 2,228 ✭✭
    Neat !!!

If they sold that on a 30 year mortgage I might bid.

Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My ANACS G4 Chain is very close to that thing......they're both round.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • How common are clash marks like those on Chain Cents? Awesome coin.image

BC
    Dip Happens...image
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The clash marks do not appear on all Sheldon-3 (leaning "R", America) Chain Cents, but they appeared on enough of them to give the design the title "Liberty in chains" when these pieces were first issued. This is the most common of the four collectable Chain varieties. There is a 5th variety that is represented by an AU-50 coin and probably one, maybe two Basal State - 1 coins.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭
    By the way, Adrian, this same S-3 was sold by Stacks in 1976 at the TAD sale as an XF-45 coin and the coin is listed in the Noyes census as sharpness-45/net grade-45, tied for 6th finest known of the variety. It last sold for $22,000.00 at the 1988 ANA Sale where it was graded as AU50/55. Now its in a 64 BN holder! Anyone want to guess what it is going to sell for this time around??
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>By the way, Adrian, this same S-3 was sold by Stacks in 1976 at the TAD sale as an XF-45 coin and the coin is listed in the Noyes census as sharpness-45/net grade-45, tied for 6th finest known of the variety. It last sold for $22,000.00 at the 1988 ANA Sale where it was graded as AU50/55. Now its in a 64 BN holder! Anyone want to guess what it is going to sell for this time around?? >>

$85K - I believe most people will think its overgraded. And dark. And too shiny.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought that the coin had a rub below the ear, but I did not want to spoil the party.

As for grading, my Fine-15 Chain cent became a VF-30 when it was graded and my VF-35 Wreath Cent became an AU-55. That might explain why the prices in the VF and AU columns on the Gray Sheet seem to be too low. The answer is VF and AU don't mean what they used to mean. Therefore if you are an old fashioned grader, you will get hosed (or picked off) if you don't adjust to the new systems.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭
    CCU and Bill Jones-- I agree completely. Commercial grading of early copper is about as loose as commercial grading of colonials these days.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    Thanks, CCU and Bustman for the info.

Hey WWW - thanks for the welcome back. It's good in many ways to be back.

So....$85,000. Sounds about right.

I will start a new thread on the grading of coppers. No offense intended...just an attempt by yours truly to seek answers and provoke.

adrian
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $85,000. Sounds about right.

With CDN ask at 75K for MS60, how can 85K "sound right" for a 64?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
    Remember, it has rub over the ear and used to be an XF. Don't pee in my ice cream.
    Don't pee in my ice cream.

Don't pee in my ice cream? image
    Andy Lustig

from the description:

"tiny spot of foreign material sits atop coin at sixth hair strand but is easily removable. "

Ah, yes, the easily removable foreign material. We've all seen the remnants of these......heavy pin scratching in the area of the formerly "easily removable" spot.
    Well, if we're gonna have a pissin' contest, here goes! I'll bet anyone a beer that the coin will hammer at more than 85K. Any takers?
    Andy Lustig

Never bet on something in someone else's control.....but....just a beer? How about if you fly us to where we have it, my choice?
    How about if you fly us to where we have it, my choice?

Provided that the coin is not withdrawn from the sale (gotta be careful when you bet with a snake attorney), how about the winner chooses the place, the airline and the class of the tickets, and the loser pays?
    Andy Lustig

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MrEureka: I wish I could offer an opinion on what I think the final bid price will be on this AU-64 Chain cent but unfortunately, I don't know.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
    No, i was hoping to loose and pay for the beer while you fly us to the spot where we drink it.

Actually, anything (ethical) we can do to make the price low is what would please me.
    Glad you passed. I didn't want to have to bid 86K for the thing, although a trip to Fiji would have been nice!
    Andy Lustig

• shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    I'll guess 115K image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I owned it for a while.

But then the alarm clock went off and I woke up. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • HAMMER PRICE: $100,000.00
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does this mean I should have my SEGS XF graded Chain Cent sent off to NGC to get it into a MS holder now that NGC is grading coppers? Would you crack it out or just ask it to be crossed using the same standards this AU50 coin had applied to turn it into a MS64?
  • Hammer Price:$100,000.01 image
    So, it sold for 100K plus the juice? That was a very good deal for whoever bought it if it was a PQ coin.
  • jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    anyone have the exact hammer?
    100k plus le juice ($115,000).
  • Shylock.......you phychic? Even caught the juice! Damn!!!!

<< <i>I'll guess 115K image >>

The Ex-"Crown Jewel" of my collection! 1915 PF68 (NGC) Barber Half "Eliasberg".

Once again resides with Legend, the original purchaser "raw" at live Eliasberg auction. Laura and i "love" the same lady!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file