Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this auction for 1919-D SLQ NGC MS66 on the level?

Seller just sold this coin on 6/16/03, and got + feedback. Apparently he has another? With the same fantastic coloring?

He does not reply to questions. Anyone know eagle_seller? The name sounds familiar.

1919-D SLQ NGC MS66

Comments

• Options
    ToneloverTonelover Posts: 1,554
    I was noticing that item myself. Seller's history only goes back 30 days but up until recently you'd have seen that he actually sold it TWICE with no reserve, this is the third time it's up for sale. Two unhappy or non-paying bidders in a row, what are the chances?
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a terrific coin. I wonder what the problem is....?

jom
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Folks,

I know this guy, and he is an honest person. He is not trying to rip anyone off. He did have two 19-D specimens, but one got returned (don't know why) and was re-listed.

Honest - no scam here.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin certianly looks legit. It is in an easily identifiable pre-barcode NGC holder. I wonder if the problem is with the bidders rather than the seller?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    Someone won a real beauty!

EVP- Glad you were able to validate the seller and his coins before suspicious paranoia began to run rampant.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The color looks original on the coin. The only thing which would prevent me from bidding on it is the big fingerprint on the obverse at about 12:00.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    FinallyHereFinallyHere Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to also say I know this person very well and he is honest, fair and knows coins. I would have no questions about the coin or the seller.

Mike Printz
    Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
    https://hjbltd.com/#!/department/us-coins
  • Options
    Thanks EVP & Finallyhere for the clarification. Too late for me to bid as the seller replied to my questions. That fingerprint [?] does not bother me.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Felt that the $3150 it went for was a good deal for a 95+% head coin. No doubt the potential buyers were playing games hoping to rip a shot $30,000 full head coin for under $5K. Probably why it was returned. I already told the seller I'd like a shot at the coin if the latest buyer also passed once he found out it wasn't a slam dunk FH coin. In many cases FH coins of both services won't come back FH every time.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    The original deal fell through for some reason, I was the underbidder and had the option to buy it but had already obligated funds to another coin. I've purchased 2 Flying Eagles from this seller (Bustman on the forum) and they were both outstanding.
  • Options
    This would have been a perfect coin for me but I have to cut back on my purchases of "off topic" coins. lol It's a non-FH, nicely toned piece. Hence, you're getting a great coin for much less than you would if it were FH....

jom
  • Options

<< <i>EVP- Glad you were able to validate the seller and his coins before suspicious paranoia began to run rampant. >>

the voices in my head were yelling, "scammer, scammer!"
    right now they're telling me the neighbor's dog is the mesiah.
    they're hardly ever right.

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    There's a ten fold increase in value just adding the FH designation? Isn't this a "classic" coin?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classic or modern, a 10 fold jump in price for an ear hole or leaf sprig is certainly ridiculous.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>Classic or modern, a 10 fold jump in price for an ear hole or leaf sprig is certainly ridiculous. >>

I agree but people pay it.

The problem I have with these designations is that if you took a coin that was identical to this one WITH a full head and compared the overall eye appeal it simply would NOT be "10X eye appeal" of the other non-FH piece. IMO, the eye appeal difference just doesn't merit a large difference in price. I don't complain about it however. I just like to take advantage of the fact you can get just a nice of coin for 10 times less. That can only be a good thing! image

jom
  • Options
    BustmanBustman Posts: 1,911

<< <i>Thanks EVP & Finallyhere for the clarification. Too late for me to bid as the seller replied to my questions. That fingerprint [?] does not bother me. >>

Ohbaby is a liar. He never emailed me any questions about the coin, and I certainly never replied to the ficticious questions. Why he would say that......I am not sure.
    While I could see why someone may have been a bit suspect of the auction, there is no reason to lie about it.
    As far as the coin auction, I had two NGC 1919-D coins.
    One sold and stuck about a month ago. The buyer was very happy and left a positive feedback.
    The second one was returned twice by people looking for a full head upgrade ( I have a return policy and I honor it). It was listed for the third time with new pictures when ohbaby posted his thread.
    No scam here.
    Thanks to those who posted a kind word about me in this thread. I believe it helped put an end to what may have been another witch hunt.
    John
  • Options
    BTW,
    The coin was oustanding. The buyer got a great deal on a very PQ coin.

also, does anyone know what is wrong with this Ohbaby guy? He keeps sending me pm's..... insisting I was up to something. He really should be a man at this point and admit that he was wrong about the auction, and that he lied about contacting me.
  • Options
    DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    Bustman- That is a beautiful coin. I'm sure the winning bidder was happy to win that coin for that price. I was sure happy to see EVP validate the auction, seller (you) and the coin. His intervention helped to stem the flow of suspicious paranoia.

• Options

<< <i>also, does anyone know what is wrong with this Ohbaby guy? He keeps sending me pm's..... insisting I was up to something. >>

I dunno but maybe you can post the pictures of BOTH coins you sold.

ONE: you might get this guy off you back

TWO: I'd get to see the other coin which is no longer visible on the old auction. image

jom
  • Options
    Hey Russ,

I don't get it. There's a huge spread between a 64 Kennedy PF68DCAM and a 64 AH PF68DCAM, about 10 fold as well. FH SLQ's are rare, esp the branch mints, cause only the first several hundred strikes on the die got the full detail intended, so I think a 10 fold increase is acceptable.

I'm not saying I'd pay it, cause I'd seek out a PQ non FH example like this one and get it at a huge discount. Right or not, if it doesn't have the FH designation, the market doesn't pay a percentage for the percentage of the head. That way, buying a 90% FH piece you're getting a bargain as far as I'm concerned. I wish I had the kind of money this piece went for cause it's a beauty.

David
    David
  • Options
    Jom,
    Sorry, the old one is no longer in my host site either ( auction watch). If I can find it in my own archives I'll post both. Incidently, both coins were purchased from Steve Sabatino of SLQ coins. He is a great source for gorgeous high end SLQs. Both were very nice, and I lost a little bit of money on the 2nd one. That's life.
    As far as getting the guy off my back....I'm just not opening anymore pm's from him. I can't waste more time on him.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't get it. There's a huge spread between a 64 Kennedy PF68DCAM and a 64 AH PF68DCAM, about 10 fold as well. FH SLQ's are rare, esp the branch mints, cause only the first several hundred strikes on the die got the full detail intended, so I think a 10 fold increase is acceptable. >>

David,

That's an apples to oranges comparison. The Accented Hair is a variety. Full Head is a strike designator.

But, my point wasn't about the value difference in this particular coin anyway. I was illuminating the hypocrisy of some "classics" collectors who are always ranting about the "stupidity" of paying multiples for a modern coin because it's graded a point higher. I really see little difference between that and paying 10X more money for a "classic" just because it is marginally better struck.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>As far as getting the guy off my back....I'm just not opening anymore pm's from him. I can't waste more time on him. >>

Bustman,

You can add him to the ignore section, and you won't even have to see the PMs at all.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Thanks, Russ. And so it is done.image
  • Options
    For the record, I did not contact Bustman, he contacted me with a PM, full of offensive accusations. I have no idea who he is. Apparantly he cannot read. I asked a legitimate question. He is full of paranoia and accused me of conducting a witchhunt and being up to something. This despite my publicly saying here, I liked the coin despite the fingerprint. Go figure. Some people are so sensitive to criticism it boggles the mind.

How many times per week do we see fraud on ebay? I was being careful. This was an unusual auction, 2 different SLQs both NGC 66s same date auctioned within a month of each other.

Tonelover made the same observation:
    I was noticing that item myself. Seller's history only goes back 30 days but up until recently you'd have seen that he actually sold it TWICE with no reserve, this is the third time it's up for sale. Two unhappy or non-paying bidders in a row, what are the chances?

I suspect Bustman is pissed and embarassed he made a bad decision and lost money on his purchase. I also suspect Bustman was upset I did not know who he is {big ego?}. Don't take it out on me Bustman, not my fault. Take your medication and you will be fine.

Ciao!
  • Options
    For the record, I am not embarrased or pissed ( although I do have a fairly large ego)...... I just don't like liars. Don't tell people you contacted the seller( me) and I answered you back, when that never happened. You can't dispute that! it is you that is embarassed for being caught in a lie.
  • Options

<< <i>But, my point wasn't about the value difference in this particular coin anyway. I was illuminating the hypocrisy of some "classics" collectors who are always ranting about the "stupidity" of paying multiples for a modern coin because it's graded a point higher. I really see little difference between that and paying 10X more money for a "classic" just because it is marginally better struck. >>

Hey Russ

I know what you are saying but actually it isn't a "classic" thing vs "modern" unless you think "modern" = 20th century. Because where you find most of the large jump in price between grades is mostly in 20th century coinage. Either with AU to MS, MS64 to MS65 or some strike designations. There are a few of these kinds of things in 19th century peices but it is not as predominate as it is for series in the 20th century.

jom
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not think Bustman is any more paranoid than the average person, nor do I think he has a bigger ego than the typical person. And, I don't think he'd overreact to losing some money on the sale of his other SLQ.

Bustman -- John -- is a nice guy. Not perfect; just nice and normal. Can he be wrong? Yeah, but no more likely than OhBaby can be wrong.

I will say this: this forum has a tendency to foment witchhunts, even if that was not the initial intent.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    Ok, why don't we let this one die and move on.
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Because there are so many scams on eBay, I would kindly suggest that both Bustman and Ohbaby just kiss and make up. It is not that big of deal. We are just protecting each other from the bad guys and both of you seem the good guys. No big deal, let's just go forward.

Tom
    Tom

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file