Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Little League Dilemma--SOLVED: Reason Wins Out

RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
My son's all-star team just won their district and are moving on to sectionals this weekend. If they win, they go to state finals the week of the ANA show, for which I have a table. I am the third base coach and give all the signs when we bat. Advice, please. If they go to the state tourney, do I miss states to set up, or do I have someone cover my table to be at states? I'm leaning toward missing the show. Help!image

Comments

• Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Go with the kid. Always go with the kid. Everything else is second best. (Father of three teenagers.)

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    Oh, no, now you did it! Did you ever play organized sports Rick? Never, never, never look past the next game. It's almost a surefire way to assure a loss in this weekend's game. A jinx I tell you!

Now there's only 1 way to remove this curse. You must do it for your son's sake. Think how heart broken he'll be knowing his father cursed his chance for a state championship.

PO Box 7865
    Northridge, CA 91327.

I will then contact an x-girlfriend of mine that is well versed in voo-doo, and I will have her sacrifice 2 chickens, 3 goats and a pot-belly pig and the curse should be lifted. The pattern is for expenses of course, the right animals are very expensive.

imageimage

Worry about it next week, see what happens this weekend.

Michael
  • Options
    I did play baseball in college, and I figure the jinks can be handled by just wearing all the same clothes I've been wearing to games for the past two weeks. It's worked so far. Okay, I'll send the pattern, but no voodoo. What do you think I am, superstitious?image
  • Options
    LokiLoki Posts: 898 ✭✭
    You don't want your son to forever hate coin collecting because that's what took Dad away from the most important game of his whole life, do you? Hmmm? image
    It's a no-brainer imo. I'm sure you can find some trusting soul to help you with your table if need be.
  • Options
    Why are you asking us. You need to make this decision on your own!!
  • Options
    No Brainer. Your coins will never end up telling thier shrink how "dad" cared more for his kids than spending time with us....

Glenn

Live Long and Prospect.
  • Options
    Go to the game! Lifes too short and there will be more shows.
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Your leaning the right way.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    Rick: Not going to the game not only will disappoint your son, it will let down the whole team. How would you react if your best player said he couldn't make it because he was going to attend ANA instead?
  • Options
    There's even a question about this?!?!?! Get the priorities straight - family ALWAYS takes precedence!
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    No contest - your son will only be at this tournament at this age once - he'll be looking to his dad to give him the signals and inspiration from third base - Rick - whatever you do - don't blow this one - coins will always be around! image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    I understand your dilemma, but what would your son want?

Family ALWAYS comes first.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Thanks for setting me straight. Sometimes I lose sight of the forest. For those who wondered why I came to the forum to get feedback, your answers are the reason. I knew I'd get sincere, no-nonsense answers. Thanks again.
  • Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    RKK,

After also coaching baseball for 15+ years, with and without both of my son's involvement
    it would be impossible for me to not be there at such an important/special time in ALL of these young men's
    lives.......

We all can get a bit "possessed" with coins......been there, still do.....occasionally!image

Enjoy the tournament! It only haapens for most once....in a lifetime!image
    Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • Options
    Be with the kid. After he wins the game then take him to the coin show.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    shows come and go, your kid may NEVER reach this pinnacle again. Any time you can spend time with a kid is more valuable than coins.

edited for typo correction
  • Options
    Go with the kid and if you really want you can give me the patterns and like $750,000 so I can buy and sell for you at the show! image
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Family trumps coins. Sports trumps coins.

Go to the game! And win!
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wearing all the same clothes I've been wearing ... for the past two weeks

Just like any other coin dealer!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    6 months ago at FUN I commented here on your dedication to leave the show as a "newbie dealer" to attend a regular season Little League game. Now, 6 months later as an established "coin dealer" this big game comes along and you need to ask this question? oh dear

Wondercoin image
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Sorry I got on this late, but it would not be a question, GO TO THE BALLGAME! I too, love my coin shows, like wondercoin mentioned, I attended the FUN in January, but if I was still coaching baseball, I would be at the game. It is alot more important to work with the kids, than any coin show could ever offer in enjoyment or money. JMHO.
    Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
  • Options
    Thanks again for all your comments. I was momenarily blinded by setting up my first ANA table and worried about that. However, your "wake up and smell the coffee" advice made me realize the stupidity in even having a question about it. No brainer! Thanks again for your input.image

Thanks, also, to jbsteven and boiler78 for offering to cover the table. They are two really good guys and two true friends. image
  • Options
    supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    What?? Go to the show! You're the one paying the bills. If your rug rat complains, tell him to take a cab to the game with his newspaper route money.

Hmm... maybe I've been in this business too long. image
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear that you decided on the game. I know the kids would have missed seeing you on the field.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Your wife can't coach third?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Coaching third base at the championship game for your son. What memories!!! True story!! Bottom of seventh, bases loaded, 2 outs, game tied, my son at bat. Signal is to bunt. My son was a great bunter. He bunts, throwing error to first base, everyone scores, WE WIN!!! .............................................................................................
    ........................GO TO THE GAME my friend....Ken
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks, also, to jbsteven and boiler78 for offering to cover the table >>

Keep an eye on that jbsteven guy...he don't wear a Rolex for nuthin' image
  • Options
    Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
  • Options
    I hope this doesn't get too long. Short answer... Go to the baseball game.

Long answer... I read an article last year where some person complained to the editor of my local newspaper that the US Team missed the first couple of days of school because of the Little League World Series. I immediately wrote a rebuttal to the editor that stated how "Life's experiences are the best education". I went on to say how these young men lived a dream where the whole country wanted to know them and wanted to root for them. They were in the spot light. A significant potential life altering event was happening to each of them.

I was fortunate enough to watch my son play on a little league team that won a few games before being eliminated. What fun we all had. Memories like that last forever.

What seems like such a short amount of time for adults is a very long amount of time for these young baseball players. We all seem to forget what it was like. Your decision to go to the game will make your son happy and will provide you and your son with memories that you will both have for a life time.

Numonebuyer
  • Options
    mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭
    Go for the memories. I was coaching third in Allstar play. We were down 1-0 bottom of 4th. Huge kid pitching against us, could NOT hit. He walked 2 batters with 2 outs and up comes our scared 9th up batter. First 2 pitches he bails out big time, 0-2 count. I called time and told him it was an important part of the game and he had to step into pitch and hit one up an alley. Next pitch he tomahawks a high fast ball over the fence. I`ll never forget the crowd going nuts and everyone asking me later what I said to him. Yes we won and a great lifetime memory that we talked about for years as he went on to be a star in high school!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file