Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

my coins came back from pcgs yesterday

1926 SLQ body bag - cleaned - kind of throught it was

1917 tpye 1 SLQ VF20 thats what I guessed

1900S Barber quarter bodybaged - cleaned - the grader clearly was on drugs it looked like a ms63+ it has a beautiful gold tone

1921 Peacedollar bodybag - cleaned - the same crack head grader must have graded this one. I was sure it would have been a VF20

1908 V Nickel AU53 - I paid MS63 money for it and to me it looked like a 63.

I'll take the peace dollar and Barber back to the dealer I bought them at and he will treat me right but I have to eat the 26SLQ I pick up at a show.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer

Comments

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Ouch!, Big stick, no grease!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    3 out of 5 bodybags...OUCHimage

• Options
    Take the SLQ out of the mix, and you have what's known as a "paigowjohnny submission" image

My condolences...
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The AU53 grade doesn't come easy to the Graders. That's two grades away from Mint State (AU55; AU58). I wonder what they saw that you didn't. It'll be interesting for you to get these back and compare your notes with their grades.

peacockcoins

• Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    I going to pick them up this week. maybe I have another pop1 with the au53.

my local dealer
  • Options
    page 3

my local dealer
  • Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    OOOWWWWW!! QUIT IT, QUIT IT!!! [as the tears rolled down his face]
    Will the dealer cover the BB charges, or are there any?
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear the bad news. image
    PCGS,NGC & ANACS certified toned Morgan dollar dealer.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    MacCoin, sorry to hear of those poor results. Maybe you should post pictures of these coins here and forum members can try to tell you why they were graded this way- it would be a good learning experience for all of us. mike
  • Options
    they are at the dealer I submitted them with he about 75 miles south of where I like and 50 miles of work. but I'm going after them this week and see what kind of deal the guy that sold the barber and the peace will give me. he may give me credit for what I paid for them. I think it was a little over a hundred bucks for both.

my local dealer
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll take the peace dollar and Barber back to the dealer I bought them at and he will treat me right >>

What do you mean by "treat you right"? Are you expecting the dealer to refund your money for the coins because PCGS bodybagged them? If that's the case, and you think that PCGS is wrong as you clearly stated, why would he need to do anything at all?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Hey Mac -

Given the significant disparity between your results and your expectations, I think you may want to spend a little time trying to understand how PCGS arrived at their grades before you spend any more money on raw coins. I promise you you won't regret it.

• Options
    I mean he ask to see them when they came back and said if they did grade what for what I paid for them he would buy them back. to me he is a very honest guy, but I'm sure he knows I'll just turn around and spend the refund at his shop plus more. if the dealer treat his customer right he do fine with me.

I have spent 100s of dollars at that shop and if he keeps treating me like this I'll send 100s more

my local dealer
  • Options
    Just send them to ANACS - they will note "cleaned" on the holder but will give you the grade.
  • Options
    Buying RAW coins can be costly.I don't buy them any more,only graded coins from PCGS/NGC.
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Well, let's see.

You are going to take a couple of coins back to your local dealer "to treat you right"

If this is the same dealer that you link, then he grades about like you do. Problem is that the pros see it differently.

If you thought SLQ was cleaned, and it was, plus the other two that didn't quite make it, did you take the time to study the actual results?

There are lessons here if you are willing to learn.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    its not the same dealer I linked to but I guess you're right about his grading skills and mine image one thing about the old classic most nice barbers have been cleaned its not like sending in the moderns or big old morgans. I guess I should have seen the peace dollar had been clean too. a lessons well learned at 25.00 a pop.

my local dealer
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    With all those body bags, have you ever thought

about going into the....................................................................................... mortuary bussiness.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    my3cents, Ive never understood why someone would want to send to ANACS and have a slab that states everything negative about a coin! Maybe someone can enlighten me! Whats exciting about a slab that says CLEANED on it?
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    How about CORRODED, now thats a turn on!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    Wallstreetman - sorry it took me so long to reply...

One of the reasons I get a coin slabbed is to preserve and protect it from the elements and from handling. Another is to get an "expert", independent opinion of the grade.

If I send a "doubtful" coin to PCGS, they won't slab it but will still charge me as if they had. I end up accomplishing neither of the above goals. With ANACS, I am guaranteed both. So it is, IMO, better to send a questionable coin to them.

If I had only one purpose in mind for the coin, i.e., resale after grading, then I would concede your point...ANACS probably wouldn't be the best idea.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file