Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When Does the Modern Era Begin - A Summary of the Poll - Flash Franklins Considered Classics

Thanks to all who voted in the poll.

The majority felt that 1965 was the correct point to begin the modern era. A significant minority believed it differs per denomination. In that view, I believe moderns/classics would break as follows:

1c Wheat Lincolns and prior classic - Memorials modern. 1959
5c Buffalo nickels and prior classic - Jeffersons modern. 1938
10c, 25c, 50c All silver Roosies, Washingtons, and Kennedys and prior classic - all clads moderns. 1965
$1 Peace dollars and prior classic - IKEs and beyond modern.

I kind of agree with the minority view. However, I really consider early Jeffersons in the same camp as silver dimes, quarters, etc. Perhaps the classic/modern break for nickels could be when the designer initials were placed on the obverse in 1966.

It was very interesting that very few put the break at 1950. It seems the majority consider Franklins, 50's silver Roosies and Washingtons to be classics. I believe that represents a gradual change of attitude. In the past I would have called Franklins moderns. now I am beginning to view them as classics. I am still having a little difficulty calling 1950s 10c and 25c classics, but am beginning to see the light. I see that Legend coins has a policy of not buying coins minted after 1950. So, it seems that some of the classics dealers are struggling with the 50s as well. I note that Pinnacle has up a group of Franklins w/o the normal comment that "they don't usually sell moderns, but these were too good to pass up".

Greg

Comments

• Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    Sorry, I think I missed the poll. I'm close to the significant minority:

10c Mercs and prior classic - Roosies modern
    25c Standing Lib and prior classic - Washington modern
    50c Walking Lib and prior classic - Franklins modern

I like Frankies and all, I just don't consider them "classic".

-KHayse
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    I believe this is a accurate break-down, although I personally think the new modern era would be when the mint went from silver to clad coins, maybe because I was born in the fifties anything before my birth would seem classic. Fred

10c Mercs and prior classic - Roosies modern
    25c Standing Lib and prior classic - Washington modern
    50c Walking Lib and prior classic - Franklins modern

• Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    Looks like we are still struggling with the majority view on Franklins. On Washington's I have no problem calling 30s pieces classics. Only in the 50s do I have problems.

Greg
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭
    Clad era= modern, pre clad= classic. Pre small cent era=Old Timey Coins.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    Wheat cent and before classic
    Buffalo nickel and before classic
    Merc dime and before classic
    SLQ quarter and before classic
    WL half and before classic
    Peace dollar and before classic
    gold 1933 or before classic
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    the Fifties are Classics!!! Like this 55 and my 55 Frankie!

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    Now I'm going to get on Lucy's bad side. imageimage

-Khayse
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Every coin at one time was modern.

When the US first started minting coins in the 1790s they were modern. I wonder if the question was, how old does a coin have to be to be a classic if the results would be the same?

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Lucy Doesn't Have A Bad Side!!! image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I simply can't picture most 20th century coinage in my mind when I think of "classic". Liberty nickels and Barbers, maybe. And perhaps even SLQ's could slide in there. But to me "classic" means 19th century or earlier.

OTOH, when I think of "modern" I do think in terms of 1965 to present. It seems that for the strictly defined "modern" category, 1965 makes sense since that's when we saw the big change to pot metal coinage.

So, I'm going to call all the tweener stuff "post-classic" or "pre-modern". image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    A Classic, Plain and simple..... Yikes, all this chrome gets hot in 105 degrees! The 55 is all American and the best of times.... Good Music, Awesome cars, and some Killer Half dollars!

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Good Music, Awesome cars, and some Killer Half dollars! >>

Two out of three ain't bad.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    When Does the Modern Era Begin ...Doesn't really matter to me. I collect whatever I feel like collecting......Ken
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Gee Lucy you look like you are about to die in that photo. I'll take my 94 GMC 3/4 ton truck with nice, ice cold AC.
  • Options
    my 55 has ac, but, this was at a recent car show.... This car is equipped with ac, disc brakes dropped spindles, griffen aluminum radiator and a stroker 383 that is pushing 400hp......
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my list of modern guide posts:

Lincoln cents 1934 and later - these coins were saved and traded in roll quantites.

Nickels - The moderns start with the the Jefferson nickel in 1938. The 1938-D Buffalo nickels are common as dirt in BU, but they escape because they were the last of their kind. The buffalo nickel is a true classic.

Dimes. Like the Lincoln cents, 1934 is good place to make a mark.

Quarters - Washington started the modern era in 1932. That's not say that there are not some very scarce modern coins in BU condition. The 1932-D is a prime example.

Half Dollars - Once more 1934 is good place to make the mark. Bid prices on the Grade sheet for BU coins in roll quantities is a good bench mark.

Silver dollars - Ike leads the way. Anything before Ike is a Classic, even if it is very common.

The Old commemoratives are all classic. The BTW, Washington-Carver and Iowa escape because they are collected with the other classic coins.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file